Redskins vs Bengals Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 2 (8/15/19)

MKnight82

49 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We have to play the eagles again at the end of the season, do you sit Haskins for that game?  And again we play the cowboys at the end of the season when cooper and zeke situations are likely resolved and their defense is good.  Should we plan on sitting him out then?  Also, the giants will finally have healthy receivers by the end of the season and on paper , should we plan to sit him then?

If he is starting by week six, no. The whole point of easing him into the NFL is to ... well ... ease him in. By the time we see the rivals again, he'd have half a season's experience under his belt. As such, he'd be playing against them. This is just for the start of his career.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

So instead, you go in hamstringing yourself by cutting the playbook in half?  And "run the ball 30 times a game" is easier said than done.  What happens when we are down 0-7, 0-14, 3-17?  You still think we'll be on pace to run the ball 30 times a game when we have a negative game script?  What do you think the other defenses will do when they know Haskins has to pass?

Haskins' biggest issues are his mechanics and footwork, especially under pressure.  You want him to develop bad habits in the pros going up against some of the best defenses in the league right off the bat?  Because I can tell you for a fact, he will do what's natural for him footwork/mechanics-wise when faced with that pressure instead of doing what the coaches have been trying to drill him on all summer.  As a result, we could easily ruin any chance we have at long-term prosperity at the position.

So I guess watching from the sidelines is going to improve his footwork and mechanics?

Sorry, I know he has issues with that right now but that’s something that he can improve while he’s playing live game reps and if he’s the starter he’ll be getting starting reps in practice.

If we keep Haskins as the back up behind Case, he’s not going to get the most reps in practice to improve his footwork and mechanics. 

I’d Rather see him learn on the fly than to act scared and it seems to me Gruden,some fans/ex-players are acting scared when it comes to deciding to not play Haskins bc we are afraid that he will fail? Or, won’t develop but the best way to develop is to play live games against the best. That’s been proven!  

Edited by turtle28