Redskins vs Bengals Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 2 (8/15/19)

MKnight82

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

system that is going to survive lone after Belichick is finished as head coach

I agree with everything you said ... except this. I don't think it survives. I think Belichick is the exception that proves the rule that the coach and the GM should be two separate people.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Do it Week 5 and then keep him in for the next 11 games and then have him start all 16 in year 2.

Week 6. Unless you really think Haskins first start should be against the Patriots?

30 minutes ago, Danger said:

Summarize Haskins' performance for me. I box score scouted.

He hit a beautiful 46 yard TD pass with a man in his face. As @Thaiphoon said, that was without stepping up into the throw (again because he was getting hit), but it was on target and in stride for Davis's score. He threw a few passes high (that seems to be his thing ... again footwork is probably an issue), but he also was able to hard count an offsides call and when given more than a second or two seemed more comfortable back there.

My take on the competition is that you trot out Keenum for the first five weeks, let him get slaughtered by that opening schedule, and then have Haskins take over once the season is effectively over (but the schedule eases up). Now, if Keenum does well enough to keep the job, good for him and Haskins keeps sitting.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

i think he will start the game after the pats which would be vs the niners at home or maybe coming off the by week. I think case will play better then alex did.

I’d love to see it but I think Case will have more turnovers which will be part of the reason we lose almost every or every game the first month of the season and eventually turn to Haskins.

Winning the turnover battle is imperative to winning in the NFL and Case & Colt have mostly been turnover prone QBs except for Case in his one year with the Vikings.

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Many guys have been thrown out week 1 with no OL too and then also got their confidence destroyed.

Is he a one season commitment, or are you trying to develop a QB that you're gonna want to ride for 10+ years?

I'm not saying to hold him out of the entire season. I agree that you learn by playing and he should be starting his rookie season. I just don't think that it's a smart move as a team to do it Week 1. Do it Week 5 and then keep him in for the next 11 games and then have him start all 16 in year 2.

Yeah, and those are almost always the guys who didn't have ”it” anyways. Like people comparing Ramsey & Haskins on Twitter doesn't equate to me.

Haskins is a much better prospect than Ramsey was. Guys who are Alpha’s don't lose their confidence bc of a bad game, some bad hits, bad ints or whatever. It's already clear w/ Haskins after he's made some bad plays in the two preseason games. He's not phased, he just goes out there and plays the next play. He forgets the bad plays and moves onto the next one. That's a great quality to have and a much-needed one.

watched on betamax tape 

First team defense looks great with the DL line the strength

Kick off coverage- stinky. Our guys aren't in their lanes. who is the coach anyway?

Kicker- needs more practice and less running laps

2aqUJc.gif

MVP looking ready for a good year

Haskins to Davis

tumblr_lyegs2dhxl1r0re1to1_r1_500.gif?w=

Davis  reminds me of Terrell Owens- small school, tall, Davis is incredibly fast 4.41. 

Its tough to run with all those backups on the OL. 

We may finally have a punt returner? 

didn't watch the second half as I was sick of all those bad calls by the officials and none of those guys are going to make it anyway

Edited by Doc Draper

6 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

watched on betamax tape 

First team defense looks great with the DL line the strength

Kick off coverage- stinky. Our guys aren't in their lanes. who is the coach anyway?

Kicker- needs more practice and less running laps

2aqUJc.gif

MVP looking ready for a good year

Haskins to Davis

tumblr_lyegs2dhxl1r0re1to1_r1_500.gif?w=

Davis  reminds me of Terrell Owens- small school, tall, Davis is incredibly fast 4.41. 

Its tough to run with all those backups on the OL. 

We may finally have a punt returner? 

didn't watch the second half as I was sick of all those bad calls by the officials and none of those guys are going to make it anyway

Punt returner got hurt, hopefully its not too serious and I doubt be makes it just bc of a punt return.  We have others who can do punt returner, I don't know if we have the #s to keep a 4th or 5th RB just to have active for punt returns.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Punt returner got hurt, hopefully its not too serious and I doubt be makes it just bc of a punt return.  We have others who can do punt returner, I don't know if we have the #s to keep a 4th or 5th RB just to have active for punt returns.

with our team- punt returns will be even more important than usual. strong defensive front leads to more punts. Combine that with weak Offense and we need to manufacturer field position and points from special teams