Champ Bailey wasn’t contacted by Redskins until 3 days before enshrinement

turtle28

On 8/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, turtle28 said:

Nah, he hated the dysfunction of the organization. Dan firing Casserly who had just drafted Champ. Then, Dan firing Norv at halftime of the Cowboys game the year after they nearly made the NFCCG and when they had a winning record. Then, Dan scored Marty Schottenheimer but fired him after one year. Marty was fired for Spurrier who was unprepared to be a HC and didn't take it as seriously as he should have.

Champ was in DC for 5 years w/ 3 HCs and 2 GMs. 

Plus there's the ultimatum his wife gave him that he needed to leave DC or she was leaving bc he was having an affair w/ a woman in her area.

I vaguely remember the trade at the time.  It was mind boggling that the Redskins would give up a SRP on top of a shutdown CB for a RB.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I vaguely remember the trade at the time.  It was mind boggling that the Redskins would give up a SRP on top of a shutdown CB for a RB.

On top of that, it would be to install an explosive outside running back into a system where it was tough yards between the tackles.  Portis went from averaging 5.5 YPC his first two years with Denver, to averaging 3.8-4.3 with the Redskins.  Portis's career ended at 29 years old, and if he weren't put into the Coryell offense the way he was, I would say he had another 2-3 more seasons as a part-timer.  

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

On top of that, it would be to install an explosive outside running back into a system where it was tough yards between the tackles.  Portis went from averaging 5.5 YPC his first two years with Denver, to averaging 3.8-4.3 with the Redskins.  Portis's career ended at 29 years old, and if he weren't put into the Coryell offense the way he was, I would say he had another 2-3 more seasons as a part-timer.  

I blame Portis for that. For as much blame that's been going on for Bailey - instead of Snyder in this thread - Portis forced his way out of Denver and out of the ZBS system. I believe at the time Shanahan was the only HC/OC running the ZBS, but I could be wrong.

Either way, Portis forced himself out of a system where he was going to be running inside zone or outside zone his whole career for a mostly in between the tackles man blocking system. It was his fault, he took years off his own career.

I loved Portis, he gave this fan base more great memories than any other player this century but he was a know it all who always thought he knew better than anyone else and like RG3, he got away with it bc he was Snyder's top jock he was sniffing at the time.

Lastly, don't forget that Portis wasn't as in as good of shape most of his time in DC after 2005 bc that was allowed also. The man was allowed to walk on water by Snyder when other players weren't allowed to get away with anything.

Edited by turtle28

Honestly, why should we? He pushed the organization to trade him. He didn't want to be here. He was cheating on his wife and she basically told him either move somewhere to get a fresh start or lose half your money. And he represents one of the worst trades every made in football.

I'm honestly surprised anyone called him at all. He wasn't/shouldn't go into the HoF as a Redskin. He didn't want to be one.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Honestly, why should we? He pushed the organization to trade him. He didn't want to be here. He was cheating on his wife and she basically told him either move somewhere to get a fresh start or lose half your money. And he represents one of the worst trades every made in football.

I'm honestly surprised anyone called him at all. He wasn't/shouldn't go into the HoF as a Redskin. He didn't want to be one.

The reason you call him is to be a good owner/organization to actually try to be the bigger person for once and to have some good PR out there about the organization instead of the *hit show our PR has been the last 20 years which, took another hit last Thursday or Friday when this story came out bc Champ was asked about it.

I guess if your in your own bubble and only care about Redskins fans/whatever is going inside the building at Redskins park and not how this organization is viewed by everyone else around the league then, it doesn’t matter.

But, between the Trent medical news, other news with the medical staff and now this coming out on Hall of Fame weekend it’s just about bad, bad hit for Redskins PR. We actually look worse at PR than the Bengals, Browns, Bills and Raiders nowadays and who would have ever thought that when Jack Kent Cooke was still alive?

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The reason you call him is to be a good owner/organization to actually try to be the bigger person for once and to have some good PR out there about the organization instead of the *hit show our PR has been the last 20 years which, took another hit last Thursday or Friday when this story came out bc Champ was asked about it.

I guess if your in your own bubble and only care about Redskins fans/whatever is going inside the building at Redskins park and not how this organization is viewed by everyone else around the league then, it doesn’t matter.

