49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So he was the DL Maiocco was referring too. 

I saw he was released by the Browns and was really intrigued because I loved him coming out of WASU. But then I looked at some PFF grades and saw he was rated very poorly in the run game. But I think he'll be solid depth behind Buckner with some versatility to play 1-6 technique in certain packages

I think DB could have been addressed better but I gotta say I think we crushed it this offseason with the changes we made to our roster. I know a lot of you are nitpicking just for the sake of talking about the moves that have happened this past week, but this has met my expectations for this team moving forward. Who cares if we didn't sign some guy cut by a team in the last couple days. 

Question: can we sign a guy like Brad Kayya, Brandon Allen or Kyle Sloter to the practice squad or do other teams have priority over us? 

I think we can sign them to practice squad because I'm fairly certain that's what the Panthers just did with Kaaya. 

I agree with @48 1/2ers, I love what we've done this offseason and am just being picky right now with these possible waiver pick ups. The reality is unless we previously had an in depth scouting report on some of these guys or previous experience with them i think it was a long shot that these guys were improvements over what we already have. Plus you factor in the time it would take for these guys to get adjusted in our scheme and our coaching staff to learn each players individual playing style, strength and weaknesses and it's just more of a project than what you want to take on headed into season. Unless the player being added offered an obvious upgrade of talent to a position, it's probably easier and wiser to ride with what we know. 

With all that said, unless I'm mistaken none of the guys I previously mentioned have been picked up yet so there's still a chance haha.

13 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think DB could have been addressed better but I gotta say I think we crushed it this offseason with the changes we made to our roster. I know a lot of you are nitpicking just for the sake of talking about the moves that have happened this past week, but this has met my expectations for this team moving forward. Who cares if we didn't sign some guy cut by a team in the last couple days. 

Question: can we sign a guy like Brad Kayya, Brandon Allen or Kyle Sloter to the practice squad or do other teams have priority over us? 

If they clear waivers, I believe that they can sign with any practice squad (I asked y2 the same thing), however we have already signed Mullens to the PS, so I don't think it's likely that we carry two quarterbacks on there (though Brandon Allen was somewhat impressive for Jax this preseason - wasn't aware he had been cut)

I don't really care about the waiver...those are all young guys that you're essentially signing with a hope and a prayer. I do find it funny that with all the good teams cutting players, the one guy we claim is from a team that will likely be as bad as us lol. 

Archived