Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Steelers extend HC Mike Tomlin through 2021

Recommended Posts

Ben, Tomlin, and Colbert’s contracts line up again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, shows how little rooney cares about winning and the state of his team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-07-25 at 1:19 PM, muncher said:

wow, shows how little rooney cares about winning and the state of his team

if Tomlin misses the playoffs again, he won't be on the hotseat . It removes potential for distractions  but wait and see how his team is in 2019.  I expect a better team,  he can only shoulder some blame, then colbert, coaches and some players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not shocking.  Even though this regime has gotten stale, Rooney isnt going to pull the plug until its COMPLETELY evident this team isnt going anywhere under Tomlin/Colbert.   As disappointing as this team has been, especially last year, there were only a handful of plays that took us from being a top seed to out of the playoffs.

I dont have any real faith left in Tomlin/Colbert, but I knew they weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not shocking.  Even though this regime has gotten stale, Rooney isnt going to pull the plug until its COMPLETELY evident this team isnt going anywhere under Tomlin/Colbert.   As disappointing as this team has been, especially last year, there were only a handful of plays that took us from being a top seed to out of the playoffs.

I dont have any real faith left in Tomlin/Colbert, but I knew they weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

in 3 years or less it is really going to be depressing knowing tomlin wasted  10 prime years of a HOF qb with nothing but regular season record to show for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, muncher said:

in 3 years or less it is really going to be depressing knowing tomlin wasted  10 prime years of a HOF qb with nothing but regular season record to show for it.

 

Im not particularly a fan of Tomlin anymore, but this constant need for people to lay the blame on him while ignoring Ben's often lackluster play is pretty silly.    Ben is inconsistent as hell and has been part of the reason we havent had more team success.   Ben may be a HOF QB, but he isnt elite and never has been.     He has had numerous elite PERFORMANCES, but never a truly elite season, and he has been an average playoff QB for the most part.

Beyond that, as Ive stated ad nauseum....look at every other coach/HOF QB duo outside of Belichick/Brady....who has had notably more success than Tomlin/Ben?    Im not saying we havent underachieved....but you could make that argument for all of them.      Why hasnt Brees won more titles?  Why didnt Peyton Manning win more than two titles with all the talent he had around him and a "HOF" coach in Tony Dungy?     Why hasnt Rivers won any, despite having plenty of talent around him at times, especially early in his career?

Not making excuses for Tomlin....his shortcomings have absolutely played a part in this teams failures, but your incessant need to single him out is just ridiculous.    The team has failed in numerous areas, and Tomlin only has very little control over a number of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not particularly a fan of Tomlin anymore, but this constant need for people to lay the blame on him while ignoring Ben's often lackluster play is pretty silly.    Ben is inconsistent as hell and has been part of the reason we havent had more team success.   Ben may be a HOF QB, but he isnt elite and never has been.     He has had numerous elite PERFORMANCES, but never a truly elite season, and he has been an average playoff QB for the most part.

Beyond that, as Ive stated ad nauseum....look at every other coach/HOF QB duo outside of Belichick/Brady....who has had notably more success than Tomlin/Ben?    Im not saying we havent underachieved....but you could make that argument for all of them.      Why hasnt Brees won more titles?  Why didnt Peyton Manning win more than two titles with all the talent he had around him and a "HOF" coach in Tony Dungy?     Why hasnt Rivers won any, despite having plenty of talent around him at times, especially early in his career?

Not making excuses for Tomlin....his shortcomings have absolutely played a part in this teams failures, but your incessant need to single him out is just ridiculous.    The team has failed in numerous areas, and Tomlin only has very little control over a number of them.

