2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 6/19/2020 at 3:36 AM, beekay414 said:

There's no argument whatsoever. Lonzo had plus advanced metrics as a defender at UCLA and has been a plus defender his entire NBA career so far.  Melo looks like a turnstile guarding NBL players. 

Unless you think 18 in the NBL vs 19 in the NCAA is a massive gap (hint: it's not). 

See, I shat on Trae Young because of his putrid defense but at least he was a potential elite offensive player. Melo is getting the same treatment as Young and for God knows what reason. He's not a good basketball player. 

I just want to remind everyone that we're talking about a kid from the NBL, whose team went 3-9 with him, that shot 37.5/25.0/72.3 on the season and it's not like he played limited minutes either.  Everybody thinks he'll be able to shoot despite the fact that he's never been able to at any stop of his young career. And he's got the defensive awareness of a potato half the time. And what tools other than length does he have without his brother's instincts? He's an average athlete with average agility. He can't even stay in front of NBL players with his length. He's going to get massively exposed at the NBA level. 

He's a flashy passing Michael Carter-Williams without the defense. 

Yeah, what argument could be made for Melo>Zo as a defender? There is no way you could watch both and come to that conclusion. You nailed it. He's Trae defensively without being Trae offensively.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 1:42 AM, CWood21 said:

LaMelo has the tools to be a good defender,

What tools? 

On 6/19/2020 at 1:42 AM, CWood21 said:

and I think there's a strong argument that he looked like a better defender than Lonzo did at the same point of their careers.

Is you crazy! - Dave Chapelle (Fucking Up) | Make a Meme

11 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Among the last ten drafts...is this the weakest?

Going into it the Anthony Bennett draft was probably weaker. In hindsight it did have Giannis in it and Dipo was better than expected, McCollum was also in it, still pretty bad overall. We'll see how many hidden gems come out of this one exactly. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

That move at the 50 second mark was embarrassing.

Crossover! Oh yeah, you weren't fooled by that? Well how about...another crossover! Oh, you're smart I see. Well then how about...a crossover for you! Still here, huh? I'm impressed. But I know you won't be able to stop my next super move...a crossover!

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 11:53 AM, Bullet Club said:

Was that all from one game?

It was all RJ Hampton's team. If you watch closely, Hampton shut him down on all the possessions he was matched up with LaMelo (in the video, LaMelo got a few contested jumpers to fall). Also RJ had him on skates whenever LaMelo was matched up on him. Oh yeah, Hampton didn't blow those easy layups either. In discussing the two NBL prospects, Hampton is better than LaMelo at everything but passing and handling. Why does LaMelo get ranked so highly. I don't get it. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:42 AM, beekay414 said:

Obi and defense are two words that don't go together at all. He's going to be a sieve on that end because he's a limited athlete side to side and he doesn't use his length well.

Can't rely on just highlights for Obi, he was held back on defense somewhat by Grant because they didn't want him getting into foul trouble with so little depth behind him coupled with him being the primary offensive weapon for Dayton.  Depth was a big issue after a couple injuries early.  Had Chase Johnson been able to stay healthy, Obi would have been allowed to be a little more aggressive on defense.  That said, still not the best defender, but better than you're thinking.

23 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Boston has 3 1st rd picks in what might be the worst draft in 10 years.. 

Disagree. This draft lacks "studs" but it has a ton of guys who I think will be good role players, and thats all Boston needs at this point.