2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Watching more of Grant Delpit. Playmaking safety in any kind of deep alignment. Great ball skills. Big tall and fast. Reads qb eyes. Has range too.

His ankle sprain definitely affected his ability to tackle in the SEC. I can't imagine playing football with an ankle sprain. 

I think Delpit would be a real nice S to combo with Abram in our system.  He’s definitely a playmaker.  I think the tackling issues are overblown, but not to say it’s not a concern but it seemed like that stemmed from the injury (stability and breaking down with good form).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMadStork said:

It hurts to miss on the 4th player choose. In the draft. That’s horrible. I think we missed big. 

My big board last year at our spot:

1. Josh Allen

2. Trade Down

3. Ed Oliver 

4. Brian Burns 

Ferrell for me..was not a player I would have even taken with our last first rounder. 

If you didn’t have Ferrell as a first rounder your definitely in the minority and I’d really question your ability to judge prospects, no offense personally.  He was a top 4-5 pick prior to the combine and because he didn’t run and others did he slipped in the eyes of amateur scouts.  Yes it would have been nice to trade down but it’s been well documented that wasn’t an option.  If you want to gripe that we should have picked Allen (who doesn’t fit our scheme but is more talented) over Ferrell (who does fit our scheme) then that’s a valid claim but can be contested to no end.  
idk how you can question Mayock’s ability to draft.  He showed the ability to draft good players as well as move around the board efficiently while staying patient (ie Mullen).  Do I expect a Maxx Crosby steak every year no.  But he’s a proven draft expert who showed why we acquired him in year 1.

also, while Allen is good both in college and the nfl he’s generated a ton of sacks from being unblocked due to scheme as well as he’s not a base DE due to lack of strength.  
im very happy with Ferrell and believe he’ll become a Cam Jordan level player by year 3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheMadStork said:

I have been 1 who has suggested trading both 1st to move up for Isaiah Simmons. 

why? Because I’m confident in Simmons being a top talent in this draft. Odds are we will not hit both picks out of the park..it’s great to have two first rounders..but if only one is a great pick, and the other is just a solid player. I think it’s better to have one player like Simmons who can provide our defense with great versatility to shut down Top TEs. I believe Simmons is the future of NFL lbs

I was the #1 Simmons to the Raiders at any cost fan club member but after FA, and still the need for a starting WR, I can’t see us moving up for Simmons.

id love to still get him but it’s unlikely due to other big needs still not filled.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Absolute dream scenario is Okudah falling to 12 and Ruggs III falling to 19. It’s definitely not likely to happen but it’s more possible than some will admit. CB’s and WR’s always get pushed down. 

That’d be an amazing draft.  

34 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

If you didn’t have Ferrell as a first rounder your definitely in the minority and I’d really question your ability to judge prospects, no offense personally.  He was a top 4-5 pick prior to the combine and because he didn’t run and others did he slipped in the eyes of amateur scouts.  Yes it would have been nice to trade down but it’s been well documented that wasn’t an option.  If you want to gripe that we should have picked Allen (who doesn’t fit our scheme but is more talented) over Ferrell (who does fit our scheme) then that’s a valid claim but can be contested to no end.  
idk how you can question Mayock’s ability to draft.  He showed the ability to draft good players as well as move around the board efficiently while staying patient (ie Mullen).  Do I expect a Maxx Crosby steak every year no.  But he’s a proven draft expert who showed why we acquired him in year 1.

also, while Allen is good both in college and the nfl he’s generated a ton of sacks from being unblocked due to scheme as well as he’s not a base DE due to lack of strength.  
im very happy with Ferrell and believe he’ll become a Cam Jordan level player by year 3.

Let me back up. It’s not that I don’t believe he’s a first round talent..he’s just not a player I’d want for where he’s going to get chosen, way too rich for me.

dropping back to 10-20 and choosing a combo of:

1. Brian Burns 

2. Jeffrey Simmons 

3. Devin Bush

Past 20:

4. Darnell Savage 

It’s hard to say that it was not a option, maybe not for what we were asking.

