2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Just now, NYRaider said:

They just paid Ju'Wuan James $51M last offseason. Bolles was elite in pass protection, he just really needs to clean up his penalties, but they also just hired one of the best OL coaches in the league.

I completely forgot about James.  That was such a bad signing.  I didn’t think Bolles was elite btw... he got beat often and held in order to not give up sacks.  But your prolly right when you factor in James they won’t go OT this year.

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

So we’ve pretty much all convinced ourselves we need a CB in the first 2 rounds.... but do we really?  With 8.8M in cap space we have the ability to add Worley + Trumaine Johnson/Dre Kirkpatrick and roll with them plus young guns in Mullen, Johnson, Nixon plus vets Lawson and Joyner.  I’d like a future starter at CB but it’s not like we have to reach or plan our draft around getting one in rounds 1-2.  I’m not arguing against drafting one year, just introducing the not talked about option of signing 1-2 vets to just hold down the position until next year.

Another starting CB is a huge need, imo. Isaiah Johnson and Keisean Nixon are both so inexperienced and while Lawson is okay is that really who we want starting on the outside all season? There's a reason we offered Byron Jones the biggest CB contract in history. We need another high caliber starting CB to pair with Mullen if we want to have a respectable defense. 

I completely forgot about James.  That was such a bad signing.  I didn’t think Bolles was elite btw... he got beat often and held in order to not give up sacks.  But your prolly right when you factor in James they won’t go OT this year.

Bolles only allowed 4 sacks and had the 10th lowest pressure rate of any OT in the league last season.

well even if they get ruggs after trading up , in my opinion that's effin stupid. are they afraid we`ll draft him? maybe sf? TB? trading up int the top 10 to get ruggs is not very good drafting. again IMO. but we can probably agree that "horse teeth" was a waaaay better qb than GM.lmao! we`ll see. Arizona had a 1rst rnd qb , didn't stop them from drafting murray.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They just paid Ju'Wuan James $51M last offseason. Bolles was elite in pass protection, he just really needs to clean up his penalties, but they also just hired one of the best OL coaches in the league.

They hired Munchak last year. He was there all of 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Another starting CB is a huge need, imo. Isaiah Johnson and Keisean Nixon are both so inexperienced and while Lawson is okay is that really who we want starting on the outside all season? There's a reason we offered Byron Jones the biggest CB contract in history. We need another high caliber starting CB to pair with Mullen if we want to have a respectable defense. 

I’m not disagreeing with the need for a CB.  I think we will try and get one if we can at a good value.  I’m just saying god forbid the board fell in a way where we didn’t get a chance to draft Henderson, Johnson, Terre, Gladney, Diggs .... such as we trade back from 19 and a run on CB happens before we pick or of the remaining CB(s) we just didn’t like them for our team..... we could always get some veteran place holders in FA.  With so many young CBs we might not see great value in adding some of the mid-ranked guys because we want to see what we have with what we got.

Ideally we draft Johnson, Terrell, Fulton, or Gladney and sign a veteran FA to protect them from having to start to early.

but if we saw better value elsewhere we could skip drafting a CB, sign 1-2 vets, see what we got in the young guys, and if needed draft someone(s) next year.

That’s not the initial game plan, I’m just saying if we didn’t get a top CB I can see us not taking a mid round guy and rolling with what we got and add FAs til next year.

4 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

well even if they get ruggs after trading up , in my opinion that's effin stupid. are they afraid we`ll draft him? maybe sf? TB? trading up int the top 10 to get ruggs is not very good drafting. again IMO. but we can probably agree that "horse teeth" was a waaaay better qb than GM.lmao! we`ll see. Arizona had a 1rst rnd qb , didn't stop them from drafting murray.

