Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

How do you get better Akeem Hicks?

I pick one thing I want to get better at and work on mostly that in camp.

I don't fear the man who practices 10,000 kicks.  I fear the man who practices one kick 10,000 times.  - Bruce Lee

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 11:33 AM, WindyCity said:

I did not log on to take a victory lap about Robert Nkemdiche being a bust waiting to happen.

Speaking of which.

From a 2016 GM mock I participated in (LOL):

TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to do write up later today on depth chart thread to explain most of this but I am coming away pretty happy.

DRAFT PICKS
Round 1, #23: Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss
Round 2, #44: Jonathan Bullard, DL, Florida
Round 2, #45: Darian Thompson, SS, Boise St.
Round 4, #123: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford
Round 5, #140: Juston Burris, CB/FS, N.C. State
Round 5, #154: Nick Vigil, ILB, Utah St.
Round 6, #194: Aaron Wallace, LB, UCLA
Round 7, #244: Darius Jackson, RB, Eastern Michigan
Trade acquisition: Brian Schwenke OC/OG

Last edited by TiberiusRising on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

• Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 11:33 AM, WindyCity said:

I did not log on to take a victory lap about Robert Nkemdiche being a bust waiting to happen.

My thoughts in 2016 on Nkemdiche:  "dll2000: Nkemdiche is off my board for being too high a risk without enough college production."

I had some other write ups where I said he is a likely bust, but I couldn't find them.  I was obviously not right about every player, no one is.  But I got that one right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

My thoughts in 2016 on Nkemdiche:  "dll2000: Nkemdiche is off my board for being too high a risk without enough college production."

I had some other write ups where I said he is a likely bust, but I couldn't find them.  I was obviously not right about every player, no one is.  But I got that one right.

Yeah I was at the other end with him. I saw him as a guy who just needed the right situation to get the motivation out of him because the natural talent is so obvious. He has so much God given ability. This has been an out and out **** show though. Never found the drive in Arizona to hone his craft, and that’s a shame. 

I wonder if things would have gone differently for him had he landed with a team that had actual direction and stable leadership from the top down like, say, ours right now. 

I’d bring him in on no real guarantee and see if he can take Bullard’s job. He’s underachieved too though at least he’s serviceable. What’s the worst that can happen - we cut Nkemdiche a week later and are no worse for wear, at the expense of our current DL12 with no real shot at making the NFL anyway? Why not? This is completely different than weighing selecting him in round 1 of the draft 3 years ago. He’s a street FA. We’re talking a 1-year minimum salary benefit type deal. If he shows something then maybe he makes the team, produces a few plays then signs elsewhere next year and nets us a late round comp pick. If he shows nothing then we pay him a nominal signing bonus ($25k?) that won’t make a lick of difference to our cap situation for a week long look see. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah I was at the other end with him. I saw him as a guy who just needed the right situation to get the motivation out of him because the natural talent is so obvious. He has so much God given ability. This has been an out and out **** show though. Never found the drive in Arizona to hone his craft, and that’s a shame. 

I wonder if things would have gone differently for him had he landed with a team that had actual direction and stable leadership from the top down like, say, ours right now. 

I’d bring him in on no real guarantee and see if he can take Bullard’s job. He’s underachieved too though at least he’s serviceable. What’s the worst that can happen - we cut Nkemdiche a week later and are no worse for wear, at the expense of our current DL12 with no real shot at making the NFL anyway? Why not? This is completely different than weighing selecting him in round 1 of the draft 3 years ago. He’s a street FA. We’re talking a 1-year minimum salary benefit type deal. If he shows something then maybe he makes the team, produces a few plays then signs elsewhere next year and nets us a late round comp pick. If he shows nothing then we pay him a nominal signing bonus ($25k?) that won’t make a lick of difference to our cap situation for a week long look see. 

I hear you, but Chemistry is too important to Pace.  He isnt bringing in known knuckleheads or Hunt would be on our team.  Besides he can't even play. 