Cam Jordan had elite college tape IMO. IMO Clenin Ferrell had one game where he looked like he should be a top 10 pick (coincidently it was in the national championship game) which sounds odd..but where was that play the rest of the season. This is just my opinion, and I watched a lot of Ferrell last year. 

Why do you believe Josh Allen was not a fit? I never understood how someone who can play DE and get to the QB is not a fit for us?  He was not a liability against the run in college. I actually felt his college tape reminded me a lot of Khalil Mack. Was Khalil Mack not a fit for us when we drafted. 

I’m also not saying Mayock is bad at drafting. I’m saying I hope Gruden has no influence on the draft because I think he has a bad eye for talent judging by how bad the drafts were while he was on the bucs and listening to him on espn. 

But i am saying that I think the jury is still out for our 1st round, and how Mayock/Gruden did..I see little to be real optimistic in Ferrell (top 4 pick), Abram played 1 game, and Jacobs was a safe rb pick (which Did not take much draft analyst) 

Not saying your wrong. Friendly football convo. Good post by you. 

2 hours ago, TheMadStork said:

It hurts to miss on the 4th player choose. In the draft. That’s horrible. I think we missed big. 

My big board last year at our spot:

1. Josh Allen

2. Trade Down

3. Ed Oliver 

4. Brian Burns 

Ferrell for me..was not a player I would have even taken with our last first rounder. 

Allen was not a scheme fit. Allen is the perfect prototype for a 3-4 EDGE guy but he’ll never be a great run defender in a 4-3 scheme. Not as bad as Beasley but similar. 

Ferrell is almost guaranteed to be a Top Tier Run Defender and have 6-8 sack ability. And he’s a great leader. And be wasn’t drafted to be our premier Pass Rushing DE, I think Mayock was gonna solve that in this draft if Maxx didn’t work out. Fortunately, Maxx worked out. 

50 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I was the #1 Simmons to the Raiders at any cost fan club member but after FA, and still the need for a starting WR, I can’t see us moving up for Simmons.

id love to still get him but it’s unlikely due to other big needs still not filled.

I agree with you..we will not trade up for him..

but, if we end up with:

12. Jeudy/Lamb (good choices) 

19. K. Murray (bad choice IMO) 

I’m going to wish we moved up for 

Simmons. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I actually made a post last year where if every team was a 4-3 Scheme, Allen is like my 16th player on my big board. 

If every team is a 3-4 Scheme, Allen is #1 on my big board, above Bosa/Q/Everyone. 

Schemes do matter.

Just playing devils advocate: 

i honestly don’t know the right answer to these questions. Maybe you do? 

1. Didn’t most people say Mack was a 3-4 olb ? 

There’s so many players that people said projected as  3-4 olb who have been very successful 4-3 DE.  

I always felt Allen was very long and had the frame to gain 15 pounds easy. I believe he went to the combine at 260. I remember thinking Josh Allen played the run very good in college. Not great. But very good. And also thought he covered very well. I can find a place on my defense for someone who can:

1. Rush the QB

2. Play the run solid

3. Drop into coverage if needed. 

Also, please don’t think I’m saying Allen is going to be a stud. I really haven’t seen much of him since he was in the nfl. I don’t watch the Jaguars very often. This is just what I felt last year. 

Mack was a better fit as a 3-4 OLB but could easily play both. I was in love with Macks tape. He would knock top-school program OT’s down with a bullrush of epic proportions and get the sack. 

That’s not Allen. Most of Allen’s sacks go untouched. 

43 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bradlee Anae is always available in the 80-90 range on TDN. I'd easily take him there. Technician and quality pass rush rotational piece in year 1. His hand use/polish is amazing for a college player.

I agree. Hopefully he'll be undervalued and overlooked because of his below average measurables and "bend" that people focus on too much imo. But to me his hand usage and effort make him a clear upgrade over Key as the DE4.