Who's a better coach? Matt Nagy or Sean McVay

mdonnelly21

45 members have voted

1. 1. Better Coach

• Sean McVay
    • Matt Nagy

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Which if you read anything about what those players said when they came, you'd know Nagy was a big reason they signed with Chicago.

Every player says that stuff. Even if they didn't like Nagy and came just for the money, it's not like they would ever say so publicly.  Mike Daniels says he came to Detroit because Matt Patricia is a genius.  Trey Flowers said he came to Detroit because he loved playing for Matt Patricia. Who cares? It's player speak and ultimately doesn't mean much.

I'm sure they liked Nagy to some extent for sure, but they also got paid a ton to come to Chicago, which I imagine was the main driver.  $14M/year for a guy three years removed from the one good season in his career and coming off of a major injury?  $8M/year for a receiving TE with a career high of 327 yards?  Both top 7-10 contracts at their positions.  

20 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Every player says that stuff. Even if they didn't like Nagy and came just for the money, it's not like they would ever say so publicly.  Mike Daniels says he came to Detroit because Matt Patricia is a genius.  Trey Flowers said he came to Detroit because he loved playing for Matt Patricia. Who cares? It's player speak and ultimately doesn't mean much.

I'm sure they liked Nagy to some extent for sure, but they also got paid a ton to come to Chicago, which I imagine was the main driver.  $14M/year for a guy three years removed from the one good season in his career and coming off of a major injury?  $8M/year for a receiving TE with a career high of 327 yards?  Both top 7-10 contracts at their positions.  

I've been a Bears fan for 35+ years, I have seen players say they came bc of the history, the city, the players, etc.  There has been only 1 player I remember saying they came for the coach before (Jpep, and Lovie was at his door at midnight on signing day) the players universally said that they came for Nagy.  We didnt hear the usual answers.  Arob had an easy out, he could have said Adrian Amos helped convince him, but he didnt.  Burton could have said he felt the offense was a great fit but he didnt.  Instead they all went out of their way to talk about Nagy.  Gabriel said he knew some guys on the chiefs who spoke very highly of him.  Burton said something similar.  Arob said it was his #1 reason. But anyways, the Rams did the exact same thing when McVey took over so I'm not sure why Nagy is getting knocked for it and McVey isnt. 

Right now, I think you have to say McVay. I thought Nagy had a promising 1st year, but it needs to be built upon, or at least sustained. I give Nagy points for making the Bears O more effective despite only having talent at the RB position (one of whom inexplicably regressed under him). McVay is dealing from a loaded deck with an MVP caliber RB, much better WR corps, and a better QB. 

As a GB fan, I'm hoping Nagy's first year was a fluke. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

On 8/2/2019 at 7:02 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

Right now, I think you have to say McVay. I thought Nagy had a promising 1st year, but it needs to be built upon, or at least sustained. I give Nagy points for making the Bears O more effective despite only having talent at the RB position (one of whom inexplicably regressed under him). McVay is dealing from a loaded deck with an MVP caliber RB, much better WR corps, and a better QB. 

As a GB fan, I'm hoping Nagy's first year was a fluke. 

Allen Robinson is a talented WR. He's not a gamechanger, but he's certainly talented.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, Danger said:

Allen Robinson is a talented WR. He's not a gamechanger, but he's certainly talented.

Everyone looks at his 2015 line (80-1400-14) but it looks more and more like that's an aberration and his 2016 line (73-833-6) is more the norm. 

Which is to say that he's not awful, but he's probably a 2 or 3 on most teams. And possibly a 4 WR/5th in the pecking order behind Gurley on the Rams.