Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

On 7/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, 4209 said:

Definitely a good block by Martin, but a surprisingly low motor reaction from Kerrigan. Flowers was just walking along side him, but didn't have his hands on Ryan. Could have easily slipped in to fill that hole.

17 hours ago, 4209 said:

I have been watching Haskins guys. He is having his up and downs but just like most rookies consistency is an issue. But this pass is on the money. He has made some other throws in which displayed his arm strength. nice pass here.

Maybe it's me, but I feel like that pass just floated out of his hand. Would have liked to see more zip there. Against the 1s, that could have/should have been intercepted.

17 hours ago, 4209 said:

Good one on one drills here https://t.co/X26HSwSaoD

From the same thread, less happy:

"better?"
Withstands Ryan Anderson - no great shakes there
Gets bull rushed by UDFA BJ Blunt - yeep
Looks like Montez Sweat bulls him with just his left hand - [*stereotypical British disapproving accent*] good lord
Ryan Anderson again (I think) - misses the target, loses his feet.

So, he's good enough to stop the worst OLB on the roster. Fan-freakin-tastic.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They had Ty Nsekhe since 2015. So, technically, they had addressed the back up to Trent Williams. Then, when they figured they wouldn’t be able to re-sign Nsekhe this offseason, they thought ahead last draft and drafted Christian.

Nsehke was older than Trent. So no, that's not addressing the situation. He was always an "oh no, we need a starter now because Trent went down" plan.

IMO they did plan ahead. Sadly, Christian got hurt towards the end of last year too. Now, perhaps they should have signed a different OL instead of Flowers, that I can agree with. Other than that though, I think the team did pretty well with planning as far as back ups for Trent go since 2015.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about drafting depth/backups. I was talking about drafting a guy who would replace Trent.

When you have a pro bowl LT and other other positions to improve, you obviously need to address those other positions. 

Correct. Not saying you shouldn't.

If they had taken another LT high in 2017 or 18, they wouldn’t have Jon Allen or Payne, so I really can’t be too upset with what they’ve done at the position.

How about 2016? Or the 2nd or 3rd rounds in 2017 or 2018? Anyone you'd care to trade for a quality LT right now?

This Trent Williams holdout was unpredictable and caught everyone by surprise, not even his closest friends on the team like Peterson and others knew what was up.

Yes. While the holdout was unpredictable to some degree, the need to have his replacement wasn't. That's my point. You don't wait until the roof caves in to start thinking about replacing it.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

From the same thread, less happy:

"better?"
Withstands Ryan Anderson - no great shakes there
Gets bull rushed by UDFA BJ Blunt - yeep
Looks like Montez Sweat bulls him with just his left hand - [*stereotypical British disapproving accent*] good lord
Ryan Anderson again (I think) - misses the target, loses his feet.

So, he's good enough to stop the worst OLB on the roster. Fan-freakin-tastic.

So...Anderson can't get by Flowers? Great. So we suck at two positions?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

My fear is that JLC got his information from Trent’s agent. Of course, Trent’s agent could be using this stance as a negotiating ploy or there could be truth to it. There’s no way to prove it one way or the other, it’s up to whatever anyone wants to believe.

Of course the Redskins are going to say it’s “incorrect,” even if it’s true, there is really no other way for the Redskins to react other than to say that LJC’s report is false.

Completely agree. Especially the bolded. They really only have one option here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Trent gets Bruce fired, I’m counting it as our fourth Lombardi. Don’t @ me on it....</p>&mdash; Steve Czaban (@czabe) <a href="https://twitter.com/czabe/status/1155607863563292673?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So...Anderson can't get by Flowers? Great. So we suck at two positions?

Flowers has always struggled against speed rushers more-so than power rushers, which is why Preston never really dominated against him either when we played the Giants.

• Like 1