Kicker saga continues, Bears cut all - only Piniero remains

malagabears

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He still left door open that they might not keep him.  Press kept pressing him on it.  I would be shocked if they didn't though.  

I think door was open because he can't just unilaterally make that call at a post game press conference.  It's Pace's call with advice from Nagy or they at least have to discuss it. However they do cuts.

I agree. The things he has been saying this week about wanting to see it be a great story including last night suggest strongly that he’s going to continue to give Pineiro every chance to succeed. Short of some super qualified vet becoming available he’s gonna get a shot. And he should get a shot. He’s earned that with his play. 

This whole thing is just such a mountain out of a mole hill to me though. The difference between 2018 Parkey’s actual performance on FG (23/30) and him making 90% of his FG was exactly one more conversion every 4 games. To the 2018 league average kicker FG conversion rate of about 85% it’s not even 3 more conversions over the course of the season. It’s significant, but people treat it like it’s the difference between Joe Montana and Uncle Rico at QB. When those misses happen is why people are crapping the bed, and we can’t fully test Pineiro on that until those situations arise in real games anyway. With that said, the preseason games are the closest thing to that we can simulate since he’s been kicking for his job all preseason, and he’s 8/9 on FG. I’d say that’s pretty damn solid. 

Remember:

Robbie Gould was 77.8% his rookie year
Stephen Gostkowski was 76.9% his rookie year
Will Lutz was 82.4% his rookie year

Those three kickers are top 4 ALL TIME in FG accuracy in NFL history.

Side-note: Adam Vinatieri was 77.1% his rookie year

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, G08 said:

Remember:

Robbie Gould was 77.8% his rookie year
Stephen Gostkowski was 76.9% his rookie year
Will Lutz was 82.4% his rookie year

Those three kickers are top 4 ALL TIME in FG accuracy in NFL history.

Side-note: Adam Vinatieri was 77.1% his rookie year

Stop trying to apply logic to squelch people’s hysteria! 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Stop trying to apply logic to squelch people’s hysteria! 

He'll be fine. Just has to do better in Soldier Field. It's hard to kick there but especially on a playoff run every point counts. I'm sure once he makes a big kick in the regular season everything will be on the up and up from there. 

10 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

He'll be fine. Just has to do better in Soldier Field. It's hard to kick there but especially on a playoff run every point counts. I'm sure once he makes a big kick in the regular season everything will be on the up and up from there. 

Honestly I was really hoping last night’s game would come down to him making a GW FG for that exact reason. 

I read that he was seen out on the field after the game last night checking angles and wind and looking at kick flight lines and what not. THAT is the kind of stuff that has me encouraged. He clearly gets that Soldier Field is a difficult place to kick and he’s putting on all the work to figure it out that you’d expect. He has a ton of leg talent and seems to have the right make up for the gig. From there it’s just opportunity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree. The things he has been saying this week about wanting to see it be a great story including last night suggest strongly that he’s going to continue to give Pineiro every chance to succeed. Short of some super qualified vet becoming available he’s gonna get a shot. And he should get a shot. He’s earned that with his play. 

This whole thing is just such a mountain out of a mole hill to me though. The difference between 2018 Parkey’s actual performance on FG (23/30) and him making 90% of his FG was exactly one more conversion every 4 games. To the 2018 league average kicker FG conversion rate of about 85% it’s not even 3 more conversions over the course of the season. It’s significant, but people treat it like it’s the difference between Joe Montana and Uncle Rico at QB. When those misses happen is why people are crapping the bed, and we can’t fully test Pineiro on that until those situations arise in real games anyway. With that said, the preseason games are the closest thing to that we can simulate since he’s been kicking for his job all preseason, and he’s 8/9 on FG. I’d say that’s pretty damn solid. 

I think it would be really helpful if he practiced at Soldier Field.

Those winds can be brutal and you need reps with high wind to learn how much to compensate.  Sight lines are also important.

We said this last year with Parkey when we found out he never practiced there (before he started practicing there).  Insane. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think it would be really helpful if he practiced at Soldier Field.

Those winds can be brutal and you need reps with high wind to learn how much to compensate.  Sight lines are also important.

We said this last year with Parkey when we found out he never practiced there (before he started practicing there).  Insane. 

He said he wants to. Mentioned they wanted to get down there this past Tuesday but it didn't work out.

I dunno... I'm a sucker for raw talent with a desire to work hard to be great. Pulling for this kid!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Schefter called him one of the top FA options for teams looking. But when he was here it was “Do they have an NFL kicker on the roster?” 

😞😒😖🤦‍♂️

He's another Bears hater and a huge rumor monger.

At this point I don't know what more Piniero could do to sew up the job.  He's been good enough to allow me to feel anyone else we bring in off waivers could only be worse and less practiced with Scales and O'Donnell.  How's Minny feeling about now with Vedvik?

IMNSHO it's time to stop f'ing around with it, give the guy the job, and let him kick to keep it or lose it.

It's not like most of those same PKs' being cut won't still be on the street a month or two from now so just get on with it dammit.

• Like 1