US Open thread

sunnygsm

Del Po does it! 

So many bad approaches and volleys from Federer.

Love Del Po but I worry that the tournament is already over. Federer wasn't able to hit the ball out wide enough but Nadal certainly can and will target and brutalize Del Po's weak slice backhand. If he can throw caution to the wind and hit through it then we may get a great match, and he's in just in this crazy haze of great form so you never know. Here's hoping he can keep it up. We already know the final is gonna be a joke so I really want Del Po/Nadal to deliver the goods. 

17 hours ago, tom cody said:

All american woman's final between Stephens and Keys. I believe this is the first major final for both so be good to see 2 new players in the finals of a major.

Rooting hard for Keys. She's the future of Women's Tennis. Nice to see her starting to put it all together.

Now that he's got #16... and given that he's only 31, and seems to be 'back'... what are the chances Nadal break's Federer's record? 

Its hard to see him as anything other than the prohibitive favorite at Roland Garros for the foreseeable future.  What Fed did this year was incredible and he absolutely has a chance to win another grand slam, if not multiple, but Nadal has five years on him. 

I'm saying more likely than not.  And this is coming from a big Federer fan who will always believe he is the GOAT, even if Nadal passes him.

15 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Now that he's got #16... and given that he's only 31, and seems to be 'back'... what are the chances Nadal break's Federer's record? 

Its hard to see him as anything other than the prohibitive favorite at Roland Garros for the foreseeable future.  What Fed did this year was incredible and he absolutely has a chance to win another grand slam, if not multiple, but Nadal has five years on him. 

I'm saying more likely than not.  And this is coming from a big Federer fan who will always believe he is the GOAT, even if Nadal passes him.

You have to think Nadal has at least 3 more French Open titles alone in his future if he stays healthy.  Probably only needs 2 more of all the others to finish ahead of Federer, who I think will win 1 more Slam.

However, with Nadal's injury history, you can't count on him doing that.  I'd say his chances are about 60% to finish ahead of Federer.  I'd put it at 99% if I knew he'd be healthy for the next 3 years.  I'd love for them to both finish with 20+.  *I really want Nadal to win another Australian Open so that he has at least 2 of each Slam.  Very cool accomplishment and he'd be only the 2nd man to ever do that after Laver.

I really wanted this to be Federer's 20th Slam.  To win 3 slams in 1 year at his age would have been a truly unbelievable thing (not that 2 as his age isn't, but 3 at his age would not be replicable IMO), plus it would have been awesome to have a man hit 20 slams.  Hopefully he does get 1 more.

26 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You have to think Nadal has at least 3 more French Open titles alone in his future if he stays healthy.  Probably only needs 2 more of all the others to finish ahead of Federer, who I think will win 1 more Slam.

However, with Nadal's injury history, you can't count on him doing that.  I'd say his chances are about 60% to finish ahead of Federer.  I'd put it at 99% if I knew he'd be healthy for the next 3 years.  I'd love for them to both finish with 20+.  *I really want Nadal to win another Australian Open so that he has at least 2 of each Slam.  Very cool accomplishment and he'd be only the 2nd man to ever do that after Laver.

I really wanted this to be Federer's 20th Slam.  To win 3 slams in 1 year at his age would have been a truly unbelievable thing (not that 2 as his age isn't, but 3 at his age would not be replicable IMO), plus it would have been awesome to have a man hit 20 slams.  Hopefully he does get 1 more.

Agreed.  You never know with age, but winning two and getting to within a set of the semis in another of the three slams he competed in, not to mention beating Nadal twice, I have to think he's still got more in him.

Thought Fed's last two had put him clear of Nadal for good. Things change awfully quick.. I Djokovic returns to his former self, Nadal might have more difficulty getting past Fed. At the current rate, I think he'll pass him when it's all said and done. 

• 2 months later...

Archived