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I hear you, but Chemistry is too important to Pace.  He isnt bringing in known knuckleheads or Hunt would be on our team.  Besides he can't even play. 

I don’t disagree about the knucklehead thing but Hunt and Nkemdiche are nowhere near the same case in that regard. I do disagree as to whether or not Nkemdiche can actually play. I think he certainly has as much or more ability than the bottom DL on our 90-man offseason roster, and certainly with more upside than that guy. All I’m proposing is that he be that guy on our roster - a no risk huge upside long shot. I’m not suggesting he come in and just get a roster spot on our loaded DL by any means. I’m suggesting he offers more potential to our team than Daryle Banfield or Jalen Dalton. Talent has never been the question with him. 

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree about the knucklehead thing but Hunt and Nkemdiche are nowhere near the same case in that regard. I do disagree as to whether or not Nkemdiche can actually play. I think he certainly has as much or more ability than the bottom DL on our 90-man offseason roster, and certainly with more upside than that guy. All I’m proposing is that he be that guy on our roster - a no risk huge upside long shot. I’m not suggesting he come in and just get a roster spot on our loaded DL by any means. I’m suggesting he offers more potential to our team than Daryle Banfield or Jalen Dalton. Talent has never been the question with him. 

Your argument is fine, I just dont think there is any chance Pace will do it.  

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Your argument is fine, I just dont think there is any chance Pace will do it.  

Oh I don’t think he will either. I would just endorse the move because of its lack of risk and immense (albeit probably unrealistic) upside. It’s a churn the bottom of the roster type of move. He’s going to get that chance somewhere, and I’m getting kind of tired of that usually being in New England. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

This is about to be like Hiroshima, could be better though to get higher 2nd round pick.

Gruden changing culture.   In fairness he didn't say changing to what culture.  

I'll take quiet leadership that Mack brings thank you.  

Here's a not so random thought provided this is truly accurate.

This kind of selfishness is counter productive to any team who wants to build and keep a team whose competing for a championship every year.  Prescott who has yet to have won a ****'n thing wants 30% more than guys like Brady and Rodger who have.

My initial reaction is trade this guy and move on.  How can you build a team around any player whose salary demands destroy your ability to do it?  Prescott has earned himself a new deal but $40 mil per?  Come on man.  Hope ya' like a UDFA OL protecting your ***.

Different era entirely but one of my favorite Lombardi stories has to do with his hatred for player agents.

Jim Ringo who had become his All Pro OC showed up with an agent asking for a salary increase to something like $10k from the $5-$6k Lombardi was willing to offer.  I guess they figured they'd double team him and work him over for maybe $7.5k.

Lombardi listened then excused himself saying he needed to take an important call.

When he returned he said guys we're done here your guy now plays for Philadelphia.  O.o  And they claim Halas was brutal.  xD

Edited by soulman

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Here's a not so random thought provided this is truly accurate.

This kind of selfishness is counter productive to any team who wants to build and keep a team whose competing for a championship every year.  Prescott who has yet to have won a ****'n thing wants 30% more than guys like Brady and Rodger who have.

My initial reaction is trade this guy and move on.  How can you build a team around any player whose salary demands destroy your ability to do it?  Prescott has earned himself a new deal but $40 mil per?  Come on man.  Hope ya' like a UDFA OL protecting your ***.

Different era entirely but one of my favorite Lombardi stories has to do with his hatred for player agents.

Jim Ringo who had become his All Pro OC showed up with an agent asking for a salary increase to something like $10k from the $5-$6k Lombardi was willing to offer.  I guess they figured they'd double team him and work him over for maybe $7.5k.

Lombardi listened then excused himself saying he needed to take an important call.

When he returned he said guys we're done here your guy now plays for Philadelphia.  O.o  And they claim Halas was brutal.  xD

Brown froze his feet, Dallas doesn’t have its best player and their QB wants more than 30 million a year.  

But and I say again - Bears are having the worst offseason of ANY NFL team.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1