2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Another thing that I noticed when looking at playoff teams, only two, the Saints and Texans had a dominant #1 WR. 

3 leading receivers for playoff teams

* TE

** RB

AFC

Baltimore: Andrews* (852 yards), Brown (584 yards), Hurst* (349 yards)

Kansas City: Kelce* (1,229 yards), Hill (860 yards), Watkins (673 yards)

New England: Edelman (1,117 yards), White** (645 yards), Dorsett (397 yards)

Houston: Hopkins (1,165 yards), Fuller (670 yards), Stills (561 yards)

Tennessee: Brown (1,051 yards), Davis (601 yards), Smith* (439 yards)

Buffalo: Brown (1,060 yards), Beasley (778 yards), Knox* (388 yards)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Another thing that I noticed when looking at playoff teams, only two, the Saints and Texans had a dominant #1 WR. 

* TE

** RB

AFC

I dont know the stats off the top of my head. But defense is the commonality of those teams imo. Especially down the stretch.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

* TE

** RB

AFC

I seem to get crucified when making this same exact point, but yes, having a #1 WR-value wise is usually not a good thing. Is having a dominant WR1 a bad thing? No. Of course not. But the point is, you could of used that draft capital on defense, OL, etc. Which is what these teams did. Defense matters more. Most of the best teams in the NFL have two solid WRs, but not a true #1. Having a dominant WR1 is not that important, especially when you could of used those resources on defense. 

I’m fine with a WR at 12 but I’m also fine with a WR at 80 and 91. 

Edited by BayRaider

The Athletic published an article today about first round QBs. Since 2002 there have been 54 QB's selected in the first round and they break down like this: 

Unproven: 6

Busts: 28

Decent starters: 9

Legitimate starters: 11

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I seem to get crucified when making this point, but yes, having a #1 WR-value wise is usually not a good thing. Is having a dominant WR1 a bad thing? No. Of course not. But the point is, you could of used that draft capital on defense, OL, etc. Which is what these teams did. Defense matters more. Most of the best teams in the NFL have two solid WRs, but not a true #1. 

I’m fine with a WR at 12 but I’m also fine with a WR at 80 and 91. 

Building a dominant defense is the most important aspect in football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Athletic published an article today about first round QBs. Since 2002 there have been 54 QB's selected in the first round and they break down like this: 

Unproven: 6

Busts: 28

Decent starters: 9

Legitimate starters: 11

The thing is, we know most, not all, 1st Round QB prospects are a huge gamble going in. Love/Herbert this year is a fantastic example. However, you also have the rare almost-sure things like Burrow/Tua. Two of the best QB Prospects in the past several years. These two are not shaky prospects like Baker/Kyler/etc. They are a rare breed. Only concern about Tua is his medicals. 

It’s not gonna happen but I wouldn’t have any issue if Mayock traded 12, 19, 91 (2212 points) for 3 (2200 points) and got Tua. Recycle Carr for a Late 2nd/Early 3rd and start Mariota. Would I do this myself? Probably not. But I’d have zero complaints if he actually did. Get WR/DT at 80/81 and sign a CB. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Josh Pearson out of Jacksonville State is a guy that is worth a look in the 7th if we acquire a pick or as an UDFA. He was academically ineligible his first two seasons but over the last two seasons he put up 126 receptions, 2,066 yards (16.3 avg), and 30 TD.

His pro day numbers were impressive too.

6'3.5 205 

40 time: 4.44 (9th best at combine)

Vert: 41.5" (4th best at combine)

Broad jump: 10'8" (6th best at combine)

20 yard shuttle: 4.22 (3rd best at combine)

3-cone: 7.22 

Screw You man I had him in my mock I was positing tomorrow as a super sleeper.  His stats in ‘19 were good but ‘18 was crazy.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

12 - CJ Henderson | CB | Florida

19 - Zach Baun | LB | Wisconsin

80 - Cam Akers | RB | Florida State

81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina

91 - Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech

121 - Davion Taylor | LB | Colorado

159 - Geno Stone | S | Iowa

6 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Screw You man I had him in my mock I was positing tomorrow as a super sleeper.  His stats in ‘19 were good but ‘18 was crazy.

He's definitely an interesting prospect. He has one of the most intriguing athletic profiles of any WR in the class, dominated at the FCS level, and has all the makings of a late round draft sleeper imo.

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's definitely an interesting prospect. He has one of the most intriguing athletic profiles of any WR in the class, dominated at the FCS level, and has all the makings of a late round draft sleeper imo.

Couldn’t agree more...... he’s definitely worth a flier in 6,7th or UDFA... you never know with these guys it’s so hit or miss.  He looks good on tape but I look good on tape playing b-ball with children lol.... you can’t really evaluate talent when the competition is so low.  But everything looks like he could be a real find.

51 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They are a rare breed. Only concern about Tua is his medicals. 

It’s not gonna happen but I wouldn’t have any issue if Mayock traded 12, 19, 91 (2212 points) for 3 (2200 points) and got Tua. Recycle Carr for a Late 2nd/Early 3rd and start Mariota. Would I do this myself? Probably not. But I’d have zero complaints if he actually did. Get WR/DT at 80/81 and sign a CB. 

The question isn’t just Tua’s medical tests.... GMs are finally questioning his inability to stay healthy, and rightfully so.  The dudes brittle as they come.  Recently came out he his wrist fractures.  He’s never played a season without getting hurt, or something like that.

Oh course you’d trade Carr, 2 1sts, and 91 for him though.... there’s not a scenario you don’t like that involves Carr leaving.  Heck even if they’d Do 12,19,81 you’d want to throw in Carr or no deal lol. Luckily for us the reality is that’s a not a trade we’re likely to make. I doubt Gruden whose #1 thing availability over all else would sell the farm for a guy who can’t play 10 games behind ‘Bama’s insane OL without getting hurt.

Edited by jimkelly02

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

The question isn’t just Tua’s medical tests.... GMs are finally questioning his inability to stay healthy, and rightfully so.  The dudes brittle as they come.  Recently came out he his wrist fractures.  He’s never played a season without getting hurt, or something like that.

Oh course you’d trade Carr, 2 1sts, and 91 for him though.... there’s not a scenario you don’t like that involves Carr leaving.  Heck even if they’d Do 12,19,81 you’d want to throw in Carr or no deal lol. Luckily for us the reality is that’s a not a trade we’re likely to make. I doubt Gruden whose #1 thing availability over all else would sell the farm for a guy who can’t play 10 games behind ‘Bama’s insane OL without getting hurt.

Hmmm. 

Never said I would throw Carr in the deal. I said I’d recycle him for a Late 2nd/Early 3rd. 12/19/91/Carr for 3 is a gross overpay. Words in my mouth and narrative building, as always, because I mentioned cutting ties with Carr, in a complete non-emotional business decision. I’m not the one getting offended here. At all. You are. 

Secondly, I said I probably wouldn’t do the deal myself to move up. I might, but I most  likely wouldn’t. I love value. I said I’d be totally ok if Mayock did do it, which he more than likely won’t.