Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I’ll be honest, I could care less if Bush goes 0-100 on pass rushing 1 on 1 drills. That’s not why he is here. He could go sackless in his 5 year rookie deal and still be a tremendous success. 

Reports are saying he is doing a pretty good job getting to the football and getting hands on it in the passing game. I’m good there. Saw something where he stayed with Switz on a crosser. Those are the things to get excited about. 

Decent point and obviously blitzing isn't going to be his main focus (as I mentioned) but blitzing VW was always a part of the game plan. I would rather Bush be the one that does that and Baron cover but maybe it isn't going to turn out that way. If we traded up to get Bush and VW stays on the field I will be disappointed. 

31 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Decent point and obviously blitzing isn't going to be his main focus (as I mentioned) but blitzing VW was always a part of the game plan. I would rather Bush be the one that does that and Baron cover but maybe it isn't going to turn out that way. If we traded up to get Bush and VW stays on the field I will be disappointed. 

I don’t really want Bush blitzing (much). I want him flying around making plays on the ball. 

Our greatest weakness on defense was our inability to play in the middle of the field. I don’t see much point in having Bush and not utilizing that. Blitzing will be a part of his super athletic skill set, but I think that’s a minor thing.

Personally, I do think there is a time and a place for Vince Williams still. I think he and Barron ultimately split time next to Bush and ying and yang that LBer spot.  

The idea of Barron as a full time LB still scares me. But I do like what mix and match set ups we could come up with. 

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t really want Bush blitzing (much). I want him flying around making plays on the ball. 

Our greatest weakness on defense was our inability to play in the middle of the field. I don’t see much point in having Bush and not utilizing that. Blitzing will be a part of his super athletic skill set, but I think that’s a minor thing.

Personally, I do think there is a time and a place for Vince Williams still. I think he and Barron ultimately split time next to Bush and ying and yang that LBer spot.  

The idea of Barron as a full time LB still scares me. But I do like what mix and match set ups we could come up with. 

I don't disagree with any of that BUT I like the idea of having the threat of a ILB blitz without VW on the field. VW is about 10 years to late. He is a 2 down thumper which is equivalent to the Do Do bird in today's League.  Ideally, Bush will able to stuff the Run, Cover the Pass and Blitz effectively when called upon. That is asking a lot but isn't that why they traded up? To get a guy that can do all of that? I hope so. 

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I think his quickness and ability to close in on gaps may make him a very good run defender in our defense, but we will soon find out 

His weakness at Michigan was against the run.  He just sucked at it.  I can only hope they were using him incorrectly.

FWIW Bush had a 85.2 PFF grade against the run his last two seasons at Michigan. He’s an extremely technically sound tackler as well. When he hits someone, he stops them in their tracks and doesn’t allow forward momentum. Also, he’s a very high IQ player so even though he may struggle to get off blocks at times, he’s aware of his gap responsibilities and can use his instincts to avoid blockers and put himself in the right position. 

Obviously playing on Sundays is going to be a completely different animal though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I don't disagree with any of that BUT I like the idea of having the threat of a ILB blitz without VW on the field. VW is about 10 years to late. He is a 2 down thumper which is equivalent to the Do Do bird in today's League.  Ideally, Bush will able to stuff the Run, Cover the Pass and Blitz effectively when called upon. That is asking a lot but isn't that why they traded up? To get a guy that can do all of that? I hope so. 

Much like how you started your quote, I don’t really disagree with anything you say.  I agree Vince is probably a little late to the party, but I also think that it takes a really special talent to be a true 3 down stud in the NFL today — and there are not many of them. I like our setup of a sort of 3 man rotation. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

FWIW Bush had a 85.2 PFF grade against the run his last two seasons at Michigan. He’s an extremely technically sound tackler as well. When he hits someone, he stops them in their tracks and doesn’t allow forward momentum. Also, he’s a very high IQ player so even though he may struggle to get off blocks at times, he’s aware of his gap responsibilities and can use his instincts to avoid blockers and put himself in the right position. 

