2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Peoples Jones will be over drafted IMO. I like a lot of WR over him, like Pittman Edwards van Jefferson etc. Guys with higher floors..

He is very underrated. If you watch the Michigan games you will see qb over throws and he had a completely new offense this year . People are sleeping on him 

1 minute ago, raider4567 said:

He is very underrated. If you watch the Michigan games you will see qb over throws and he had a completely new offense this year . People are sleeping on him 

I keep hearing Michigan had the worst QB play on the planet but I haven’t really watched much of that team. I know Ruiz is a baller and People-Jones is a solid prospect to gamble on, even with the bad QB play he does have his own flaws, but I do think he’s being slept on. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if WR or CBs are taken completely out of order from what most mocks suggest. 

Heck, wouldn’t be shocked if something crazy like Mims and Jefferson were the first two WRs off the board, even though that’s very doubtful. Just saying media rankings/media mocks are no where close to accurate usually. 

The average Mock Draft gets 5 out of 32 selections correct. 

8 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Back to @MrOaktown_56 question about Ruggs.  Let's say Mayock views DPJ or Pittman as a potential number 1's (I'm not saying they are but I am using this as an example) who are likely to be there in the 3rd round and we have our pick of WR's at 12.  Would you go Lamb or Ruggs in this situation if we had a crystal ball and he knew his 3rd round number 1 will be there?

I think Pittman will go in the 2nd, maybe even sneak into the back of the first.

DPJ is very raw as a player. He was a great punt returner and has some good YAC/receiving ability, but will not come into the NFL ready to start IMO. He still has a lot to learn about the receiver position.

You want value wherever you can find it. Personally I'm not a proponent of taking Ruggs at 12. I would be fine with taking a receiver in the 3rd to develop, but there aren't a lot of plug and play receivers in the 3rd who can become very productive players/go to guys very early in their careers.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I really want Zack Moss in the 3rd. But I keep telling myself using a 3rd on a Spell RB probably not a good idea. Getting AJ Dillion in the 4th is much better “value”. 

Classic case of don’t draft players because you love them, see where the value is for what you need. I think our value for a Spell RB is in the 4th. Even though I love Moss. 

I think that a backup back is an underrated asset.  Having a viable 1/2 punch in todays NFL is critical and as good as Jacobs is he is no AP who will be a workhorse stud for 10 years. 

It will allow Jacobs to prolong his career if that is what we chose for him.  The issue with that is that if he has success for 4 years he will want to get paid and in todays NFL that is not smart.  It's better to run backs into the ground and move on when they want to get paid.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I really want Zack Moss in the 3rd. But I keep telling myself using a 3rd on a Spell RB probably not a good idea. Getting AJ Dillion in the 4th is much better “value”. 

Classic case of don’t draft players because you love them, see where the value is for what you need. I think our value for a Spell RB is in the 4th. Even though I love Moss. 

You guys sleeping on Deejay Dallas. if Akers and Gibson are gone I say trade that 4th to a late 4th and get another day 3 pick. Moss/Dillion/Dallas should be there in the late 4th. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, raider4567 said:

Sure he could boom but I wouldn't take him over Van Jefferson or Bryan Edwards who produced in tougher conferences and are more polished. Jefferson is a receiver coaches' son and is a true technician. Edwards is a physical brute who can make circus catches and bully people with his physicality while still showing the speed/fluidity to run routes and break press coverage.

I'd take people's jones in the 3rd/4th, but not unless "my guys" are gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I think that a backup back is an underrated asset.  Having a viable 1/2 punch in todays NFL is critical and as good as Jacobs is he is no AP who will be a workhorse stud for 10 years. 

It will allow Jacobs to prolong his career if that is what we chose for him.  The issue with that is that if he has success for 4 years he will want to get paid and in todays NFL that is not smart.  It's better to run backs into the ground and move on when they want to get paid.  

Good points. We have so many needs though, it will be interesting to see how we plug them in the 3rd. If we go WR/CB in the 1st, I think S/DT/EDGE/OG/RB/Nickel CB/WR Double Dip, and to a lesser extent: LB are all possibilities in the 3rd Round. Not to mention I think Hurts is in play even though you disagree with that. The 3rd is going to very unpredictable. 

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure he could boom but I wouldn't take him over Van Jefferson or Bryan Edwards who produced in tougher conferences and are more polished. Jefferson is a receiver coaches' son and is a true technician. Edwards is a physical brute who can make circus catches and bully people with his physicality while still showing the speed/fluidity to run routes and break press coverage.

I'd take people's jones in the 3rd/4th, but not unless "my guys" are gone.

So strange how Van Jefferson is one of the most technically sound WR’s in this draft class. His technique is fantastic. His ceiling is quite “low” hence the 3rd Round Projection. If he ends up one of the best WRs in the league, overrating “ceilings” as a factor in drafting will get interesting. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

So strange how Van Jefferson is one of the most technically sound WR’s in this draft class. His technique is fantastic. His ceiling is quite “low” hence the 3rd Round Projection. If he ends up one of the best WRs in the league, overrating “ceilings” as a factor in drafting will get interesting. 

His floor is a 3 and his ceiling is a 2. Seems pretty good to me. 2s are very valuable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

His floor is a 3 and his ceiling is a 2. Seems pretty good to me. 2s are very valuable.

A 2 in the third is basically great value. Not to mention Antonio Brown was a 6th Round Pick because he wasn’t very athletic or fast, but his technique was great as was his IQ. I think these lower ceiling guys get picked in the 3rd partly because of the Brown-Jumble. 

Edited by BayRaider

Which is why I very respectfully disagree with the Jeudy has a “low ceiling” argument because he’s not super athletic or physical. Technique is huge for WRs, and I haven’t seen someone with as good technique as Jeudy in a long, long while. A couple examples are Antonio Brown and Chad Johnson. They both weren’t very athletic nor physical. Chad was drafted in the 2nd Round and Brown in the 6th Round. Both were thought to not have very high ceilings. 

What did both have? Masters at technique and extremely agile feet. Just like Jerry Jeudy. 

I absolutely think Jerry Jeudy can be a Top 10 WR. And I think he will be. This is obviously just an opinion, and anyone is welcome to disagree with it, and I already know of one certain person who surely will. 

Edited by BayRaider

I think based on our LB group and their ability to take away things underneath, we're going to prioritize long speed at corner. I say this because teams are going to test us vertically if they're having a hard time underneath.

I think the best fits are Terrell and Gladney from that perspective at 19. Like I said I think Henderson is off the Board.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think based on our LB group and their ability to take away things underneath, we're going to prioritize long speed at corner. I say this because teams are going to test us vertically if they're having a hard time underneath.

I think the best fits are Terrell and Gladney from that perspective at 19. Like I said I think Henderson is off the Board.

Starting to think Terrell is like a semi-lock at 19. Unless they trade or go in a entirely different direction than CB. Still think Jaylon could be the pick as well, but Terrell really fits the defensive mold. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Starting to think Terrell is like a semi-lock at 19. Unless they trade or go in a entirely different direction than CB. Still think Jaylon could be the pick as well, but Terrell really fits the defensive mold. 

I think Terrell's upside is bigger. He's a little more fluid and faster. His floor is not as high, but he has less medical concerns. I think Terrell can matchup athletically with almost any receiver in the NFL I think Johnson with his decent but not great long speed and shoulder injuries isn't a pick 19 candidate. Unless the medical checks out and he's deemed a great scheme fit. I like him. Just more enamored by Terrell's upside.

The Darius Slay comp for Terrell is not far off.

• Like 1