What are your rookie projections for these QBs: Murray, Haskins, & D. Jones?

ClutchDJ

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If the "it" factor means the "Tebow" factor I agree. Similar skillset.

Haskins is mobile for an average NFL QB. He isn't quick but for a pocket passer you don't have to be you just need to slide. The best tool for a QB is an accurate arm and he has that and McSorely doesn't and if you don't believe that then you are McSorely mistaken.

I disagree.  I saw several times at Ohio State where he looked like he was moving in molasses when he was forced out of his initial drop.  Haskins to me is a guy who will need a great offensive line to protect him to be effective.  He struggles at the first sign of pressure.  Especially when you force him off his spot.  He's not good at repositioning and throwing on the run.

If the protection is great and guys are running open, he look good.  But that isn't how its gonna be in the NFL.  Most likely he's gonna be facing pressure and will have to throw into tight windows. 

12 minutes ago, VanS said:

I disagree.  I saw several times at Ohio State where he looked like he was moving in molasses when he was forced out of his initial drop.  Haskins to me is a guy who will need a great offensive line to protect him to be effective.  He struggles at the first sign of pressure.  Especially when you force him off his spot.  He's not good at repositioning and throwing on the run.

If the protection is great and guys are running open, he look good.  But that isn't how its gonna be in the NFL.  Most likely he's gonna be facing pressure and will have to throw into tight windows. 

He threw guys open. Yeah he isn't great throwing on the run but I'll take that over the list of guys you had that can't throw from the pocket or on the run. You can do things to try to give your QB a clean pocket you can't mask an inaccurate QB. We're different in those beliefs though, you think Josh Allen will be the MVP over the 25+ starting QBs who are more accurate than he is.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Making something out of nothing.  Can you make a play when the protection isn't perfect and your receivers are easily getting open?  Can you do something beyond what the coach schemes open?

One of the biggest mistakes people make when evaluating players is they use the results to judge the player.  For example, most people right now think Jared Goff is a great QB because of the stats he's put up and the fact his team has won a lot of games.  When in reality you could put many a QB who are less highly thought of in his position and they would have just as much if not more success if you gave them the players and coaches around Goff.  The Super Bowl (in my opinion) exposed Jared Goff as insanely overrated.  Bill Belichek essentially forced Goff to play without Sean McVay telling him where to go with the ball before the snap.   And we all saw what that resulted in.  One of the most inept offensive performances in Super Bowl history.

I'm not saying you need mobility.  Peyton Manning had no mobility but he's one of the smartest minds to ever play the game and he essentially dissected the defense before the snap every play.   He lifted and carried his teams with that ability.  I give credit to players who perform beyond what the coach makes possible or the talent around him.  Its why I value a guy like Cam Newton (who might not have the sexiest passing stats) higher than most.  No matter what you think of Cam's ability as a passer, you have to admit that he carries his team to wins.   You can't say its the offensive coordinator or the offensive line/running backs making Cam Newton look good.  His skills are what results in his team's success.

Good answer.  I feel almost the same way about Goff. 

This is my biggest concern about Haskins. Does he have the ability to consistently make off-schedule plays and can he consistently remain accurate when facing pressure? I think the disconnect between us is that you think he’s incapable of it, but he has definitely shown flashes of it.  That’s why I added the word “consistently” to me concerns above.  His footwork when pressured, and therefore his accuracy, vastly improved towards the end of the year. So did his ability to throw on the run.

Watch his game against Northwestern towards the end of the year. That was his best game by far IMO, and he showed plenty of flashes of making plays when he was moved off his spot. For example:

And 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/gMpKieb

Also, according to those who have coached him and played with him, the best part of Haskins’ game is his football intelligence, so while he may not ever reach the ceiling of a Manning or Brady, he has a chance to make up for his lack of elite mobility by pairing his innate football instincts that are clear to see on film with his work ethic, studying film and finding the best ways to pick apart an opponent. That second part will come with time.  He was playing high school football only about 15 starts ago, so it’ll likely take a while before he’s completely comfortable, which is why I’ve been a strong advocate of letting him sit his entire rookie season. Let him clean up his footwork and let him get comfortable with the playbook, like Reid was smart enough to do with Mahomes. The problem is, Keenum will probably not be good enough to hold him off for long, so I can only hope he gets at least a few weeks before they force him to start. 

Edited by HTTRG3Dynasty

11 hours ago, VanS said:

Haskins to me is a guy who will need a great offensive line to protect him to be effective.  He struggles at the first sign of pressure.  Especially when you force him off his spot.  He's not good at repositioning and throwing on the run.

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-sign-offensive-lineman-ereck-flowers

Edited by Gmen

20 hours ago, VanS said:

Daniel Jones = Kirk Cousins

Kyler Murray = mini Michael Vick

Dwayne Haskins = EJ Manuel

Jones and Murray will be decent starting QBs.  Haskins will be the bust.  With regard to the rest of the class, I like Drew Lock, Jarrett Stidham, and Trace McSorely to develop into solid starters down the road.  Lock and Stidham could even be Pro Bowlers.

On a scale of JaMarcus Russell to Joshua Dobbs where would these guys rate?

JaMarcus being the bottom of the scale and Dobbs the top.