2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

Yeah, the Lakers were blown off the floor whenever he played. Unfortunately they'll probably bring him back. Would vastly prefer Caruso or Avery Bradley if possible. Also still want to see if they could land one or more of Korver, Morris and Chandler.

Hold up, so Presti offered PG and Westbrook to the Raptors? Basically tried to leverage the Raptors and Clippers against each other? If Raptors pull off getting Westbrook and PG, what does Kawhi do then? Re-sign or go with the Lakers? Guessing latter. 

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Rondo is worthless.

For the Lakers, yea.  They don't really need him in anyway.  Even last year, he wasn't good for them.  The one 'good' thing you could say was that he was able to mentor Lonzo, but that dynamic is not there anymore.  He might be a good fit somewhere else, but not for the Lakers.  The one thing about Rondo, though - I'm sure LeBron trust him a lot because he's a proven playoff winner and performer.  Maybe they keep him on ice until the postseason then unleash playoff Rondo lol

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I never understood why Pelinka was the one they treated right and they outted Magic.  For all the crap people spew about Magic, he was the one that drafted Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart two years ago in the same draft.  He was the one that got LeBron.  According to reports, Kawhi and his uncle met and were in contact with Magic... even tho Magic doesn't even work for the team anymore.  Pelinka didn't do any of that.  Pelinka has a crap reputation among most people in the basketball world for him being a slime ball when he was a agent.  The dude essentially got this job because he's pretty much a family friend of Kobe and the Lakers only pretty much hire family and friends anyway because they're morons.

If the Lakers win this year, Pelinka would pretty much be enjoying the fruits of Magic's labor.

They didnt out Magic. He quit on them then eventually ran to the microphones. Nobodys dissing Magics contribution - but he *chose* to close his own book and then wrote an epilogue to it all with his ESPN interviews.

Just now, Leader said:

They didnt out Magic. He quit on them then eventually ran to the microphones. Nobodys dissing Magics contribution - but he *chose* to close his own book and then wrote an epilogue to it all with his ESPN interviews.

I didn't mean they fired Magic.  I meant, they basically forced him to quit (in his mind) because they were more favorable towards Rob than him.

Just now, showtime said:

I didn't mean they fired Magic.  I meant, they basically forced him to quit (in his mind) because they were more favorable towards Rob than him.

First - I dont know what actually happened behind those closed doors - but I'm not buying that he was forced out or couldnt have exerted his influence - which I deem far greater than Pelinka's was - if he chose to. He chose not to. Okay - fine. Everybody should be happy in their career - BUT HE HAD TO KNOW the detrimental effect his interviews would have.

11 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's like this.  Before the Anthony Davis trade, I pegged the Lakers as a great spot for Kyrie Irving.  Once the Lakers traded for Davis, that changed a lot.  Obviously, Kawhi is the elite of the elite, so you have to try and get him.  However, Cousins is def not anywhere near that.  You talking about adding really good players just to add them, now.  He doesn't play great defense from what I recall and the Lakers don't need another offensive scoring option.  Is there enough basketballs to go around with LeBron, Davis and Cousins?  Cousins also has a history of a poor attitude. 

Use the money on defenders.  Honestly, I'd rather have Iggy and Avery Bradley literally all day over Cousins if I was a Laker fan.  It's not even close.

He got roasted on switches in the Finals, but I'd blame that more on coaching and lack of preperation. He's not actually horrible defending in the post and contesting mid range shots. More than that, he opens up spacing better than virtually any other 5 they could sign to the roster at this point. With a distributor like LeBron (and possibly Rondo) I wouldn't be worried about Davis and Cousins getting enough touches. And the whole attitude is completely overblown from his Sacramento days. Does he still get riled up on the court every so often and get a tech? Sure. However he's been nothing but a model teammate and player off the court in both New Orleans and Golden State, people need to stop holding his issues in the Sacramento against him. 

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean I don’t think many teams are going to get in some kind of bidding war for Cousins.

Agreed, but you never know.  I think Cousins probably has to go somewhere for a year and prove he's healthy.  If he can stay healthy all season and perform at a high level, then he'll get the type of money he's worthy of.  The problem with going to the Lakers is, can he really produce the stats he's capable of producing with both LeBron and AD there?  Probably not.  But maybe his focus is on just winning a ring, so he goes to a team that he thinks can help him do that. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hold up, so Presti offered PG and Westbrook to the Raptors? Basically tried to leverage the Raptors and Clippers against each other? If Raptors pull off getting Westbrook and PG, what does Kawhi do then? Re-sign or go with the Lakers? Guessing latter. 

They would’ve needed kawhi to say he would resign if they did that trade before they would agree to do it.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rondo was also horrendous defensively and Caruso was better than him almost every game towards in the end of the season. Caruso's +/- blew Rondo's out of the water and the team just played so much better with him on the court opposed to Rondo. 

I mean Rondo likely does return for the vet minimum even though he shouldn't.

I wouldn't say he was horrible. Rondo is the definition of I'll try if the rest of my team actually tries, and we all know the Lakers just dgaf on defense last year. He's definitely lost a step, but he's certainly capable of still playing at a high level defensively in the right environment. 

And I remember those games towards the end of the season, Caruso and KCP were looking like outworldy talents...playing against mostly other scrubs. Can't put too much worth into those meaningless games at the end of the season. That's not to completely discredit Caruso, just to say I don't think he'd be able to replicate that same type of success with these particular players around him, hence why Rondo is probably the better fit. 

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

I wouldn't say he was horrible. Rondo is the definition of I'll try if the rest of my team actually tries, and we all know the Lakers just dgaf on defense last year. He's definitely lost a step, but he's certainly capable of still playing at a high level defensively in the right environment. 

And I remember those games towards the end of the season, Caruso and KCP were looking like outworldy talents...playing against mostly other scrubs. Can't put too much worth into those meaningless games at the end of the season. That's not to completely discredit Caruso, just to say I don't think he'd be able to replicate that same type of success with these particular players around him, hence why Rondo is probably the better fit. 

Man, I don't know what to tell you other than Rondo was cheeks defensively last year. He's just not good. If you want to say he's a good mentor and would be good for AD since he's played with him? Fine I guess, but defending his defense? Nah, that's not it. 

Archived