Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soulman

Bilal Nichols is working to add strength this offseason

Recommended Posts

Bilal Nichols is working to add strength this offseason

Chicago Bears defensive lineman Bilal Nichols against the New England Patriots
 

By: Brendan Sugrue | 3 hours ago 

Bears defensive lineman Bilal Nichols enjoyed a very successful rookie season in 2018, earning steady playing time that eventually evolved into a starting position on one of the most vaunted defenses in the league.

Nichols showed plenty of quickness, firing off the line of scrimmage and getting into the backfield in a hurry, but this offseason, he’s working hard to add more strength and power to his game.

Speaking on the Bears All-Access show, Nichols was asked by host Jeff Joniak whether his game was based on quickness, strength, or a combination of both.

“I felt like last year I was a lot more quicker than powerful, but this year I have a huge emphasis on being almost equal. I want to be able to switch it up.” Nichols said. “A lot of my game is based on versatility. I feel if I can get stronger this offseason, and continue to get quicker, it can create some matchup problems for me and help me be even more successful.”

Nichols also mentioned he’s looking to get leaner and focus on building muscle and losing fat.

But the key word in his answer is versatility. Nichols played nose tackle coming out of Delaware in a 4-3 defense. In the Bears 3-4 unit, he moved around as both a nose tackle and defensive end but primarily played the latter as the season went on. If he’s able to get stronger and build power going into the 2019 season, he’ll be able to move all over the line and create even more mismatches.

 

One of the more underrated players on the Bears, Nichols is poised to take another step in his sophomore season this fall. If he can tack on more muscle, he’ll add yet another dimension to his skill set and Defensive Coordinator Chuck Pagano will have a difficult time taking him off the field.

Nichols was drafted in the fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft out of the University of Delaware. He finished with three sacks, two forced fumbles, and 28 total tackles in 14 games, including six starts, with the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interview they are quoting from is on Bears podcast.  Nichols is a very likeable person and player.  Smart kid.  

It was good interview   Usually they are almost all fluff with nothing useful.

He said he maintaining his weight at 300+, but is losing body fat.  He said he relied on quickness last year, but wants to be able to have option to bully.  

With Mack lines up on his side he knows line shift will be to his side so he can slant inside on center.  Some centers are undersized and he wants to be able to bull them, while others are slow and strong.  Obviously he wants to blow by them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AP - Bears 2nd year player uses off-season to get stronger. That's it. That's the news.

This down time between the draft and training camp is rough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he improves, we may have a monster on our hands. He wasn't consistent last season, but the flash plays were dominant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

AP - Bears 2nd year player uses off-season to get stronger. That's it. That's the news.

This down time between the draft and training camp is rough.

That's all ya' get now.  It's that or be totally news starved.

Do you want to starve.....huh?  No, I didn't think so.

Now read your news.  Bears fans in Italy are starving for news.  If you don't want yours I'll send it to them!   icon_rofl.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nichols is Hicks heir apparent.  With Goldman figuring out how dominant he can be and Hicks eating interior lunch, Nichols singing to feast on single blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hick, Goldman, and Nichols with RRH taking up some slack.  That's a scary DL.  Tough to block any of them mano a mano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, soulman said:

Hick, Goldman, and Nichols with RRH taking up some slack.  That's a scary DL.  Tough to block any of them mano a mano.

Like 330 lbs average that can move.  Nichols is the small guy at like 305. LOL

scary stuff  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has got to get more consistent against the run to play full time. Right now RRH is a more consistent run defender, but has less splash plays. On a number of snaps Nichols gets high and walked back off the line. 

I am hoping that adding strength and improved technique he can start and we can rotate RRH in all over the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Like 330 lbs average that can move.  Nichols is the small guy at like 305. LOL

scary stuff  

 

I think Hicks is the only one who goes over 330lbs now.   Goldman is listed as a svelte (???) 320lbs and the rest all go around 300lbs give or take a nickel's worth.  But even at that the top five average around 305-310lbs and they're all very quick.

I'm stoked by what I saw out of both Nichols and RRH last years.  RRH is still an RFA in 2020 but I'm hoping Pace can find a way to sign him to a longer term deal while he's just hitting his prime years.  He's a guy Pagano could possibly play both at DE and OLB/Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie Goldman hasn't actually weighed 320 since the 9th grade.

 

The Bears DL depth is a huge reason they are so good on defense. They never have DLmen on the field that are over matched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Eddie Goldman hasn't actually weighed 320 since the 9th grade.

 

The Bears DL depth is a huge reason they are so good on defense. They never have DLmen on the field that are over matched.

So you were at Halas Hall for weigh ins?  How much did Eddie actually weigh and why do you insist on stating an opinion as if it was fact unless you saw the scale?

I recall that when he arrived at around 340lbs give or take they asked him to drop some weight and he did.  He said so himself. 

He's been listed at 320lbs ever since and IMHO he moves more like a 6'4"/320lb guy than a 340lb guy.

So if he doesn't weigh 320lbs or close to it how much does he weigh.  I like my opinions to be as accurate as possible.  tongue0020.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulman said:

So you were at Halas Hall for weigh ins?  How much did Eddie actually weigh and why do you insist on stating an opinion as if it was fact unless you saw the scale?

I recall that when he arrived at around 340lbs give or take they asked him to drop some weight and he did.  He said so himself. 

He's been listed at 320lbs ever since and IMHO he moves more like a 6'4"/320lb guy than a 340lb guy.

So if he doesn't weigh 320lbs or close to it how much does he weigh.  I like my opinions to be as accurate as possible.  tongue0020.gif

Idc what Eddie weighs, he figured out in the 2nd half last year that hes the biggest baddest man on the field and decided to play like it.  I feel bad for any center who has to block him head up, it's completely unfair.  Go back and watch the Rams game on and Eddie looks unstoppable.  Once again I say not enough credit can be given to Jay Rodgers who we are going to lose to a DC gig sooner or later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Idc what Eddie weighs, he figured out in the 2nd half last year that hes the biggest baddest man on the field and decided to play like it.  I feel bad for any center who has to block him head up, it's completely unfair.  Go back and watch the Rams game on and Eddie looks unstoppable.  Once again I say not enough credit can be given to Jay Rodgers who we are going to lose to a DC gig sooner or later.

This post insinuates that Goldman takes plays off. What I think happened was he developed a pass rush arsenal of moves and unleashed them on the league in December

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×