The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

3 hours ago, Klone1 said:

How is anybody putting blame on Sedar? Bases loaded and nobody out with the top of the lineup coming up vs risking that Manny Pina out runs the throw from shallow left center. That play was 100% on Broxton

Nobody is blaming Sedar for not sending Pina. People are blaming him for sending Miley. 

11 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Giving a standing ovation to Hader is cringeworthy as hell. 

The fans weren't cheering for the tweets but are showing support for a young man who is sorry for being a stupid 17 year old  back in his youth.  If these tweets were made last week then the ovation would be cringeworthy.

20 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The fans weren't cheering for the tweets but are showing support for a young man who is sorry for being a stupid 17 year old  back in his youth.  If these tweets were made last week then the ovation would be cringeworthy.

Still cringeworthy. Not saying we should boo him (though I wouldn't fault those who do), but the whole stadium giving him in ovation is a horrible look.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Still cringeworthy. Not saying we should boo him (though I wouldn't fault those who do), but the whole stadium giving him in ovation is a horrible look.

It helped him relax and pitch well, that's really all that matters at this point. Every single one of his teammates has shown obvious support for him which is obvious proof he's not the person that believed anything those tweets said, just an ignorant kid thinking he was cool. More cringeworthy to me to try and paint someone you don't know into something he's not based on something as baseless as tweets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It helped him relax and pitch well, that's really all that matters at this point. Every single one of his teammates has shown obvious support for him which is obvious proof he's not the person that believed anything those tweets said, just an ignorant kid thinking he was cool. More cringeworthy to me to try and paint someone you don't know into something he's not based on something as baseless as tweets.

Where did I do this?

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Where did I do this?

The top comments on everything social media I've read on the matter are something along the lines of "Racist Milwaukee loves their racists," or people calling to boycott the Brewers. That's why I imagine you're saying this is cringeworthy because it's going to generate that kind of reaction and publicity for us. I find their reaction cringeworthy. I was happy when the Packers lost the cringeworthy kneeling boycotters and I'll be equally as carefree if the opposite side of the spectrum decides to boycott the Brewers for supporting Hader.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The top comments on everything social media I've read on the matter are something along the lines of "Racist Milwaukee loves their racists," or people calling to boycott the Brewers. That's why I imagine you're saying this is cringeworthy because it's going to generate that kind of reaction and publicity for us. I find their reaction cringeworthy. I was happy when the Packers lost the cringeworthy kneeling boycotters and I'll be equally as carefree if the opposite side of the spectrum decides to boycott the Brewers for supporting Hader.

I mean, that's an easy 500 words if you want to pump something out to generate clicks. Boycott the Brewers is the hard line take if you're looking for retweets, but a longer piece on the Milwaukee fanbase without suggesting any retaliatory action is just as easy to write and much more mainstream. Throw in a description of what happened, a line about how segregated the city still is, add some quotes from Hader and the team, mention how he wasn't suspended and you're done in 15 minutes. I'm not surprised that's the road the national media is going down.

Even if you find the media coverage here cringeworthy, it's probably going to dictate the national perception of the Brewers and the fanbase until the spotlight moves somewhere else. 

Personally, I think it's more cringeworthy because Hader brought 100% of this on himself. LIS, I'm not saying everyone has to boo him or boycott the team or whatever extremely anti-Hader takes are out there. Just not a fan of the fanbase taking the most extreme pro-Hader response.

EDIT: The best way I can describe this is that there are plenty of paths to take where we can forgive Josh Hader without praising him the first chance we get.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean, that's an easy 500 words if you want to pump something out to generate clicks. Boycott the Brewers is the hard line take if you're looking for retweets, but a longer piece on the Milwaukee fanbase without suggesting any retaliatory action is just as easy to write and much more mainstream. Throw in a description of what happened, a line about how segregated the city still is, add some quotes from Hader and the team, mention how he wasn't suspended and you're done in 15 minutes. I'm not surprised that's the road the national media is going down.

Even if you find the media coverage here cringeworthy, it's probably going to dictate the national perception of the Brewers and the fanbase until the spotlight moves somewhere else. 

Personally, I think it's more cringeworthy because Hader brought 100% of this on himself. LIS, I'm not saying everyone has to boo him or boycott the team or whatever extremely anti-Hader takes are out there. Just not a fan of the fanbase taking the most extreme pro-Hader response.

EDIT: The best way I can describe this is that there are plenty of paths to take where we can forgive Josh Hader without praising him the first chance we get.

I never considered what the fans did as praising him but more of showing support for a young man who genuinely feels bad for his past digressions.  There is a big difference here.

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I never considered what the fans did as praising him but more of showing support for a young man who genuinely feels bad for his past digressions.  There is a big difference here.

1. There's really not that big a difference when the operative words here are "showing support" versus "praising".
  2. It's an ovation, which is generic and 100% open to interpretation. There wasn't a chant or anything else that narrowed down the intended message.
  3. If you asked the Brewer fans who were there, you'd likely get a wide range of reasons why they applauded.

That may be your reason for supporting the standing ovation, but I don't think you're justified in assuming that's the rationale of the entire fanbase.

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
  1. There's really not that big a difference when the operative words here are "showing support" versus "praising".
  2. It's an ovation, which is generic and 100% open to interpretation. There wasn't a chant or anything else that narrowed down the intended message.
  3. If you asked the Brewer fans who were there, you'd likely get a wide range of reasons why they applauded.

That may be your reason for supporting the standing ovation, but I don't think you're justified in assuming that's the rationale of the entire fanbase.

Having thought a little bit about this, this was probably the heart of why I was uncomfortable watching it: I'm stuck guessing why all of the fans were clapping. There are some rationales for it that are about recognizing forgiveness, or showing support like his teammates have, and there are others that get progressively less pleasant. But all we hear are claps and cheers, so there's no way to actually get at the 'why', which is what really matters.

@Pugger and @Packerraymond appreciate you responding so that I'd have to think about this a little bit more.

As a non-Brewers fan, I didn’t like it one bit. Just like with Gurriel getting applauded. I think it’s a bit tasteless. It also showed to me that it didn’t take much (did he really do anything outside of a bland apology) to get past what he said. 

I think just having him come out and pitch would have been fine. No need for applause let alone a standing O. I know the applauding can be seen as just showing support for a 25 year old player but like Rams said, I could easily see it being other reasons as well. 

Im not saying he is racist or that he even still believes in what he tweeted out back then, it’s just a bad look on the fan base in my mind. If he had come out and everything had been status quo and he pitched without the standing O, then I don’t see it as a big deal. Like Rams outlined, it’s tough to tell intent of every person in that standing O. Combine that with prior issues of discrimination in the city and it’s not a good look.