The Batman

Acgott

On 3/5/2022 at 7:41 PM, Acgott said:

Its weird to me, just chilling there. Also he needs to work on his appearing skills. Walking slowly taking all those bullets. My nitpicks!

He’s a blunt instrument at the beginning. You can see the progression though through the movie as he becomes a little more aware of what he should be doing instead of facing everyone face on.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 11:24 AM, August4th said:

movie made me go back and watch the 90s Cartoon show. I have not watched since I was a kid and man does it hold up. its a really well done kids show thats fun for kids but mature enough that adults can enjoy.

Mask of the Phantasm is still my favorite Batman movie.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:09 PM, 43M said:

Begins hasnt aged well IMO.    Editing at certain parts was so messy and rushed.  

I don’t think it’s rushed so much as intentional on Nolan’s part, especially the fight scenes. He got better as an action director. But yeah, I hated the way he went Bourne sequel with the close up fights and shaky cam in Begins.

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

He’s a blunt instrument at the beginning. You can see the progression though through the movie as he becomes a little more aware of what he should be doing instead of facing everyone face on.

That would make more sense if it was year 1, but this is year 2 now. It takes him 2 years to learn that he shouldn’t walk slowly into gun fire.

18 minutes ago, Acgott said:

That would make more sense if it was year 1, but this is year 2 now. It takes him 2 years to learn that he shouldn’t walk slowly into gun fire.

The 2 years thing does feel more arbitrary and the only thing that doesn’t jive given what we’re shown. But who knows, maybe it worked for the first two years and then things naturally escalated.

Spoiler

Another big one that I liked were the three different times he entered the club.

38 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Pretty sure they went with 2 years simply because they wanted to avoid any Year One comparisons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

The charming Bruce wouldn’t make sense in the context of this movie. Maybe in the next movie given the progression.

The context of the movie? His parents are always dead and the same reasons to be sad, but always still charming and witty. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The context of the movie? His parents are always dead and the same reasons to be sad, but always still charming and witty. 

The context of the flick is he is still dealing with that emotionally. Nolan's Begins did the same exact thing but on a completely differently timeline. In Begins, Bruce is brooding and ready to MURDER Chill and doesn't get the Bruce mask until years of training with the League of Shadows who explicitly tell him to wear that mask in public. The difference here is that broody Bruce became Batman and is learning on the job as opposed to the Nolanverse where he went to a training program. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The context of the flick is he is still dealing with that emotionally. Nolan's Begins did the same exact thing but on a completely differently timeline. In Begins, Bruce is brooding and ready to MURDER Chill and doesn't get the Bruce mask until years of training with the League of Shadows who explicitly tell him to wear that mask in public. The difference here is that broody Bruce became Batman and is learning on the job as opposed to the Nolanverse where he went to a training program. 

That happened in the same movie though. I’m just a little worried Pattinson will keep this character all 3-4 movies. He is quite famous for playing the same character most of his movies, sad and emo. Which is why I was a bit worried going in. I guess we won’t know until the next movie. He has progressed as an actor and I hope he is able to progress the character. Sad/emo is his safe haven though. 

Spoiler

I mean, that and the Jokers really dumb laugh and voice at the end. If that was the Joker actor, he better learn to play it better. Leto level cringe. 

Only two complaints the entire movie though. Great, great movie. 

Also I need to rewatch the Mask movie, haven’t seen it since I was a kid like 25 years ago. Don’t remember much about it. That good, @Xenos ?

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, BayRaider said:

Speaking of the animated series, Batman Beyond is one of the most underrated animated series of all time. Terrific series and almost on par with the original series. I think a Batman Beyond trilogy is long overdue at this point. 

Return of the Joker was a great flick as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

That happened in the same movie though. I’m just a little worried Pattinson will keep this character all 3-4 movies. He is quite famous for playing the same character most of his movies, sad and emo. Which is why I was a bit worried going in. I guess we won’t know until the next movie. He has progressed as an actor and I hope he is able to progress the character. Sad/emo is his safe haven though. 

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, that and the Jokers really dumb laugh and voice at the end. If that was the Joker actor, he better learn to play it better. Leto level cringe. 

Only two complaints the entire movie though. Great, great movie. 

Also I need to rewatch the Mask movie, haven’t seen it since I was a kid like 25 years ago. Don’t remember much about it. That good, @Xenos ?

Pattinson has done other things beside play someone dark and emo. Someone mentioned Tenant, and that’s a good example. I think the emo thing stuck because of stupid Twilight. But the guy can act and does have range.

As for The Batman, he hasn’t developed the Bruce Wayne mask yet. Especially since he’s more into being Batman than anything to do with philanthropy. As @Bullet Club previously mentioned, if he wasn’t so busy being Batman, he may have noticed certain things ahead of time. I think he realizes that by the end, and we’ll see more of the charming persona in the sequels.

I haven’t watch Phantasm in 5 years but it still sticks to me these days. I personally still think it’s the best adaptation especially when it comes to Bruce and Batman. With Nolan, I enjoyed Bruce’s screen time more, while with Reeves, it’s obviously Batman front and center. Phantasm still captures that duality perfectly. And somehow does it under 90 minutes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He didn't really have an opportunity to be that version of Bruce anyways. His only public appearance was at a funeral. 

• Like 1