49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

9 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

So, Ben Boulware spends all preseason with the Panthers, is released, signed by us the week we happen to be playing the Panthers, and the immediately released two days after the game....hmmmm lol. Guess he served his purpose. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So, Ben Boulware spends all preseason with the Panthers, is released, signed by us the week we happen to be playing the Panthers, and the immediately released two days after the game....hmmmm lol. Guess he served his purpose. 

Hadn't thought about this till you pointed it out.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe PS eligibility? 

More likely that we never needed two backup tackles (with Gilliam still here), and even though the team probably wants to move on from Beadles, he remains the only experienced backup interior lineman once Tomlinson takes over at LG. I think if the team finds a G it wants to pursue, then Beadles is in deep trouble. 

As for why Theus over Gilliam, I could buy PS eligibility for that one. 

3 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Elijah Lee it is, dude was a beast at Kansas State.

Was a fan of Lee coming out, took him in 4-5 rounds in several mocks. Little offput that he dropped to the 7th and couldn't crack Minnesota's roster, but that defense also isn't the easiest to break into given their talent. I'm happy with this signing. Hopefully we an get Theus back on the PS - I thought he should some talent this pre season, and given the o-line struggles, I'd like to keep him in house for the time being. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was a fan of Lee coming out, took him in 4-5 rounds in several mocks. Little offput that he dropped to the 7th and couldn't crack Minnesota's roster, but that defense also isn't the easiest to break into given their talent. I'm happy with this signing. Hopefully we an get Theus back on the PS - I thought he should some talent this pre season, and given the o-line struggles, I'd like to keep him in house for the time being. 

I'm okay either way, honestly. Him getting signed means a likely goodbye to Darrell Williams, as the team doesn't have much reason to keep 3 OL there. I didn't notice much of a difference between the two, and Theus was not particularly good in the first preseason game. That said - practice squad guys, for the most part, I could take or leave without much concern. 

I like the choice of Lee. Will be interesting to see what he can bring to the table in the coming weeks. Maybe when Foster comes back, if we want to make another roster move, Coyle can get dumped instead. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm okay either way, honestly. Him getting signed means a likely goodbye to Darrell Williams, as the team doesn't have much reason to keep 3 OL there. I didn't notice much of a difference between the two, and Theus was not particularly good in the first preseason game. That said - practice squad guys, for the most part, I could take or leave without much concern. 

I like the choice of Lee. Will be interesting to see what he can bring to the table in the coming weeks. Maybe when Foster comes back, if we want to make another roster move, Coyle can get dumped instead. 

Forgot that Williams was on the PS. Yeah, I mean if push comes to shove, I suppose that I would likely want to keep Williams, though I don't think that I would be particularly put off either way. 

I wonder how Lee did in coverage for the Vikings during his tenure there. That was the one thing I was expecting him to be pretty good at in the NFL. Those guys aren't always the easiest to come by either. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Forgot that Williams was on the PS. Yeah, I mean if push comes to shove, I suppose that I would likely want to keep Williams, though I don't think that I would be particularly put off either way. 

I wonder how Lee did in coverage for the Vikings during his tenure there. That was the one thing I was expecting him to be pretty good at in the NFL. Those guys aren't always the easiest to come by either. 

I thought Williams showed some potential in his brief preseason appearances.  I'd rather keep him than THeus.

Archived