Obviously playing on Sundays is going to be a completely different animal though.

Film does not match the numbers.  He hits the wrong hole.  He is late.  He rarely makes the stop in the hole.

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Film does not match the numbers.  He hits the wrong hole.  He is late.  He rarely makes the stop in the hole.

I dont disagree with that but I think this is partly coaching and I do believe that he can improve via our coaching and with the guidance of Vince Williams in that area.

I read this article on Steelers Depot about six Steelers having the best camps of their careers.  There were a few surprises from this list that I wanted to comment on:

Big Dan McCullers - - I have admittedly been frustrated by Dan and the Steelers for repeatedly giving him opportunities.  I was ready to ship him off a few years ago.  Part of it has been that I had very high expectations of Big Dan and he hasn't lived up to them.  Admittedly, I may have made his ceiling a little higher than what he is capable of being. However, I at least thought that a player with his size, strength and ability to move (yes, he moves well for a guy that big) he would have been dominant in the run defense. And he would at least offer an occasional push and collapse of the pocket inside. His first few seasons, this just didn't happen very often. For this reason, I begged and pleaded for the Steelers to sign and pay a little more for Danny Shelton (who re-signed in New England). I thought he would have been a vicious selection to alternate and pair with Hargraves on early run downs.

When drafted, I envisioned Mt. McCullers being capable of developing into a solid NG along the lines of Joel Steed and Mighty Casey Hampton. I am not saying he would have been a pro bowler, but he would have been a powerful force in the middle.  NG's are not sexy, but they can be disruptive in defenses like the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots that employ powerful guys in the middle. Big Dan often got manhandled in the run game. Zone blocking teams would eat him up and running backs would make a mad dash past him. Decided difference in the run defense when he was out there.   Hargraves has grown and developed into one of the better defenders despite his lack of girth in our scheme. Big Dan has that and while I know he isn't the penetrating force that Hargraves is, he could just jam up the middle of the line and be immovable one on one.   I am happy to see him working well in camp, hopefully it translates from the practice field over to the game field. 

Tyler Matakevich - - I have been a fan of Dirty Red's since his days at Temple and was excited for him being drafted by the Steelers. He is a Steelers type of guy (blue collar, hard working and tough).  Unfortunately, the game is changing/evolving into more passing and specialized situations.  If he played during the 90's and early 2000', he may have made quite an impact.  I have said the same about Jon Bostic (who I think would have been pretty darn good pared with a healthy Shazier in our system. It is good to see Dirty red competing. I don't think he will ever see any significant time in the defense anymore, but hopefully he can continue to be a pro bowl caliber special teams player.

Cam Sutton - - Like Artie Burns, I have been ready to just move on.  Another player whom I thought would step up seems to have taken a step back in Brian Allen.  It is good to see Cam at least making plays and being around and near the ball and receivers even when he gets beat.  He seems to have stepped up at practice and we will have to see if this translates on the field with game reps.  If so, he is a pleasant surprise and may turn out to be what the team hoped when they drafted him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/five-steelers-having-the-best-camp-of-their-career/

• Like 1

On 2019-08-04 at 12:00 AM, Chieferific said:

Baron and Bush at ILB, VW is the overpriced reserve, similar to what Dupree could be if Adeyini breaks out.  VW doesn't have the range, simple as that, 10+ years late is a way to put it, he would have been more effective back in the 90's.  Facts of the NFL in 2019 is that the LB's need speed and coverage skills. 

17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Baron and Bush at ILB, VW is the overpriced reserve, similar to what Dupree could be if Adeyini breaks out.  VW doesn't have the range, simple as that, 10+ years late is a way to put it, he would have been more effective back in the 90's.  Facts of the NFL in 2019 is that the LB's need speed and coverage skills. 

As an OC, I'd be licking my chops with those 2 at ILB and Hargrave in the middle. That might equate to about 5 to 6 ypc up the middle.