1. 1. Better Coach

• Sean McVay
    • Matt Nagy

22 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

1) They are the last 2 coaches of the year

2) They are the hottest young coaches in the league

3) They both dramatically turned around historically bad offenses in 1 year

There are countless more reasons.  

It's a tough call, as the fan above posted, wouldnt want anyone other than Nagy for the Bears right now.  I think they could be 1a and 1b in a few years.

Naggy made pro bowl

RB Howard into a scrub. How does that happen? Mcvay kept everyone from the offense and built around them. 

naggy took the 30th ranked offense to the 21st ranked Offense. Hardy would call that a massive turn around lol. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

1) They are the last 2 coaches of the year

2) They are the hottest young coaches in the league

3) They both dramatically turned around historically bad offenses in 1 year

There are countless more reasons.  

It's a tough call, as the fan above posted, wouldnt want anyone other than Nagy for the Bears right now.  I think they could be 1a and 1b in a few years.

Did Nagy turn around the offense, or did having a dominant defense just put them in better scoring position on a regular basis?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Naggy made pro bowl

RB Howard into a scrub. How does that happen? Mcvay kept everyone from the offense and built around them. 

naggy took the 30th ranked offense to the 21st ranked Offense. Hardy would call that a massive turn around lol. 

You know as well as I do yards are incredibly deceptive, I'd say the top 10 scoring offense is much more indicative, hard to gain a whole lot of yards when the defense keeps you in great position the vast majority of the time.  6th in points from 32nd means a whole lot more.

3 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Did Nagy turn around the offense, or did having a dominant defense just put them in better scoring position on a regular basis?

It was both.  The Bears D has been pretty good for the last few years, but the O was horrific under Fox.  Nagy brought new life to the offense.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:38 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

It was both.  The Bears D has been pretty good for the last few years, but the O was horrific under Fox.  Nagy brought new life to the offense.

John Fox also didn't have Gabriel, Miller, Robinson, or Burton though did he?  I'd imagine adding 4 of the team's top 5 pass catchers in one offseason brought just as much new life to the offense. A bit easier to "bring new life to an offense" when your top WR's aren't Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy.

Edited by fortdetroit

9 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

John Fox also didn't have Gabriel, Miller, Robinson, or Burton though did he?  I'd imagine adding 4 of the team's top 5 pass catchers in one offseason brought just as much new life to the offense. A bit easier to "bring new life to an offense" when your top WR's aren't Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy.

Which if you read anything about what those players said when they came, you'd know Nagy was a big reason they signed with Chicago.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:34 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

You know as well as I do yards are incredibly deceptive, I'd say the top 10 scoring offense is much more indicative, hard to gain a whole lot of yards when the defense keeps you in great position the vast majority of the time.  6th in points from 32nd means a whole lot more.

Points can be deceptive too though.  Bears were 5th in average starting field position in 2018 as opposed to 25th in 2017.  

Bears ranked 13th in the league in average points per drive.  The 8 teams ahead of them in PPG and how they ranked in points per drive: Chiefs were 1st, Rams 3rd, Saints 2nd, Patriots 8th, Colts 6th, Steelers 9th, Seahawks 7th, Chargers 5th.  Bears were the only team in the top 10 in points to rank outside the top 10 in points per drive.  So while other teams may have benefited from good field position relative to the rest of the league, they were still able to score consistently on offense.  Even worse, they finished 18th in % of drives that ended in an offensive score.

Furthermore, the Bears were middle of the pack in every major offensive category.  They weren't even as good as the 2017 Jaguars on offense, who similarly scored a lot of points despite being around middle of the pack in scores per drive.  However, Jaguars were much better at running the ball.

I don't really see a strong argument for the Bears being a top 10 offense last year.  It seemed like their scoring down the stretch fell more in line with what we should expect from them this season.  After Week 10, they only scored more than their 26 point season average once (against the Giants, in OT, finishing with 27 points).  They were 25 and below every other game and held to under 20 in 3 times in that stretch.  In comparison, the Chargers only scored less than 20 one time the entire season.  Bears could prove me wrong this season, but to this point, I don't see how we can compare his Bears offense in any way to the Rams.  Nagy took the Bears from a bad offense to a middling of the pack but good on it's best day offense.  McVay took a bad offense to a great, damn near every week, offense.  And then had that offense come back and average 32 PPG last year.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 6:34 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

much easier to score when defense keeps the opponent out of the endzone, off the field, and your offense on the field more.

One other thing that a lot of people seem to overlook about Chicago, they were one of the healthiest teams in the league last season. I hardly see any key players missing significant time. I doubt the injury gods favor them as much this season.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

One other thing that a lot of people seem to overlook about Chicago, they were one of the healthiest teams in the league last season. I hardly see any key players missing significant time. I doubt the injury gods favor them as much this season.

Mack missed 2 games, played only a few minutes of another and played the NE game very hurt, E-Jax missed the final 3 games and the playoff game, Arob missed 2 games.  Played 2 more hurt.  Mitch missed 2 games.  Long missed 8 games.  Floyd played the first half of the year with a club.  Shaheen was on IR to start, played one game and got a concussion.  Anthony Miller played the whole season with a separated shoulder.  As you can see, the Bears suffered their share of injuries.  Also something to be said about the serious tilting to the other side under Fox.  

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Points can be deceptive too though.  Bears were 5th in average starting field position in 2018 as opposed to 25th in 2017.  

Bears ranked 13th in the league in average points per drive.  The 8 teams ahead of them in PPG and how they ranked in points per drive: Chiefs were 1st, Rams 3rd, Saints 2nd, Patriots 8th, Colts 6th, Steelers 9th, Seahawks 7th, Chargers 5th.  Bears were the only team in the top 10 in points to rank outside the top 10 in points per drive.  So while other teams may have benefited from good field position relative to the rest of the league, they were still able to score consistently on offense.  Even worse, they finished 18th in % of drives that ended in an offensive score.

Furthermore, the Bears were middle of the pack in every major offensive category.  They weren't even as good as the 2017 Jaguars on offense, who similarly scored a lot of points despite being around middle of the pack in scores per drive.  However, Jaguars were much better at running the ball.

I don't really see a strong argument for the Bears being a top 10 offense last year.  It seemed like their scoring down the stretch fell more in line with what we should expect from them this season.  After Week 10, they only scored more than their 26 point season average once (against the Giants, in OT, finishing with 27 points).  They were 25 and below every other game and held to under 20 in 3 times in that stretch.  In comparison, the Chargers only scored less than 20 one time the entire season.  Bears could prove me wrong this season, but to this point, I don't see how we can compare his Bears offense in any way to the Rams.  Nagy took the Bears from a bad offense to a middling of the pack but good on it's best day offense.  McVay took a bad offense to a great, damn near every week, offense.  And then had that offense come back and average 32 PPG last year.

After week 10 the offense went ultra conservative bc Mitch was coming back from the shoulder.  Nagy even admitted as much in his comments this year.

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Mack missed 2 games, played only a few minutes of another and played the NE game very hurt, E-Jax missed the final 3 games and the playoff game, Arob missed 2 games.  Played 2 more hurt.  Mitch missed 2 games.  Long missed 8 games.  Floyd played the first half of the year with a club.  Shaheen was on IR to start, played one game and got a concussion.  Anthony Miller played the whole season with a separated shoulder.  As you can see, the Bears suffered their share of injuries.  Also something to be said about the serious tilting to the other side under Fox.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-adjusted-games-lost-part-i

T1w3MkF.png

Bears were the 3rd healthiest team in the league last season. It's likely they have less luck next year.