49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

16 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Still crazy to me some people couldn't see how obvious it was to keep Harbaugh over Baalke. Including our owner. Doesn't matter if he favored Roman or some diva players got tired with his coaching methods. Hope it's easier for those same detractors to see why Harbs apparently wanted more roster control. Baalke was such a cancer.

I'm much happier with Kyle than I would be with Harbaugh in his seventh season of good-but-not-good-enough coaching. Sure, Harbaugh was a better option than Baalke, but I don't believe he would have won us a championship. He peaked in his second season, and I doubt there was another peak in his hypothetical future. Baalke peaked in his first offseason, then it simply went downhill real fast from there. So sure, Harbaugh was better, but neither was the answer. It's early, and Kyle might be. In a way, maybe Baalke helped make it happen, by sucking this much.

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see a WR picked up from somewhere Ish Zamora, Austin Carr would be nice

If people can get past the obvious issue with Zamora, he'd be a guy I'd bring in. Super raw, but he's got incredible ability. We also may have already had our fill of Baylor receivers though lol

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Interesting thought....wonder who else we might look for. Have QB, RB, DL, and OT spots locked up - Will likely go WR, TE, OG, LB, DB for others and double up on another position (my guess - WR or DB). With Bourne and Bolden making the team, DeAndre Carter was my default guess as a guy who could make it, but I won't be broken up if he doesn't. Hikutini and Calitro are really the only two left that I really want to stick around. 

I'm assuming that Cole gets signed, and I'm really hoping for Calitro. I don't know how the staff couldn't be somewhat impressed by what he did, particularly given his late start. I'd like to take a stab at Dorian Johnson if he went unclaimed - 4 year starter at pitt, has some talent. The liver issues are scary, but whatever, it's a PS spot. I Like Harlan Miller out of Arizona as well as secondary help, so I'd advocate for that move. Ishmael Zamora would work for me as a receiver. That gets me to 9. Not sure who else. 

4 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm much happier with Kyle than I would be with Harbaugh in his seventh season of good-but-not-good-enough coaching. Sure, Harbaugh was a better option than Baalke, but I don't believe he would have won us a championship. He peaked in his second season, and I doubt there was another peak in his hypothetical future. Baalke peaked in his first offseason, then it simply went downhill real fast from there. So sure, Harbaugh was better, but neither was the answer. It's early, and Kyle might be. In a way, maybe Baalke helped make it happen, by sucking this much.

Couldn't have said it any better. Helluva football coach but Harbaugh was never going to lead this franchise to its sixth Lombardi. And the realization of that made his departure alot easier for me to stomach than most. He could very well win a national championship when all is said and done but I don't see his offensive philosophy winning it all at the pro level. The read-option and a stellar defense got him close but ultimately defenses around the league caught up to his offense and he never adjusted nor seemed to want to.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Couldn't have said it any better. Helluva football coach but Harbaugh was never going to lead this franchise to its sixth Lombardi. And the realization of that made his departure alot easier for me to stomach than most. He could very well win a national championship when all is said and done but I don't see his offensive philosophy winning it all at the pro level. The read-option and a stellar defense got him close but ultimately defenses around the league caught up to his offense and he never adjusted nor seemed to want to.

read option in its first year in the nfl when coaches had no idea how to defend it.  By his second year they were already handling it pretty well.  Not that a read option play wouldn't work every now and then.  But I don't believe any NFL defense is going to beat by the read option any longer.  You could tell by the fact that Kap's stats, and our team record got steadily worse after that first year when that attack took the league by surprise.

30 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

There he is! Both DeAndre Carter and DeAndre Smelter also join the practice squad. No news on Calitro so far. Paulsen has been cut to make room for Cooper, but will resign when Blair goes to IR.

They must love football, or have nothing else to fall back on at this point in their lives. I would have thought they'd hang it up by now.

I guess now that we're down to 2 qbs putting Mullins on the PS makes sense.  He knows the offense, and maybe there's something there that can be developed.  But while watching his one half of play last game I must admit I was thinking it was nice of Shanny to give him some playing time so he could tell his kids and gradkids that he once played a game in the NFL.

Carter coming back, I know i'm in the minority but I still like this dude as a receiver. Boldin and Taylor showed more so far overall but Carter as just a receiver has a lot of potential still that I wouldnt mind see getting a chance if Taylor/Goodwin/Robinson/Boldin go down for any extended period. 

Archived