im not sure any of those other teams you mentioned has had the amount of talent that tomlin has had

i dont recall any of those teams being predicted to go to the super bowl as often as the steelers have

im not necessarily taking super bowl either, just look at lack of playoff wins

without looking at those teams injury history, but i can only assume that the steelers have been as healthy or healthier than all of them

same goes for coach turnover

i would think our division is also weaker

oh, and i hate tomlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, muncher said:

im not sure any of those other teams you mentioned has had the amount of talent that tomlin has had

i dont recall any of those teams being predicted to go to the super bowl as often as the steelers have

im not necessarily taking super bowl either, just look at lack of playoff wins

without looking at those teams injury history, but i can only assume that the steelers have been as healthy or healthier than all of them

same goes for coach turnover

i would think our division is also weaker

oh, and i hate tomlin

ok so there is nuance into every other teams success or failure but not for a Tomlin lead team. got it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Big Snack said:

ok so there is nuance into every other teams success or failure but not for a Tomlin lead team. got it

if the nuance is that other teams have had a much tougher time than tomlins team have , then so be it.

not sure how that helps tomlins failures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont really have an issue with the extension. In the end the team controls the situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, muncher said:

if the nuance is that other teams have had a much tougher time than tomlins team have , then so be it.

not sure how that helps tomlins failures

Its not that other teams have had a much tougher time than Tomlin. Its that you fail to acknowledge that Tomlin has dealt with an equal amount of nuance as any other team in the league,. ALL teams have to deal with issues. some more than others from 1 season to the next but over the coarse of time that Tomlin has coached the team I would say it all equals out against the rest of the league. He is far from perfect and has  plenty of issues that he has never overcome, and im sure his time as our coach will come to its conclusion in the next few years(probably the same time as Ben and Colbert with the way the contracts lineup) but if you measure our team success from the time he arrived til now he is arguably only surpassed by the goat coach/qb combo the league has ever seen. Im not about to sit here and call him and this team a failure over his tenure because they didnt win more titles against the goat. That would be the same as saying that Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Jerry Sloan were failures for their careers because they failed to conquer Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson. To think otherwise is choosing ignorance.

Edited by Big Snack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Big Snack said:

Its not that other teams have had a much tougher time than Tomlin. Its that you fail to acknowledge that Tomlin has dealt with an equal amount of nuance as any other team in the league,. ALL teams have to deal with issues. some more than others from 1 season to the next but over the coarse of time that Tomlin has coached the team I would say it all equals out against the rest of the league. He is far from perfect and has  plenty of issues that he has never overcome, and im sure his time as our coach will come to its conclusion in the next few years(probably the same time as Ben and Colbert with the way the contracts lineup) but if you measure our team success from the time he arrived til now he is arguably only surpassed by the goat coach/qb combo the league has ever seen. Im not about to sit here and call him and this team a failure over his tenure because they didnt win more titles against the goat. That would be the same as saying that Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Jerry Sloan were failures for their careers because they failed to conquer Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson. To think otherwise is choosing ignorance.

if you want to look at regular season wins and 1 super bowl win(cowhers team too) and use that to say tomlin/steelers is better than every other teams except new england and say thats good enough, im not buying it.

im not happy that the steelers have won only 3 playoff games in 8 years. i dont care if other teams have won less. i dont believe those other teams had anywhere near the talent as the steelers have had or the easy division, no injuries, no coach turnover etc.

im also not saying the steelers should have more titles than new england but truth be told, we rarely even got to the point were new england could knock us out of the playoffs.

instead we get beat by tim tebow,  the ravens at home, bortles at home...............

the steelers have met post season expectations only twice in 8 years..............that is failure

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomlin sucks.  Ben has regressed.  He used to be elite, but not anymore.  Lost the best RB and WR in the NFL (good riddance, hopefully they both break their legs this year, or worse).  The D is not what it used to be.  With DirecTV not having CBS in this market this year, the games would also be blocked on NFL Sunday Ticket (the only reason I have DirecTV instead of Dish with their Hopper), so I cancelled it a few days ago for the first time in years.  I'm wondering if it will even be on tv in bars now.  Might be the first season I miss in almost 30 years if things go poorly with the tv.  I might not be missing much.  Not too impressed with any part of this team anymore.  Ownership, coaching, nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, I did not know that about Direct TV, does that mean most Steelers games will not be aired? Seems like Direct TV has been losing a lot of channel rights lately.

As for the rest there Viktor, I get that last year was extremely disappointing but I expect big things this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×