Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

keyahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

PFF’s primary job is to get you to read the content. Whether you’re hate reading it or genuinely enjoy the content matters not so long as you click there.

Media definitely drives perception though. Look at Mayfield compared to Mitch:

Comp% 66.6 - 63.8 Mitch is higher

TD% 5.6 -5.5 Baker is slightly higher 

INT% 2.9% - 2.8% Mitch is lower 

YPA 7.7 - 7.4 Baker is higher

QB Rating 95.4 - 93.7 Mitch is higher 

QBR 72.8 - 55.7 Mitch is WAY higher 

Sack% 5.2% - 4.9% Baker slightly better but Mitch being more mobile probably a factor 

So, their TD and INT rates are basically identical, they take essentially the same amount of sacks, are pretty equal in YPA, Mitch completes a higher frequency of his passes and Mitch is the higher rated passer by both (flawed) metrics, plus Mitch is highly effective as a runner where Baker isn’t a threat at all, yet Baker is their 10th rated QB and Mitch is 26th? C’mon now. Even if Mitch were someone else’s QB anyone with common sense can see the obvious flaws in that. 

I’ll gladly take the Dan Durkin stuff on The Athletic where he’s critical but fairly so. 

Also, an aside on Mayfield - his cockiness is gonna get his *** BLOWN UP at some point. His Daniel Jones comments in GQ are some WWE ****. Especially coming from someone who hasn’t accomplished a damn thing of consequence in the NFL yet. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

PFF’s primary job is to get you to read the content. Whether you’re hate reading it or genuinely enjoy the content matters not so long as you click there.

Sack% 5.2% - 4.9% Baker slightly better but Mitch being more mobile probably a factor 

So, their TD and INT rates are basically identical, they take essentially the same amount of sacks, are pretty equal in YPA, Mitch completes a higher frequency of his passes and Mitch is the higher rated passer by both (flawed) metrics, plus Mitch is highly effective as a runner where Baker isn’t a threat at all, yet Baker is their 10th rated QB and Mitch is 26th? C’mon now. Even if Mitch were someone else’s QB anyone with common sense can see the obvious flaws in that. 

I’ll gladly take the Dan Durkin stuff on The Athletic where he’s critical but fairly so. 

Also, an aside on Mayfield - his cockiness is gonna get his *** BLOWN UP at some point. His Daniel Jones comments in GQ are some WWE ****. Especially coming from someone who hasn’t accomplished a damn thing of consequence in the NFL yet. 

Well said AZ.

I'm not going to lie...I love me some Baker Mayfield, but I agree that he is unfairly glorified compared to other young QB's like Mitch who you have just proved is on about the same level or better in some categories. Baker has been in the NFL for all of 1 year and yet people are acting like he's the next great QB... yet Mitch is chopped liver..hmmm o.O

Some people just love to run with the same lazy narratives that seems to be prevalent among the national NFL media personalities. Mitch has gotten a bad rap for whatever reason, maybe because of his so so rookie season with John Fox as the HC?  But what did people really expect was going to happen with a raw QB like Mitch operating in an archaic offense with no weapons whatsoever at the WR and TE positions.  Not a fair judgment IMO.

That being said this is a big year for Mitch to prove he's the right guy to lead the franchise at QB for the next few years.  I'm expecting him to be better than last year and he will be.  End of story.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Cleveland is loaded.  I think their character issues make them a house of cards though.

As long they don't face adversity and keep winning they can be a juggernaut because they have some serious talent.

I think they got a lot of me guys, mixed with some unstable guys so a losing streak can implode them in a year of expectation. 

Their division has a rebuilding Steelers, a young Ravens and a hapless Bengals which will be 2 gimme wins.  It is far weakener than NFC North.  That bodes well for them.  

Steelers still have a HOF QB and Ravens are playing unorthodox so you can't underestimate either, but I think in end both are around .500 teams.  Talent wise Cleveland is as good as anyone this year.

We'll see how it goes.

Draft capital in SF D line has to be unprecedented. 

2nd, 3rd, 7th and 17th Overall pick and a 2020 2nd rounder.

They better be good.

We have a lot too, but not as much.   Two 1's and a 3 and 6 in Mack with a 2 coming back.   But the 1's weren't and aren't going to be top 5 picks.  There are 1's and there are 1's.

Goldman was a 2nd I believe and Nichols a 5.    Floyd was 11th overall and a 4th.

Hicks was a FA.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It's funny when they talk Baker, who is legit good, they say it is all Baker.

When Mitch does good it is his receivers carrying him or scheme and Mitch gets zero credit.  

Agreed. It’s dumb. Re: scheme it’s funny how the switch from Hue to Kitchens directly coinciding with a drastic spike in Mayfield’s play gets left out, because of course it was a factor. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Mayfield is a talented kid but the scheme he’s in plays to his strengths as well and makes him better. Same with Mitch here. Drew Brees is an all-time great, but prior to joining with Sean Payton he was just a good player. Would Joe Montana have been legendarily great in a vertical passing attack like that of Arians or Coryell? Would Brady have reached the same levels of success in Mike Martz’s offense? Mahomes under Dowell Loggains instead of Reid? I sure don’t think so. Both scheme and talent matter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I love Baker's upside as a QB, but was adamant I wouldn't have drafted him 1st overall. I don't like him as a person.

He's an idiot. Maybe he should realize a guy is a fantastic QB and better than he will ever be as a pro, and had a 13-16 record in college. He knows the guy personally. His name is Patrick Mahomes, and he is the one who replaced Mayfield and got that MVP award thingy last year.

54 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I love Baker's upside as a QB, but was adamant I wouldn't have drafted him 1st overall. I don't like him as a person.

He's an idiot. Maybe he should realize a guy is a fantastic QB and better than he will ever be as a pro, and had a 13-16 record in college. He knows the guy personally. His name is Patrick Mahomes, and he is the one who replaced Mayfield and got that MVP award thingy last year.

He’s got that stereotypical frat boy attitude thing going on, which is fine - no judgment from me for a guy wanting to be himself - but usually what happens to those guys eventually is they spout off to the wrong guy and get knocked TF out. He’s only going to make himself more of a target with this crap. He already went so far as to criticize Duke Johnson to the media about his contract situation which is a TOTAL no-no in the locker room. If he isn’t amazing on the field that act is gonna wear super thin super fast IMO.