GDT 8/8/19 Preseason Week 1: Baltimore Ravens vs Jacksonville Jaguars

DreamKid

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

And yeah, Boykin was on another level over the rest of our receivers. It was apparent. Can’t see him not starting along the outside. He just has too much he can do. He didn’t make the plays when he was forcefed, but it didn’t look like he couldn’t make those catches. But he can operate at the short, intermediate, and deep levels of the offense. Plus his blocking was pretty good. He doesn’t seem overwhelmed by big moments, how do you take this guy off the field for a Seth Roberts or even a Chris Moore?

Should only get better from here too. You know Marquise, who's roommates with Boykin, has to be itching to prove himself right now too. Little Hayden Hurst syndrome there. Where even though the player has strong ability, they're sidelined for whatever reason and their 3rd Round counterpart steals all the shine.

• Like 1

Starting the Patrick Mekari for roster spot 2019 campaign

Biggest winner of the night, IMO.

Biggest loser (ironically) is Michael Pierce. He did not look like he belonged out there, while the rest of the D was shining. Even if he gets back in shape, the fact that this story is/has happened has cost him millions of dollars in a contract year.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

Worst part for Pierce is that with Daylon Mack on the team, we already have his replacement or could just shift Brandon Williams back to NT. What a horrible choice for him to get lazy at this point.

I'm happy Miles Boykin bounced back and had that kind of night. That 3rd down catch was some man-amongst-boys stuff.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the biggest loss last night was Chris Board. He didn't flash much and Kenny Young was everywhere and had the huge hit on Minshew.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

I am happy to see Bowser doing really well, Tim Williams also had a nice pressure and a really nice run contain.

I really really like what I see from Chuck Clark. If Jefferson keeps miss tackles like he did early in the game, Clark could push for more snaps on obvious run downs.

Averett has to learn to trust his technique and ability to turn more so he avoid unnecessary grabbing.

So nice to see Justin Tucker being happy about Vedviks success. He knows what Vedviks performance as an UDFA can do. Question is how long teams want to see Vedvik perform like he did before they try to get him

The sack by Kenny Young showed his speed, but was also an oline mistake. Nice to see we have that aspect of rushing the passer on the roster.

Really nice delayed blitz afterwards where 31 and Clark does a good job at providing pressure but Canady makes a bad read and goes for the flat late

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danand said:

I am happy to see Bowser doing really well, Tim Williams also had a nice pressure and a really nice run contain.

I thought they both looked more comfortable, confident, and just flat out better- as they should in year 3. That was a great stack & shed by Tim Williams, and it's exactly what the organization wants to see. I even noticed Bowser performing better on Special Teams, he had a key block on one of our returns. 

As a unit, our guys at EDGE did nothing to disappoint. Judon was Judon. Tyus & Tim had their traditional preseason pressures and sacks. Ferg had a pressure, generated some good push inside and out, and nabbed a TFL. And Shane Ray had his moments as well, I really liked an inside counter he hit late in the game.

35 minutes ago, Danand said:

I really really like what I see from Chuck Clark.

Loved everything from Clark and Elliot last night. Fast, physical, and reliable. You could tell DeShon was itching to play again in a real game, he was like a missile out there.

Marquise Brown could take a ball like this to the house. I expect to see us actually take a modern approach this season. Using pre snap motion to get him open and in space-quickly. Can't wait to see him debut.

Chris Moore was great last night. 

Harbaugh was on edge about criticism of us is in the preseason at his presser last night. The media doesn't usually comment on it, so I'm guessing some inter league chatter got back to him. FOs and coaches whining probably. John labeled them haters, and doubled down on the comment multiple times.

What are we supposed to do? Hire lesser/bad coaches, and perform worse in the draft/at scouting? As Harbaugh said, we aren't game planning or playing our 1s anymore than other teams. Wink kept it very vanilla. We aren't acting in bad faith, and what would we have to gain by doing so? 

We have great coaching, and recently- we've acquired an abnormal amount of talented defensive depth. Even more than usual. It's resulted in an impressive streak of preseason play, but it isn't indicative of some nefarious intent on our part.