The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would we want a guy who's 5-6 years away when the whole point of moving Hader is to load up and make another run in Yelich's prime? I get the prospect hype with Dominguez but it doesn't make sense when you think of windows and how small market teams must build.

Wouldn't Garcia +++ be the better starting point?

Sorry.....you all want Dominguez.....the NYY want more than just Hader. So there :)

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

OH gotcha. I was looking at the roster and trying to figure out who they'd even want outside of Yeli and Hiura lol

I've been looking at it from the reverse angle....why would the NYY want Hader at this point? Talented? No question...and he could use a drop in his innings load - but the BP is well manned (and paid for) at this point.

Britton (13M) has an opt out after this season and we just reupped Chapman thru 2022. Hader's gonna start to get pricey next year...but would I mind seeing him come on board and the NYY moving a guy like Ottavino (2yrs @ 8Mea) to someplace else? Not at all. Will it happen? In all likelihood not.

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would we want a guy who's 5-6 years away when the whole point of moving Hader is to load up and make another run in Yelich's prime? I get the prospect hype with Dominguez but it doesn't make sense when you think of windows and how small market teams must build.

Wouldn't Garcia +++ be the better starting point?

To me, the point of moving Hader would be in conjunction with a lifetime Yelich contract. Overall, we should be going after the best prospects period, and not worrying as much about defining one competitive window. That's how Taylor Jungmann's happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The whole reason of moving Hader is to get the best package possible, period. You don't limit yourself to a so called window. That's how you come out of the deal with a lesser return. 

You absolutely limit yourself to a window. This isn't the NFL and we aren't the Yankees. The whole "sustained success" thing Stearns talked about when he was hired is a fairytale to appease the fan base that didn't know any better. We have a window of Yeli's prime and then that window is shut. No different than teams the Marlins or Royals of the past have done. I'm not going to trade players for prospects that don't help me in that window.

We have the best player in baseball on our roster, I'm 30 years old and this is the first time I can say that in my lifetime. If we're able to sign him long-term there isn't going to be a ton of payroll left over. We have to be smart while also striking while he's in his prime, so another 5 or so years.

If you're going to move Hader for a headliner of a 16 year old hyped lotto ticket than don't move him at all and make him apart of the next run you try to make. If you can turn him into a fair deal 3-4 20-22 year olds that are controllable and can help you starting in 2021, then I say go for it. Kind of like the Gomez deal that got him here in the first place, those 4 weren't far from the bigs.

I guess the only way it makes sense is if you use him as trade bait to buy in 2021.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You absolutely limit yourself to a window. This isn't the NFL and we aren't the Yankees. The whole "sustained success" thing Stearns talked about when he was hired is a fairytale to appease the fan base that didn't know any better. We have a window of Yeli's prime and then that window is shut. No different than teams the Marlins or Royals of the past have done. I'm not going to trade players for prospects that don't help me in that window.

We have the best player in baseball on our roster, I'm 30 years old and this is the first time I can say that in my lifetime. If we're able to sign him long-term there isn't going to be a ton of payroll left over. We have to be smart while also striking while he's in his prime, so another 5 or so years.

If you're going to move Hader for a headliner of a 16 year old hyped lotto ticket than don't move him at all and make him apart of the next run you try to make. If you can turn him into a fair deal 3-4 20-22 year olds that are controllable and can help you starting in 2021, then I say go for it. Kind of like the Gomez deal that got him here in the first place, those 4 weren't far from the bigs.

I guess the only way it makes sense is if you use him as trade bait to buy in 2021.

Agree to disagree. We simply don't have the horses to win a title so this window is already basically shut. Extend Yelich and build any way you can. Limiting yourself is stupid. We all know how fickle relievers are anyways. All it takes is one bad season or an injury and you're ****ed outta whatever value you could've had. You sell relievers high. Simple as that. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Agree to disagree. We simply don't have the horses to win a title so this window is already basically shut. Extend Yelich and build any way you can. Limiting yourself is stupid. We all know how fickle relievers are anyways. All it takes is one bad season or an injury and you're ****ed outta whatever value you could've had. You sell relievers high. Simple as that. 

Why extend Yelich if you think the window is shut? Might as well trade him too.

Unless you think I'm talking about going for it in 2020, which I'm not. I'm talking about opening a window from 2021-2023.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why extend Yelich if you think the window is shut? Might as well trade him too.

Unless you think I'm talking about going for it in 2020, which I'm not. I'm talking about opening a window from 2021-2023.

And who is to say that the other pieces we acquire don't contribute in that time frame?

Jesus lol. Just because you trade a damn reliever doesn't mean you "might as well trade" a perennial MVP candidate. What is with you people lol. 

Hader isn't a do or die for me. We've shown we can piece together a bullpen and we have BP arms throughout the system. Our success is not going to hinge on Josh friggin Hader.