Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Over a banged-up Christian, a roster-fluff guy like Catalina, and a waste-of-talent like Flowers? It's not like he's got a difficult path to walk.

Agreed. Penn wasn't that good last year in Oak. While he's an upgrade over the other options at LT w/o Trent there, he nothing more than a serviceable placeholder. I don't think people should act like signing Penn solves out problem at LT, LT is still a problem w/o Trent out there.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Thai is going to set up the Adopt a Skin this year and set it for 3 am start time xD

Well, at least the baby should be sleeping through the night now. So he'll be trying to get shut eye.

He should know exactly what I'm going to do. :D:D:D

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I'm saying at this point it's still anyone’s guess bc Trent hasn't spoken nor reported. 

And that's why I don't buy the "I'll never play for the team again" as utmost truth. It's a negotiating tactic to pressure the front office.

It has plausible deniability if he comes back, but can be "you were told" if he goes somewhere else.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think that's a bit of a overreaction to just a 1 on 1 drill. Now, if that was happening over and over every time they lined up its be one thing but I doubt that's the case. Those of us who aren't at camp only see the highlights and lowlights of plays, we don't see everyone’s plays. I used to get worked up about a training camp twitter clip from someone but I really don't anymore but they don't mean anything.

What's most important to me on that drill is that Haskins threw a perfect ball. 

Waitwaitwait ... we're supposed to judge 1 on 1 drills sensibly?! When did that rule pass?! :D:D:D

(training camp is one collection of overreactions in every direction)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Agreed. Penn wasn't that good last year in Oak. While he's an upgrade over the other options at LT w/o Trent there, he nothing more than a serviceable placeholder. I don't think people should act like signing Penn solves out problem at LT, LT is still a problem w/o Trent out there.

He was also injured last year.

Am I saying that the line with Donald Penn will be as good as it could be with Trent Williams? No.
Am I saying that the line would not be a complete laughing stock and potentially adequate with Donald Penn? Yes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4209 said:

Guys watch this video. Jonathon Allen next to (91) gets under the pads of the lt guard and it is over. 

Jon Allen is our best DL and arguably the best player on the team, it's no surprise to me that he dominates opposing OL, he's been doing it since he got in the league and will only get better at it over the next few years as he gets even stronger.  

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

WHAT IS THIS LIKE!?!?!?!?!

Patience, my friend. The good news is that it will happen soon.

The bad news is that then come the terrible twos.

The worse news is that no one tells you it goes through the threes as well.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

He was also injured last year.

Am I saying that the line with Donald Penn will be as good as it could be with Trent Williams? No.
Am I saying that the line would not be a complete laughing stock and potentially adequate with Donald Penn? Yes.

I agree with that. I wasn't really disagreeing with you. I've just heard a lot of people on talk radio and twitter act like signing Penn solves our problem at LT and while he's certainly an upgrade over Christian and Flowers, it isn't getting us to where we were with Trent.

17 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

While you can’t see Haskins it took over 5 seconds for him to throw? That might work in college at Ohio State, but not with the big boys

hes a rookie and has tools, let’s see how he develops

1. It's a drill. Haskins knows he has time to drop back, set up and throw bc there is no pass rush on these one on one drills. He’s obviously taking his time and not going at full speed through the entire play.

2. It wasn't 5 seconds until he threw the ball. At most it was 4 and I’d argue it was closer to 3. And that's with him going half speed as he dropped back.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with that. I wasn't really disagreeing with you. I've just heard a lot of people on talk radio and twitter act like signing Penn solves our problem at LT and while he's certainly an upgrade over Christian and Flowers, it isn't getting us to where we were with Trent.

But at least it's not the unmitigated disaster that Flowers anchoring the line would be.

Yes, I'm looking for the silver lining in the hurricane of mismanagement that Brice has wrought.

• Like 1