Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

On 7/27/2019 at 8:20 PM, Dcash4 said:

I just truly believe people are not remembering Switzer’s year correctly in 2018. Eight games with double digit catches, 3 of which never made it over 10 yards, another that went for less than 20. Only 1 game over 32 yards (the 32 yard game took 7 catches). Seven games averaging 5 yards or less yards per reception. 

His best production game was against the Broncos with 3 plays over 10 yards and 2 muffed punts.  

This all scream lock to anybody? 

He is trash. And he will be cut. 

On 7/26/2019 at 9:45 PM, bigben07MVP said:

Apparently JuJu was in the slot a ton on day 1. He’s such a tough matchup when he’s in the slot, I think we see him there a lot more this year. 

Just my guess but I think Washington balls out and wins one of the outside spots (WR2).

For 3 WR sets: Washington, JuJu, and Moncrief if Juju is in the slot but Switz on the field if JuJu is outside.

Hopefully Diontae Johnson can win the #4 spot as well as punt returns so we can let Rodgers go. I think it’s more likely they keep 6 wide receivers (add Rodgers) on the roster for at least the first half of the season so Rodgers play the role of WR4 in 4 WR sets until the rookie is ready.

JuJu

Washington

Moncrief/Switz

Rodgers 

D Johnson (inactive)

JuJu in the slot. 

Moncrief/Washington at split end. Depending on the flavor. Or formation. Route combinations. Etc. But that does give away precious information. So run a buncha hitches and an occasional stop and go with Moncrief. To not be AS predictable. It ain't rocket science.

Johnson at flanker. 

By midseason. TBH. It's still not enough. 

I don't  Agree at all with the notion that Switzer is  Trash. I'm not saying that he is some amazing player but he did not play poorly Last year.. While our return game was not amazing it was certainly more consistent. He also gained on average around 8 yd or so I believe every time he caught the ball and all of that was without having gone through an actual and training camp  With the Pittsburgh Steelers. I suspect he could be better this year and yes he is still gonna be power sith wide receiver but he is not trash.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Money said:

I liked Allen as a project a few years back given his size. But he's a cut player. The experiment is over. Time to move on. 

Hard to argue that point if he plays like that consistently.  One bad play at practice does not make or break you.   You are correct, that expectations were for him to step up and compete.  He won't make it if he continues to play like that. The effort and technique portions are what bother me more than him merely getting beat.

15 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I want to point out a common misconception about Training Camp.

There has been talk through different forums and social media about how certain players are constantly getting beat or not winning drills early in TC.

To your point that is media cannon fodder. We have seen this work both ways: There have been players who killed it at practice and in shorts, but did nothing come game day.  There are players who looked bad in drills, but played well in games.  There are also others who excelled in preseason and then reality hit in regular season.  I think the majority of us know this.  The thing that I look for is EFFORT.  Does that player practice and play hard?

Okay? What do you expect? You cannot just look at who won a drill. You've got to look at footwork, use of hands, body movements, whether they're getting themselves in the right positions. 

My point exactly as well.  My criticism of Allen was the technique and effort that he displayed, especially after getting beat from the snap. I get that you don't want to kill yourself or get hurt, but he is also trying to win a spot.  There is nothing else to measure a player by at this point, other than what they show at practice.  That will get you in the games.

You want a mix of results in TC. Just because the WRs are beating our DBs doesn't mean our DBs suck, maybe our WRs are that good. Just because our DBs are picking off passes doesn't mean our QBs suck, maybe our DBs are just that good. You see where I'm going with this?

I think that you have to realize that the results are somewhere in the middle.  It is one thing practicing against your own teammates and then going against others in a game or scrimmage.  QB's take chances at practice that they wouldn't or shouldn't in a game.  Players gamble more and some go 75% - 85% effort to get reps, but stay healthy.   No team gets crowned champion in July or August.  Most everyone looks good and has high hopes. 

You can apply that logic to every position. You have to look at individual performance and effort rather than how we match up against each other. 

Take the drill results with a grain of salt, try not to overreact. Preseason will be far more telling.

Agreed. Especially the effort part.  Effort is something that every individual is in control of.  Reps are how you get better and hone your craft/technique.  You will get beat in practice.  Better to get beat there than during a game.  Our defense could not stop teams at  some key and critical times.  It was the difference between 11-4-1 or 10-5-1 and not making the play-offs.  While you don't win the SB in training camp, I do believe that you do get better then/ Or at least you should. 

• Like 1

What do you guys think ends up happening with the corners?

Haden - Lock

Nelson - Lock

Hilton - Lock (assuming he doesn't have an awful preseason)

Sutton - Sounds like a lock to be the dime backer

Layne - Lock

Allen looks to be long gone. I don't really see any room for Burns. How often do we keep 6 corners?

I also think that Hilton will be our starting FS by the end of the year. I’m hoping he takes over and Davis slides to the #3 spot. Nelson drops into the slot, and Layne(or I suppose a much improved Burns) goes in opposite Haden outside. Our defense will be much better if Nelson is in the slot and one of our big, athletic, press man cover corners starts outside. Plus Hilton is a playmaker, so FS suits him. And before people freak out about his size, he’s the same size as Lamarcus Joyner. 

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I also think that Hilton will be our starting FS by the end of the year. I’m hoping he takes over and Davis slides to the #3 spot. Nelson drops into the slot, and Layne(or I suppose a much improved Burns) goes in opposite Haden outside. Our defense will be much better if Nelson is in the slot and one of our big, athletic, press man cover corners starts outside. Plus Hilton is a playmaker, so FS suits him. And before people freak out about his size, he’s the same size as Lamarcus Joyner. 

I wouldn't hate this but don't you feel like they would be experimenting with these kinda significant changes in training camp before switching everything up randomly mid-season? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I wouldn't hate this but don't you feel like they would be experimenting with these kinda significant changes in training camp before switching everything up randomly mid-season? 

I think they probably are. I read a Butler interview within the last couple of days and he said he thought Hilton would be getting some run at FS and Nelson would be working in the nickel. They've only had one padded practice so far. They'll implement it.