2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 4/18/2020 at 9:28 PM, kyle21121 said:

Is this draft as bad as 2000? 

star potential sure but I think it is average in terms of players having long careers and being role players

but it is more about cade cunningham than green not being awesome. he is supposedly the best passer since lebron

1 hour ago, Formerly_iavikefn said:

There isn't a single player in this class that I think is a sure-fire bet to even make a single All-Star team.

There are some who could, of course. Your Anthony Edwardeses, your LaMelo Balls, your Killian Hayeses, but I'm not 100% confident in any of the players in this draft class. 

IAVIKEFAN GOAT 

11 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

We should just turn this into a 2021 draft thread.  Ziaire Williams and Josh Christopher are BEASTS.  

Next years draft class is actually shaping up to be insane, especially if Jonathan Kuminga reclassifies. A bunch of 6'6-6'9" guards/wings available at the top of the class. 

If I was ranking them currently I'd go:

Tier 1

• Cade Cunningham | 6'7" 215 | CG | Oklahoma State

• Jonathan Kuminga | 6'9" 220 | CF | Uncommitted 

• Jalen Green | 6'5" 190 | SG | G League 

Tier 2

• Evan Mobley | 7'0" 200 | C | USC 

• Jalen Johnson | 6'8" 215 | CF | Duke

• Terrance Clarke | 6'7" 190 | SG | Kentucky 

Tier 3

• Brandon Boston Jr | 6'7" 190 | SG | Kentucky

• Greg Brown | 6'9" 190 | CF | Vanderbilt

• Scottie Barnes | 6'8" 210 | CF | Florida State

• Zaire Williams | 6'7" 190 | CF | Stanford

• Jalen Suggs | 6'5" 190 | PG | Gonzaga

• Josh Christopher | 6'5" 200 | CG | Arizona State

I feel confident in saying that any of the 6 players in the top 2 tiers would've been the #1 pick in this years draft. And that all of the players would've been lottery picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Formerly_iavikefn said:

There isn't a single player in this class that I think is a sure-fire bet to even make a single All-Star team.

There are some who could, of course. Your Anthony Edwardeses, your LaMelo Balls, your Killian Hayeses, but I'm not 100% confident in any of the players in this draft class. 

I'm not a huge fan of any of these players either. I could see some of them panning out but more likely I'd project: 

• James Wiseman [Realistic: Hassan Whiteside] [Best case: Joel Embiid]

• Anthony Edwards [Realistic: Dion Waiters] [Best case: Victor Oladipo]

• LaMelo Ball [Realistic: Michael Carter-Williams] [Best case: Mike Bibby (bigger version)]

• Cole Anthony [Realistic: Malik Monk] [Best case: CJ McCollum]

• Obi Toppin [Realistic: Derrick Williams] [Best case: Antawn Jamison]

So Karim Mane is throwing his name into the draft for now, as is Aaron Henry from MSU.  Anyone think either of these guys will get good enough feedback to stay in the draft?  Being such a crap class might be a better chance for some of them but neither of these guys have 1st round potential IMO.  

20 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So Karim Mane is throwing his name into the draft for now, as is Aaron Henry from MSU.  Anyone think either of these guys will get good enough feedback to stay in the draft?  Being such a crap class might be a better chance for some of them but neither of these guys have 1st round potential IMO.  

I could see a team taking a late first round flier on Mane just because of the physical tools. I think Henry will return to school. Either way most guys should at least get feedback, see where they're projected to go, and what teams want them to work on. 

• Like 1

@Sllim Pickens another big thing this year is the shelter in place guidelines. The NBA combine is scheduled for the end of May in Chicago but it probably won't happen. So teams are going to be limited to Zoom meetings and studying whatever tape they have on prospects. That'll hurt a guy like Mane who has played in Canada. 

• Like 1

ESPN wants to push the LaMelo Ball is an elite prospect narrative so hard, especially with such a weak draft class. Givony has him ranked as his #2 overall prospect in the class. 

The scouting report they gave listed his strengths and weaknesses as:

Strengths

• Elite size for a PG at 6'7" 

• Gifted ball handler for his size

• Gifted passer

• Has the potential to be an average defender

• Will be the youngest player in the draft

Weaknesses

• Has struggled to score efficiently throughout his career (46% from 2, 25% from 3)

• Unorthodox shooting mechanics, two handed release while kicking out his legs. 

• Inability to buy a basket at times in the half-court in Australia. 

• Lacks high end explosivness creating offense and beating opponents off the dribble.

• Doesn't have the strength to finish around the basket so relies on tough shots inside the arc. 

• Indifferent defender for much of his career. 

• Has been maligned at times for his work ethic and level of focus. 

How does that sound like a top 5 prospect? 

• Like 3