2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And Lakers fans are making the assumption that Kyrie or Kawhi will sign there when it's far from guaranteed and unlikely that they sign either guy. I only bring up that notion because the chance that AD/LeBron miss significant time next season is more likely than Curry or Harden getting hurt. LeBron will be 35 next season and has played 18 seasons worth of NBA basketball and AD has been injury prone throughout his entire career. 

Did I make the assumption?  No.  It's been rumored by a couple of different people that if the Lakers whiff on Kyrie and/or Kawhi, they're going to spread out the money to veteran players.  So do you think that if they surround them with the right veterans (i.e. Beverley, Green, etc.) that they'd be able to weather the storm?  The fact is that any team is screwed if their star players misses an extended time.  That applies to the Lakers, Rockets, etc.  It's not exclusive to the Lakers. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lou Williams is actually a good playmaker and he only makes $8M per year, wouldn't really say that's being "paid so damn well" for a guy that has been a 20/5 guy for the Clippers. 

Lou Williams puts up 20/5 and getting paid $8M and he's a bargain.  Kyle Kuzma averages 19/6 (RPG, not APG) and he's making less than $2M.  Kuzma is borderline useless, but Lou Williams is pretty damn valuable.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Management should've done more to clear max cap space if it's such a big FA destination. 

How often were the Lakers not a title contender?  You've got the last ~6 years, and then the awkward time between the Shaq and Pau era.  Since 2000, the Lakers have only missed the playoffs 7 times.   Hell, it only took 3 down years after they traded Shaq to get to the NBA Finals again.

5 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

lol do you think Kuzma holds a lot of value 

A lot of value?  No.  A decent amount of value?  Absolutely.  But as I believe @seminoles1 mentioned earlier, the Lakers are going to have a hard time matching salaries given that he's making less than $2M, and the Lakers don't have picks to deal until 2023.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Did I make the assumption?  No.  It's been rumored by a couple of different people that if the Lakers whiff on Kyrie and/or Kawhi, they're going to spread out the money to veteran players.  So do you think that if they surround them with the right veterans (i.e. Beverley, Green, etc.) that they'd be able to weather the storm?  The fact is that any team is screwed if their star players misses an extended time.  That applies to the Lakers, Rockets, etc.  It's not exclusive to the Lakers. 

It's not exclusive to the Lakers but as I've said it's more likely that one of LeBron/AD misses significant time because LeBron is aging and AD has always been injury prone. And even if they add high-quality role players I'm not confident that they'd be able to weather the storm if one of those guys go down. The Lakers were 28-27 with LeBron in the lineup and the Pelicans were 25-31 with AD in the lineup last season. So I'd expect a fringe .500 team just like we saw from both of those two last season surrounded by role players and meh coaching. 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How often were the Lakers not a title contender?  You've got the last ~6 years, and then the awkward time between the Shaq and Pau era.  Since 2000, the Lakers have only missed the playoffs 7 times.   Hell, it only took 3 down years after they traded Shaq to get to the NBA Finals again.

Because they had a top 5-10 player of all time in his prime, that's not the case anymore. 

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Lou Williams puts up 20/5 and getting paid $8M and he's a bargain.  Kyle Kuzma averages 19/6 (RPG, not APG) and he's making less than $2M.  Kuzma is borderline useless, but Lou Williams is pretty damn valuable.

I never said Kuzma was borderline useless just that he doesn't have tremendous trade value because he sucks at everything other than scoring. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A lot of value?  No.  A decent amount of value?  Absolutely.  But as I believe @seminoles1 mentioned earlier, the Lakers are going to have a hard time matching salaries given that he's making less than $2M, and the Lakers don't have picks to deal until 2023.

What’s a decent amount? He’s an above average role player.

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

What’s a decent amount? He’s an above average role player.

I mean, I don't think there's a SINGLE team that wouldn't love to have him on their roster.  But he also has more value to the Lakers than anyone else.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

And having two top 10 players isn't going to be fine?

Anthony Davis is a top 10 player all time? He hasn't even been able to lead his team to the playoffs for the majority of his career except when he had two other All-Stars around him. 

Edited by NYRaider

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I never said Kuzma was borderline useless just that he doesn't have tremendous trade value because he sucks at everything other than scoring. 

You think Lou Williams does much more than scoring?