Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Bakhtiari: past his prime?

How long are Z. Smith's arms? Long, speed-to-power guys have always been his worst matchup, but those guys are rare.  I half suspect one of the arguments for "drafting Gary" was "so that Bakh did not have to block him."

from The Athletic

On Sunday, while the running backs and fullbacks drilled elsewhere, Aaron Jones stood alone in front of a Jugs machine operated by two Packers staffers. He first faced the machine from about 10 feet away, then turned sideways, then squatted, then fielded balls intentionally fired an inch from the ground, then lowered to a sideways near-kneeling position to catch balls.

“I’ve done a lot of work,” Jones said. “(LaFleur is) gonna be putting me out there at wide receiver or using me in different ways in the passing game. I gotta be ready and I’m confident in my hands. Gonna continue to work them and be ready for when my number’s called … I feel like my hands have gotten good, low ball, high ball, anywhere.”

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

from The Athletic

On Sunday, while the running backs and fullbacks drilled elsewhere, Aaron Jones stood alone in front of a Jugs machine operated by two Packers staffers. He first faced the machine from about 10 feet away, then turned sideways, then squatted, then fielded balls intentionally fired an inch from the ground, then lowered to a sideways near-kneeling position to catch balls.

“I’ve done a lot of work,” Jones said. “(LaFleur is) gonna be putting me out there at wide receiver or using me in different ways in the passing game. I gotta be ready and I’m confident in my hands. Gonna continue to work them and be ready for when my number’s called … I feel like my hands have gotten good, low ball, high ball, anywhere.”

I'm a big believer in Juggs machine work. I once watched Sterling Sharpe before a game the GBPs were playing in Tampa. He stood inside the sideline - bent forward and set his feet spread wide - and had some guy fire the football at him - which he clamped down on like a vise. Not sure if they had Juggs machines in his day, but he was a huge proponent of hand strength and "hands only" catching. Good to see AJ working this angle of his game.

PackersWire: Josh Jones puts offseason in the past, committed to helping Packers.

Green Bay Packers safety Josh Jones is putting all the offseason drama behind him and focusing on competing during training camp and helping the Packers defense in 2019. He sounded like a completely different player at his locker after practice Tuesday.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

PackersWire: Josh Jones puts offseason in the past, committed to helping Packers.

Green Bay Packers safety Josh Jones is putting all the offseason drama behind him and focusing on competing during training camp and helping the Packers defense in 2019. He sounded like a completely different player at his locker after practice Tuesday.

Less talk Josh; more results.  

Rob Demovsky:
Sounds like the Packers are letting bygones be bygones with safety Josh Jones, who skipped the OTAs this offseason as a way to voice his displeasure with his standing on the team. "I think Josh has had a really good beginning to camp" Brian Gutekunst. "He's getting a lot of opportunity and there's a lot of positive signs that he can help our team." Jones has played both safety in the base D and inside linebacker in the sub package.

Andy Herman:
This is totally surprising to me. For a team that quickly moved on from Randall, HaHa, & Jermaine Whitehead at the 1st sign of discontent or issue I thought Jones would be long gone. Him playing a role on defense & having a real nice camp is a great sign for the Packers’ defense.

Tom Silverstein:  Packers Camp Insider: Passing game struggling to stretch the field:

"A good judge of any offense is whether it can stretch the field with its passing game and connect on plays that demoralize a defense. Those have been few and far between in the first five practices under new coach Matt LaFleur. “There’s some plays that we’ve missed down the field,” LaFleur said. “It’s been pretty evident. But it is a work in progress. I think we’re getting better in that regard, but when they are there, they have to be automatic.” There was one there Tuesday. It was a long-developing play in which Aaron Rodgers faked a hand-off, rolled to his left and threw across the field to receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling. The play was wide open, but Rodgers underthrew it badly. He dropped to one knee in frustration. “That was our first time throwing it since last spring,” Valdes-Scantling said. “That was our first true rep at it. It just got away from us. But I think he’ll make that throw 10 out of 10 times when it matters. It’s not an easy throw. It’s 50 yards down the field, opposite numbers.”

It's way early - so no conclusions to be found here - but (IMO) that was a big part of ARs problem last year: leaving long passes short. In essence, allowing the beaten DB to get back into the pattern and obstruct the WR who had to slow down/hold up and wait on the ball.

It's early....

Btw - I like how MLF doesnt mice his words.

Archived