Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Riskier than having all your players turn on you?  Fire them all, make a big spectacle of it.  Tell the players they are the priority and bring in a whole new staff.  Tell them there will be some bumps in the transition but they want to get it right for player safety.  The players and fans would love it.  But, they’d have to admit the staff they previously hired sucks which they will never do.  

Yes, because it's not clear that the players will turn on the team if the staff isn't fired. It is clear that they won't have access to training staff for the regular strains of playing a physically intense sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Look, I want them gone too. And they COULD should have done this as soon as the offseason ended. But doing it now on the eve of training camp just ain't gonna happen now. Like it or not, they are stuck with this staff (the majority of them at least) this season.

FTFY

6 minutes ago, 4209 said:
  • Those are the positive standouts. Here come the negative ones. At a certain point, the Ereck-Flowers-at-left-tackle updates will stop, because it'll be too redundant to keep bringing up his struggles. Also, as some have pointed out, the situation isn't exactly fair to Flowers, seeing as the organization brought him in with the intention of lining him up at guard. But as of now, he's at tackle, and as of now, it's flat-out bad. Ryan Anderson blew by him in 1-on-1, and it's not like Anderson is a speed guy. During team drills, meanwhile, Cassanova McKinzy just dusted him. In non-Flowers news, Martin was uneven at left guard, getting pushed around on a few occasions in various practice formats. 

Sweet jeebus ...

• Geron Christian and Chase Roullier were again not participating. On Thursday, the Redskins said, "We are gradually working them in after coming back from offseason surgeries." Their returns will be welcome ones whenever they happen, especially Christian's.

Yes, that would be very nice.

EDIT: Oof ...

Ready for a sweet Deshazor Everett story? Excellent, here you go. The last play of the day ended in disappointing fashion, as Case Keenum lofted a gorgeous ball down the middle for Jehu Chesson, but Chesson couldn't secure the sliding catch. It wasn't a layup, sure, but it was one a quality NFL receiver makes. After, Everett could be heard telling someone he was worried when he originally saw the ball in the air, but after realizing that Chesson was the intended target, he relaxed. That was the polite retelling of it. The unedited version was even better, but NBCSportsWashington.com needs another practice report posted tomorrow, so let's not get anyone fired.

Not that surprising, but still, oof.

Edited by Woz

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

This might be correct, but at this point it is pure speculation.  What exactly did the medical staff do wrong?  No one knows.  

Maybe we don't have a sports science program like other teams, but we are also the only team who has Dr. Andrews on staff and at games.  This is the guy a large percentage of players on all teams go to to get surgery.  Surely we aren't doing everything right, but neither do I think we are do everything wrong.  

I am not going to scapegoat the medical department for injuries.  You think it is there fault Guice tore his ACL?  Is it their fault Alex Smith or Colt McCoy broke their legs?  Reubon Foster's ACL their fault?      

Having James Andrews as the sideline doctor is completely different than the S/C department, and whatever staff physicians are employed by the team.  

You mention the fluke injuries, but there are many others that are not fluke injuries that happen because some people don't know what they are doing.  Or, they aren't holding the players accountable for following the programs put into place.  

However, the S/C department plays a lot into this, a lot of it is on them.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Trent knows and this is why he said he doesn't want to play here again. All the injuries to our players compared to other teams I wouldn't say is a coincidence. Dr. Andrews is pretty old. I know I would be a little cautious when getting surgey or a Opinion from a doctor that old espeically with all the new technology these days. Whose to say he's caught up on those things? If I where the Owner I liked to be sure my treatment staff is one of the best in the business. Cleary from reports the Skins isn't. 

Dr Andrews is the sideline doctor, he's not on their actual medical staff.  Completely different things.  

And Andrews is still one of the best in the business.  He released an app for parents to use to track how much their kids throw a baseball and how much they are at risk for Tommy John surgery.  He had parents coming to him asking for pre-emptive surgery, like it was a vaccine for elbow damage.  He treats players across the major sports leagues for a variety of issues, including ACL's and UCL's.  In addition to the Redskins, he's affiliated with Alabama, Auburn and the Tampa Bay Rays, but does surgeries for anyone who visits his practice.  

To criticize the guy because he's old.........I don't know what else to say.  

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

He is under contract.  A very expensive contract.  He has a right to fulfill his contract.  That is all.  We owe him nothing else.  I think this team has already showed loyalty to him.  We stuck with him and made him the highest paid LT after his multiple drug suspensions. 

This team screws up a lot of things.  We don't need to come up with conspiracy theories on top of their usual issues.  As in most things, the simplest likelihood is usually the actual one.  That likelihood is that this is just a silly contract dispute and a player disgruntled over small potatoes but making a mountain out of a mole hill and leveraging it for money.  

*Not just drug suspensions, suspensions for pot.  

I mean, argue the pot thing all day long, I get it.  But someone's really, really stupid to put multi-millions of dollars on the line because they can't stop smoking the reefer.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

Old man Vernon Davis beats Landon Collins in training camp.  

This is going to be a long six year contract.