The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

23 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

You don't give up top prospects for rentals. If Machado was a reasonable price, sure, go get him. But our window isn't closing, this is literally the first year that we've been actively trying to win since 2014. Every single player of note is locked up long-term (rams, correct me if I'm wrong there). You don't need a desperation move. If you can get a couple of competent bats for cheap, attack that way. This team isn't one bat away from being the best team in baseball. 

It's okay to give up top prospects for rentals, it worked out for the Cubs. It's even more ok to give up non-elite pitching prospects, but that's probably why the Orioles preferred the Dodgers offer to a theoretical offer built around Burnes.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

It's okay to give up top prospects for rentals, it worked out for the Cubs. It's even more ok to give up non-elite pitching prospects, but that's probably why the Orioles preferred the Dodgers offer to a theoretical offer built around Burnes.

I don't think there was an offer built around Burnes honestly. If you have a massive payroll, I fully accept chasing a ring. Any hole that is made in your system is replaceable if you have the budget to fill it. Hell, if you think there's any chance that bringing in a guy for a few months makes you more likely to land him long-term, all the better. I'm not going to pretend I would've been upset if we landed Machado, but I certainly understand why Stearns would draw a line in the sand and be hesitant to cross it. This team was thought to be in the early stage of a long rebuild last year. Going all-in when you're still not going to be one of the top three teams in baseball is tough. The big moves this offseason made sense because of the control, making a huge play for a rental just goes against almost everything Stearns has done to this point.

I'm pretty optimistic that the window to chase a title isn't going to be slammed shut in the next year or so. If Jimmy Nelson comes back strong, Hiura looks ready to play 2B in the majors next year and they find one more bottom of the order piece, 2019 may be the year they start actively looking to compile as much talent as they can in search of a ring.

@titans0021 I also have a very low opinion of 99% of pitching prospects. There's a solid chance that Machado would provide more value to the Brewers than Burnes ever will. The Cubs pretty much knew Chapman was signing with the Yanks even though they're a big market team and they gave up Gleyber+.

On top of that, you guys are built to win right now. Y'all were expected to be a playoff team after signing Cain and trading for Yelich so I think it's a good idea to capitalize sooner than later. You don't get to trade for Machado-caliber dudes very often.

This is all moot because I would easily take the Dodgers package over Burnes+.

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

You don't give up top prospects for rentals. If Machado was a reasonable price, sure, go get him. But our window isn't closing, this is literally the first year that we've been actively trying to win since 2014. Every single player of note is locked up long-term (rams, correct me if I'm wrong there). You don't need a desperation move. If you can get a couple of competent bats for cheap, attack that way. This team isn't one bat away from being the best team in baseball. 

Correct. We'll be better next year. There's a time to go all in, but it's not the first year of a 5-year competitive window.

17 hours ago, packerbacker87 said:

Oh yea. Whens the last time this team won anything significantly relevant? Probably before u were born. Enjoy

How could I possibly argue with such stout and well-thought out ideas?