Season Expectations pt. 4: Robert Quinn

DaBoys

Season expectations for Robert Quinn?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Season expectations for Robert Quinn?

• 15+ Sacks. He's healthy, and finally on a competitive team. This guy had like 19some sacks a few years ago and he's ready to repeat. DLaw on the other end gets the doubles.
    • 9-12 Sacks. I expect him to once again be among the best pass rushers in the game. Maybe not #1 in sacks. Maybe not lead our team. Mayyybe not even double digits. But if not he missed it by a half sack.
    • 5-8 Sacks. Solid production but nothing to brag about. Benson Mayowa 2.0. That's all you can expect in this rotation.
    • 0-4 Sacks. Waste of money.

Part 4 we go back to the defense and new acquisition Robert Quinn. 4 years ago we would be freaking the flip out about this guy being on our team. He has been banged up, out of position, and on losing teams. Now he is here. What do we expect? 

"I’m just really impressed with his work habits here. He’s a real pro, comes to work here every day: effort, details, doesn’t say much. And I’m telling you what, he’s going to be a good run defender just like D-Law (DeMarcus Lawrence). We’ve got lizards over there -- racing lizards who play the run.” -Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli

Edited by DaBoys

I don’t agree with the premise here. Quinn can post his usual 6-8 sacks and still be a dramatically better player than Benson Mayowa. Was Gregory “Mayowa 2.0” last year?

That’s about what I would anticipate- close to a push on RG’s 2018, maybe a slight downgrade (similar sack total but less pressures- and hopefully less penalties). If Gregory is reinstated at some point? Now you might have something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I don’t agree with the premise here. Quinn can post his usual 6-8 sacks and still be a dramatically better player than Benson Mayowa. Was Gregory “Mayowa 2.0” last year?

That’s about what I would anticipate- close to a push on RG’s 2018, maybe a slight downgrade (similar sack total but less pressures- and hopefully less penalties). If Gregory is reinstated at some point? Now you might have something.

Agree with this. I dont think he will be as good of a pass rusher, but probably a better run defender. Most likely lateral move or slight downgrade. 

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

2016 Mayowa: 25 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 FR, 1 FF, 6 sacks

2017 RG: 25 tackles, 7 TFL, 2 FR, 1 FR, 6 sacks

Not exactly worlds apart either

12 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

2016 Mayowa: 25 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 FR, 1 FF, 6 sacks

2017 RG: 25 tackles, 7 TFL, 2 FR, 1 FR, 6 sacks

Not exactly worlds apart either

I feel extremely confident that pressure stats would bear out that RG was the better player, that he had far more almost-sacks that blew up the play than Mayowa did. And that Mayowa's 2016 was pretty much completely random and not much of a reflection of anything.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I feel extremely confident that pressure stats would bear out that RG was the better player, that he had far more almost-sacks that blew up the play than Mayowa did. And that Mayowa's 2016 was pretty much completely random and not much of a reflection of anything.

One could argue it was less random than Randy Gregory putting together a decent season. Who really expected that?

12 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Usually when someone says "Player 2.0" that means it's better than "Player 1.0". So saying Quinn is Mayowa 2.0 is a compliment...