The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

For us, or the teams trying to poach him?

Us. Baseball front office are composed of young, upper/upper middle class Ivy league kids who want to be a GM and are willing to make minimum wage nearly in the short term to get there. Upward mobility is going to be among the most important factors in whether or not they take a job, and we now have 2 headlines from a high profile employee that say the Brewers won't let you get that next job.

47 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Us. Baseball front office are composed of young, upper/upper middle class Ivy league kids who want to be a GM and are willing to make minimum wage nearly in the short term to get there. Upward mobility is going to be among the most important factors in whether or not they take a job, and we now have 2 headlines from a high profile employee that say the Brewers won't let you get that next job.

David Stearns is the highest baseball exec in our office, why would we let him leave for a lateral move??

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

David Stearns is the highest baseball exec in our office, why would we let him leave for a lateral move??

Lateral move by job title, but almost definitely not a lateral move financially. And it'd be one thing if we announced a new deal for him instead (we still might, it's what we did when we denied the Giants permission, in which case this isn't nearly as big a deal), but if we didn't let him interview and then just keep him around without a new deal, that's different.

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Lateral move by job title, but almost definitely not a lateral move financially. And it'd be one thing if we announced a new deal for him instead (we still might, it's what we did when we denied the Giants permission, in which case this isn't nearly as big a deal), but if we didn't let him interview and then just keep him around without a new deal, that's different.

You're going to be both a player and FO farm system for the big markets if you let them poach your GM because they have a bigger budget. If that scares away young talent who would only want to be here as a stepping stone, good. Protect what's yours.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You're going to be both a player and FO farm system for the big markets if you let them poach your GM because they have a bigger budget. If that scares away young talent who would only want to be here as a stepping stone, good. Protect what's yours.

Fair enough. I think long term this hurts our ability to be competitive for the best entry level front office, but there's room for disagreement.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fair enough. I think long term this hurts our ability to be competitive for the best entry level front office, but there's room for disagreement.

I guess it's like my same argument with the Badgers coaching, sure you may be capped at Paul Chryst and not a new guy who may be a star, but that guy will leave and you're back to square one. At least with the guy who wants to be there you can build something with longevity.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I guess it's like my same argument with the Badgers coaching, sure you may be capped at Paul Chryst and not a new guy who may be a star, but that guy will leave and you're back to square one. At least with the guy who wants to be there you can build something with longevity.

It's interesting that you mentioned the Badgers, because I think my stance on this has probably changed in the past 5 years in large part because of the Dave Aranda situation. I thought our defense was a product of him, and originally the changes were, but because he passed enough on, we could let him go and use Wilcox, then Leonard, etc. Now the 3-4 defines us as much as anything besides the OL.

I would hope that Stearns has been here long enough people have been able to figure out his thought process, so even after he would leave, his influence would still be all over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...