Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Of course I would be. Which is why it would take more money to sign there. But Trent is already signed and is currently under contract. He already knew about the staff when he signed the contract to begin with. So as we've agreed here, it's not about the medical staff but him getting one last payday

I wouldn't want that as something players have to be concerned about is all I'm saying. Injuries are gonna happen. Like seriously they need to do something about their Medical Staff.

Also as you just pointed out, please don't get mad at players who do sign here for the money knowing the risk their taking with their health but are willing to risk it for extra cash. The Redskins continue to put themselves in a disadvantage during negotiations IMO with this being known about their organization. 

21 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Short term thinking sinks franchises. You shouldn't mortgage the future to try to win one SB this year. Because as you said

So mortgaging the future of the team to try to win a SB one year could end up blowing up in our faces because we could have tons of injuries, etc... and end up 5-11. And then we've got an overpaid 34 year old tackle in a few years whose skills are in decline and  is still on the team. Meanwhile the guy we could've drafted in the 2nd round would only be in his 4th year at that point and contributing for another 6 or 7 years.

We acknowledge the team isn't winning the SB or a perennial playoff contender. So then the smart move is to trade him if he keeps demanding more new money.

How am I mortgaging my future? My future is basically in place. QB Haksins, RB Guice, RT Moses, RG Schreff, C Chase, DE The Greek Freak, DE, Allen, DT Payne, SS Collins. All players who can play at a high level for the next 4-5 years IMO.

I need a LG, WR, MLB, FS, and CB. I like the depth at CB and hopefully Alexander and Moreland can erase the need at CB soon. 

I said I would trade Williams for a 2nd round pick if it balled down to it! 

Edited by Skins212689

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

1) Give him no NEW money. Instead we can guarantee the money we already have allocated to him in salary (would have to take a look at the amounts in 2019 and 2020 but we can at least do 2019. This allows him to have that payday he's looking for even if something were to happen to him physically and he can't play after 2020. But this also keeps us from laying out any new money to him.

This might be one of the few times that restructuring his contract (i.e. converting salary into a "new" signing bonus) might make sense. It would give Washington some cap relief right now, it would convert non-guaranteed money into guaranteed money for Trent (protecting him), but it wouldn't give him any new money.

Whether he would agree to that, I don't know.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Like seriously they need to do something about their Medical Staff.

I don't think any of us dispute that. @Thaiphoon in particular has been calling for their mass canning the past couple of years.

The problem is that they cannot do it right now. It takes time to hire people, and making a serious shake up like that at the time that you are most likely going to need that staff is risky for the entire team.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I wouldn't want that as something players have to be concerned about is all I'm saying. Injuries are gonna happen. Like seriously they need to do something about their Medical Staff.

Also as you just pointed out, please don't get mad at players who do sign here for the money knowing the risk their taking with their health but are willing to risk it for extra cash. The Redskins continue to put themselves in a disadvantage during negotiations IMO with this being known about their organization. 

Again, I agree. I WANT this medical staff gone, yesterday. I want to take it and make it into a selling point. And yes, I want to take care of the players who are putting their bodies on the line.

9 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

How am I mortgaging my future? My future is basically in place. QB Haksins, RB Guice, RT Moses, RG Schreff, C Chase, DE The Greek Freak, DE, Allen, DT Payne, SS Collins. All players who can play at a high level for the next 4-5 years IMO.

I need a LG, WR, MLB, FS, and CB. I like the depth at CB and hopefully Alexander and Moreland can erase the need at CB soon. 

I said I would trade Williams for a 2nd round pick if it balled down to it! 

I meant by giving him a new 5 year mega contract. I don't want to do that.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't think any of us dispute that. @Thaiphoon in particular has been calling for their mass canning the past couple of years.

The problem is that they cannot do it right now. It takes time to hire people, and making a serious shake up like that at the time that you are most likely going to need that staff is risky for the entire team.

Sounds like excuses to me. As said they been knew about this problem and year after year continue to do nothing about it. So they will get what they get as a result. 

40 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder are too arrogant to admit the medical staff is a joke.

20 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Sounds like excuses to me. As said they been knew about this problem and year after year continue to do nothing about it. So they will get what they get as a result. 

Yes

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder are too arrogant to admit the medical staff is a joke.

And this too.

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

Riskier than having all your players turn on you?  Fire them all, make a big spectacle of it.  Tell the players they are the priority and bring in a whole new staff.  Tell them there will be some bumps in the transition but they want to get it right for player safety.  The players and fans would love it.  But, they’d have to admit the staff they previously hired sucks which they will never do.  

• Like 1

So with all or most agreeing that the medical Staff, Owner, and GM are jokes don't get mad at player's for doing what they need to do to secure their $$$ while working for these INCOMPETENT BOSSES. Again I never said give Williams a extension, but I would give him more $$$ up front within his current deal to keep him here. If he doesn't agree to that, Yes he would be traded. 

Some say he used the Medical Staff as a way out and maybe he did, but guess what Had they employeed a better Medical Staff Trent would have never been able to even use them as a excuse for his holdout. It WOULD be clear it's just about Money. 

47 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

This might be correct, but at this point it is pure speculation.  What exactly did the medical staff do wrong?  No one knows.  

Maybe we don't have a sports science program like other teams, but we are also the only team who has Dr. Andrews on staff and at games.  This is the guy a large percentage of players on all teams go to to get surgery.  Surely we aren't doing everything right, but neither do I think we are do everything wrong.  

I am not going to scapegoat the medical department for injuries.  You think it is there fault Guice tore his ACL?  Is it their fault Alex Smith or Colt McCoy broke their legs?  Reubon Foster's ACL their fault?      

8 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So with all or most agreeing that the medical Staff, Owner, and GM are jokes don't get mad at player's for doing what they need to do to secure their $$$ while working for these INCOMPETENT BOSSES. Again I never said give Williams a extension, but I would give him more $$$ up front within his current deal to keep him here. If he doesn't agree to that, Yes he would be traded. 

Some say he used the Medical Staff as a way out and maybe he did, but guess what Had they employeed a better Medical Staff Trent would have never been able to even use them as a excuse for his holdout. It WOULD be clear it's just about Money. 

Who’s saying they are mad at Trent Williams?  I actually think trading Trent now while he still has good value is a good football move that could help the team long term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

This might be correct, but at this point it is pure speculation.  What exactly did the medical staff do wrong?  No one knows.  

Maybe we don't have a sports science program like other teams, but we are also the only team who has Dr. Andrews on staff and at games.  This is the guy a large percentage of players on all teams go to to get surgery.  Surely we aren't doing everything right, but neither do I think we are do everything wrong.  

I am not going to scapegoat the medical department for injuries.  You think it is there fault Guice tore his ACL?  Is it their fault Alex Smith or Colt McCoy broke their legs?  Reubon Foster's ACL their fault?      

Trent knows and this is why he said he doesn't want to play here again. All the injuries to our players compared to other teams I wouldn't say is a coincidence. Dr. Andrews is pretty old. I know I would be a little cautious when getting surgey or a Opinion from a doctor that old espeically with all the new technology these days. Whose to say he's caught up on those things? If I where the Owner I liked to be sure my treatment staff is one of the best in the business. Cleary from reports the Skins isn't.