Statistics

AlNFL19

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Stats are a tool, and just like any other tool, they are only as good as the person using them.  I think analytics has a place in football, but I dont think it can ever replace the eye test either.

I love the eye test and analytics, you need both of them. 

Before the draft last year data pointed to Baker and the eye test pointed to darnold imo

I hate Analytics!

I understand it can be used to get information, but just rely on that, you're going to lose a lot of games because of that.

The Analytics do not say how the player will react when there is adversity in a game, it does not say if the player has the character or not, if he is clutch or several other things that are important to win.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

😂 who is actually doing that?

You’re describing a situation that literally doesn’t happen.

I hope it does not happen in the NFL, but I know that early in the season in Baseball last year, Gabe Kapler had relied way too much on the analytics, to make his lineup and pitching changes, it was so bad that he was booing at his first home game of the Phillies!

5 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I hope it does not happen in the NFL, but I know that early in the season in Baseball last year, Gabe Kapler had relied way too much on the analytics, to make his lineup and pitching changes, it was so bad that he was booing at his first home game of the Phillies!

I mean, what are we discussing here?  Analytics as a useful tool in baseball?  That debate has long been settled.

What should he be using?  “Gut feeling”?  Why is that better than statistical data that would point to improved odds and outcomes?

And forgive me for not being stunned by Philly fans booing.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, what are we discussing here?  Analytics as a useful tool in baseball?  That debate has long been settled.

What should he be using?  “Gut feeling”?  Why is that better than statistical data that would point to improved odds and outcomes?

Sometimes you have to use your head and not on stats or things like that when it's time to make decisions.

And the booing for Gabe Kapler in Philadelphia was deserved at this time, even if it was only after 5 games.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What he's referencing is that Kapler hadn't managed before and forgot to allow a reliever time to warm up before pulling his starter. Which has nothing to do with analytics and everything to do with the fact that Kapler is a psychopathic weirdo.

22 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The Houston Astros use analytics in baseball, from scouting to development to in game decisions. The entire franchise is built on analytics...and they're the odds on favorite to win the WS this year, which would be their 2nd in three years. They have a lineup that is young, cheap and primed to win now, and a farm system that is overflowing with potential stars - stars that can develop here or used as trade assets to bring in key "win now" type players. 

From 2011 - 2013, the Astros averaged 100+ losses a season. Now, they're the best team in baseball with a model that's primed to keep them at the top for a very long time.

Analytics can transform a team if done right. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Houston Astros use analytics in baseball, from scouting to development to in game decisions. The entire franchise is built on analytics...and they're the odds on favorite to win the WS this year, which would be their 2nd in three years. They have a lineup that is young, cheap and primed to win now, and a farm system that is overflowing with potential stars - stars that can develop here or used as trade assets to bring in key "win now" type players. 

From 2011 - 2013, the Astros averaged 100+ losses a season. Now, they're the best team in baseball with a model that's primed to keep them at the top for a very long time.

They were among the first franchises to focus on spin rate, which lead them to getting Collin McHugh (who has a ridiculous CB spin rate, I think it's like 3500 RPMs or something) for virtually nothing. They've also targeted guys who they feel they can get improved spin rates out of - Verlander and Gerrit Cole have each seen their FB spin rate go up about 200 RPMs since they were traded. No one is really sure how they did that. Trevor Bauer thinks it's pine tar. But whatever it was, that revitalized Verlander's career and turned Cole from a solid front line starter to a monster.

Nowadays all 30 front offices except maybe the Mets are about where the Astros were 5 years ago in terms of analytics. Baseball has become pretty much maxed out on that front, with the only remaining market inefficiency being pitcher biomechanics to keep guys healthy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with that, but you have to be smart with that and use also your head when it's time for the decisions and not just on the analytics

27 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What he's referencing is that Kapler hadn't managed before and forgot to allow a reliever time to warm up before pulling his starter. Which has nothing to do with analytics and everything to do with the fact that Kapler is a psychopathic weirdo.

Oh wow...

Yeah, that ain’t analytics, that’s just stupidity.

• Like 1