The Jets have been rumored to be enamored with Ruggs as well at #11. Getting up to #10 assures that they can have their pick of the WR class because there's a good chance Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy could go off the board at 11/12/13. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Exactly... and I’m not trying to bust on anyone’s last pick in their mock or late round flier prediction.... this is a generalized statement about prospects:

but yeah a guy like crosby succeeds because of either a high athleticism or unique intangibles that lesser prospects lack.  If anything looking back on it Crosby was should have been ranked above Oshane Ximines, Jaylon Ferguson, Chase Winovich, and Zach Allen.  While I can’t say definitely why (how could anyone?) my guess would be the flaw in the evaluation process where a lesser known prospect has a ceiling placed over them and evaluators struggle to rank someone like Crosby, who wasn’t in an early draft discussions, above established guys like Ferguson, Ximines, Allen, etc who were all on the radar for years.  Their long time production prejudiced evaluators.  Evaluators often fear ranking guys who rise quickly out of “nowhere” (in Crosby’s case he had good production but from a lower level school and was a early entry) too, too high.  Had Crosby been considered as an early entry candidate going into his junior year he’s probably have been a late 2nd round pick.

Dude I'm not that sensitive like you know who. Lol

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 3

That’s not the initial game plan, I’m just saying if we didn’t get a top CB I can see us not taking a mid round guy and rolling with what we got and add FAs til next year.

Which could happen but we'd also have one of the worst CB rooms in the league again this year. The only two CB that will be off the board before #19, IMO, are Jeff Okudah and CJ Henderson. We'll have our pick of AJ Terrell, Jeff Gladney, Jaylon Johnson, or Trevon Diggs at #19 if we decide to go CB. BPA is subjective, if you think one of those guys can play early and be a long term starter opposite of Mullen, it's a good value at #19.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Jets have been rumored to be enamored with Ruggs as well at #11. Getting up to #10 assures that they can have their pick of the WR class because there's a good chance Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy could go off the board at 11/12/13. 

ok and ruggs can possibly go to jax at 9.lol  you like ruggs,  I get it.lol no flippin team is trading up rt now and announcing their plans, this is all writer heresay. we`ll see...and I`ll leave it at that. we agree to disagree.lol

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Bolles only allowed 4 sacks and had the 10th lowest pressure rate of any OT in the league last season.

The sacks were low but he habitually has high holding totals not to mention false starts.  Holding someone to avoid a sack ends up with the same result.  Bolles future has been heavily questioned by Broncos writers and fans, I didn’t just make it up.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denverpost.com/2019/12/31/garett-bolles-returning-to-broncos-2020/amp/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

The sacks were low but he habitually has high holding totals not to mention false starts.  Holding someone to avoid a sack ends up with the same result.  Bolles future has been heavily questioned by Broncos writers and fans, I didn’t just make it up.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.denverpost.com/2019/12/31/garett-bolles-returning-to-broncos-2020/amp/

Bolles definitely needs to clean up the penalties but with him and James I don't see them investing an early pick into an OT. 

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Dude I'm not that sensitive like you know who. Lol

lmao! and yes Crosby`s pie chart was pretty sick. I about jumped outta my skin when we drafted him, just a shame and I hope I Johnson works out but damn, getting Wilson would've been icing on an awesome 4th rnd cake.(ok I`ll stop beating that horse.lol)

Haven’t caught up on the past 10 pages (you guys are fast) but anyone see Chris Simms CB Rankings?

1) CJ Henderson

2) AJ Terrell

3) Jeff Okudah

4) Kristian Fulton

5) Trevon Diggs

Not that Simms is a great evaluator by any means (although he does get access to All-22 unlike us) but Terrell at 2 is interesting. 

The only negative I ever hear on Terrell is “National Championship, National Championship, National Championship!”. People forget how great he was the entire season, arguably the best corner besides Okudah. 

Terrell has the size (height, arms, etc), tackling, and long-speed to hang with KC. He’s very, very good in coverage outside of the LSU game. 

Anyways, 7 days away gentlemen. Pretty excited.