The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Merrifield can play OF. He's solid in left and center but for some reason has struggled in right. Even so, I think he'd be our RF once Hiura is ready. Who knows what happens with Thames and Braun before 2019.

C - ???
1B - Aguilar
2B - Hiura
3B - Shaw
SS - ???
LF - Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Merrifield

I wouldn't hate it but if we're looking at him as a long term OF with Keston at 2B I think I'd rather have Ray. Will let us ease up on Cain and put him in RF as he ages too.

We can't afford good starting pitching and we never draft any high, so if I'm going to trade one of our top 5 guys I'm really only interested in controllable starters (and I don't think any worthwhile will get moved, I think the Mets guys and Archer stay put.)

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I wouldn't hate it but if we're looking at him as a long term OF with Keston at 2B I think I'd rather have Ray. Will let us ease up on Cain and put him in RF as he ages too.

We can't afford good starting pitching and we never draft any high, so if I'm going to trade one of our top 5 guys I'm really only interested in controllable starters (and I don't think any worthwhile will get moved, I think the Mets guys and Archer stay put.)

Eh, Ray is too volatile for my liking. He's obviously producing this year but I'm still not sure what to think of him. If I can get a guy like Merrifield, who is controlled through 2022, I'm doing it. Especially considering Merrifield plays CF pretty well (and we also have Yelich).

2015 draft makes my heart hurt.

Trent Grisham
Nathan Kirby
Cody Ponce
Nash Walters
Demi Orimoloye

First 5 picks. Grisham is a soft contact, high BB% guy that is probably a 4th OF at best, Kirby is broken, Ponce is a BOR horse type, Walters is MIA (hasn't pitched since 2016 - TJS?), and Demi is just now showing some signs of life.

The best two guys so far out of that draft are our 27th and 35th rounders (Jon Perrin and QTC).

48 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

2015 draft makes my heart hurt.

Trent Grisham
Nathan Kirby
Cody Ponce
Nash Walters
Demi Orimoloye

First 5 picks. Grisham is a soft contact, high BB% guy that is probably a 4th OF at best, Kirby is broken, Ponce is a BOR horse type, Walters is MIA (hasn't pitched since 2016 - TJS?), and Demi is just now showing some signs of life.

The best two guys so far out of that draft are our 27th and 35th rounders (Jon Perrin and QTC).

Yep. He was touching 98, then the elbow popped.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

100%. Rental 2B only. We have the best 2B prospect in baseball, and he's going to be MLB ready next year. There are a glut of 2B rental options.

We'd be paying a premium for team control we don't need.

Eh, I dunno why you wouldn't want a versatile 3+ win player still on long term team control. Not like he's strictly 2B only and it's not like our 3rd OF spot has been great...

Merrifield is at 3.1 fWAR himself. Braun, Thames, Broxton and Santana are at a combined 2.1. Even then, that doesn't even factor in our gaping hole at 2B he could fill right now while we still trot out that 2 win platoon at the 3rd OF spot...

Edited by beekay414

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

100%. Rental 2B only. We have the best 2B prospect in baseball, and he's going to be MLB ready next year. There are a glut of 2B rental options.

We'd be paying a premium for team control we don't need.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Eh, I dunno why you wouldn't want a versatile 3+ win player still on long term team control. Not like he's strictly 2B only and it's not like our 3rd OF spot has been great...

Merrifield is at 3.1 fWAR himself. Braun, Thames, Broxton and Santana are at a combined 2.1. Even then, that doesn't even factor in our gaping hole at 2B he could fill right now while we still trot out that 2 win platoon at the 3rd OF spot...

Because if Hiura, Burnes and Peralta are untouchable the Merrifield package is going to have to be headlined by Ray. You're probably looking at Ortiz or Erceg as well and then some lotto tickets. At that point you're looking at whoevers left from the trade Turang and Lutz as the top prospects (assuming the top 3 are all major leaguers.) That's not very good. You still won't be able to buy any pitching and you can't trade for it.

Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Burnes, Peralta is quite meh to me. We never use high picks on pitchers, we need to make another CC/Grienke deal IMO (probably in the off-season as I don't see that type of pitching available.) I'd like a pitcher who's actually enjoyable to watch start again. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because if Hiura, Burnes and Peralta are untouchable the Merrifield package is going to have to be headlined by Ray. You're probably looking at Ortiz or Erceg as well and then some lotto tickets. At that point you're looking at whoevers left from the trade Turang and Lutz as the top prospects (assuming the top 3 are all major leaguers.) That's not very good. You still won't be able to buy any pitching and you can't trade for it.

Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Burnes, Peralta is quite meh to me. We never use high picks on pitchers, we need to make another CC/Grienke deal IMO (probably in the off-season as I don't see that type of pitching available.) I'd like a pitcher who's actually enjoyable to watch start again. 

And who exactly is that pitcher? I'd take Merrifield over any pitcher available on the market right now or this offseason. We're not getting Carlos Martinez and he's not on the market anyways. We're not getting deGrom. Archer is wearing down and won't be worth the price the Rays want. I'm sorry, I'm not holding out on getting a 3+ win player with team control for hopes we acquire a SP on the market. 

I'm more than fine with Burnes, Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Peralta in 2019. Our rotation isn't the issue. Our offense is the issue.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And who exactly is that pitcher? I'd take Merrifield over any pitcher available on the market right now or this offseason. We're not getting Carlos Martinez and he's not on the market anyways. We're not getting deGrom. Archer is wearing down and won't be worth the price the Rays want. I'm sorry, I'm not holding out on getting a 3+ win player with team control for hopes we acquire a SP on the market. 

I'm more than fine with Burnes, Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Peralta in 2019. Our rotation isn't the issue. Our offense is the issue.

Do you want Merrifield because he happens to be the best of what's available, or because he's a good fit?

He's not a good fit. If Hiura is as good as we think he is, we have players with at least 4 years of team control who are all just as good or better at the 3 positions he can actually play. And the 2 backup positions he plays are the 2 where we have more depth than anywhere.

This is a 5 year window. We don't need to throw our farm system at the first thing we see.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do you want Merrifield because he happens to be the best of what's available, or because he's a good fit?

He's not a good fit. If Hiura is as good as we think he is, we have players with at least 4 years of team control who are all just as good at the 3 positions he can actually play. And the 2 backup positions he plays are the 2 where we have more depth than anywhere.

This is a 5 year window. We don't need to throw our farm system at the first thing we see.

I want Merrifield because he's ******* good and has control. That's why I want him. Let's just say I'm tired of the .240 hitter type that is unreliable and inconsistent. Which, ya know, we trot out everywhere except LF, CF and 1B.