But, between the Trent medical news, other news with the medical staff and now this coming out on Hall of Fame weekend it’s just about bad, bad hit for Redskins PR. We actually look worse at PR than the Bengals, Browns, Bills and Raiders nowadays and who would have ever thought that when Jack Kent Cooke was still alive?

No. Just don't call him. Your ex dumps you, you don't call him/her after hearing they're getting married to wish them well. You just cut them out and forget them.

All we did was give Bailey another opportunity to take a shot at the Redskins.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slateman said:

No. Just don't call him. Your ex dumps you, you don't call him/her after hearing they're getting married to wish them well. You just cut them out and forget them.

All we did was give Bailey another opportunity to take a shot at the Redskins.

That’s not an equal comparison. Of course you don’t call an ex, you don’t need them anymore and they’re not going to get recognition for doing anything like getting into the Hall of Fame for playing in your organization.

If a player you drafted 7th overall in 1999 and you developed into one of the best corners in NFL history just made it into the Hall of Fame to join the likes of Darrell Green, Champ’s mentor, you should acknowledge that so that your organization can get good PR and recognized for drafting him and developing his talent.

I guarantee you if Casserly was still our GM, he would have reached out to Champ right after he was voted into the 2019 Hall of Fame class and mended fences, but then again, Casserly had the brains to draft Champ unlike this current group.

We don't need Champ. He didn't want to be associated with us. He shouldn't go in to the HoF as a Skin. The Redskins didn't develop him, he developed himself.

If Casserly were still our GM, the team wouldn't be in the situation it's in now.

Of all the issues with this team, Champ Bailey not getting a call right after being inducted is not even worthy of note. Champ can kick rocks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

We don't need Champ. He didn't want to be associated with us. He shouldn't go in to the HoF as a Skin. The Redskins didn't develop him, he developed himself.

If Casserly were still our GM, the team wouldn't be in the situation it's in now.

Of all the issues with this team, Champ Bailey not getting a call right after being inducted is not even worthy of note. Champ can kick rocks.

I’d argue that the Redskins greatest CB of all time, Darrell Green helped Champ develop. He was a Redskins corner for 20 years so, I associate that with the Redskins developing him.

Yeah, if Casserly was our GM, the team would be better off AND... Champ would have played his entire career in DC bc I think Casserly would have locked him up or caused his bluff on him threatening to not play on the franchise tag.

But hey, take Dan & Vinny’s side... 🤣 

9 hours ago, Slateman said:

I'd argue that the Redskins did plenty of development on him, but he played the bulk of his career with Denver, but that's not worth discussing.  If Champ truly felt like the Redskins were a second home, he would've said to go in without a team, like Mike Mussina did for his HOF plaque.  He didn't, and it's whatever at this point. 

On 8/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, Vladimir L said:

He hated his time here he left talking smack

Still, reach out to the guy. He did spend 5 years here and was drafted here.

This should have been in "picnic master" Allen's wheel house.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:30 PM, turtle28 said:

Nah, he hated the dysfunction of the organization.

So do we all ... and yet here we are ...

On 8/2/2019 at 10:30 PM, turtle28 said:

[mentions a bunch of football stuff and then ...]

Plus there's the ultimatum his wife gave him that he needed to leave DC or she was leaving bc he was having an affair w/ a woman in her area.

Methinks the last part might have a bit more to do with his leaving. But his play here even with the turnover still meant it would have been worthwhile to at least call the guy.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:51 PM, Thaiphoon said:

You're not wrong at all here. We moved on from him because of him. And he bad mouthed us on the way out and afterward. So when I say I'm not surprised, I mean I'm not surprised we didn't reach out to him due to that. But I also still think we could've reached out earlier and been a bit more professional about it. Let him be the "you know what" in this situation and us smell like roses for once.

Being the "bigger man" and saying "congrats" would have at least been mildly classy ... oh wait, who am I talking about again?

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 11:31 PM, turtle28 said:

The sad part is that Snyder isn’t moving on from Brice! Man I pray that we give Kyle Smith the GM job before we lose him and Kevin O’Connell the HC job in a few years if his passing game/O looks good but Gruden still cant get us in the playoffs.

I don’t want to lose those two young  promising young minds in the organization.

If Gruden has a losing season, they should fire him and move to O’Connell. 

You say that like those guys aren't looking to run at the first chance they get to go ...