Redskins vs Bengals Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 2 (8/15/19)

MKnight82

56 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Isn't Mr Irrelevant bad thumb sposed to be our primary punt returner ?

Probably, but him being out is giving the long shot a chance. Probably just a shot at a practice squat spot, but hey, take what you can get!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Isn't Mr Irrelevant bad thumb sposed to be our primary punt returner ?

Yes, I was just going to say that. Stroman returns punts too and so does Byron Marshall if he makes the team and I think McLaurin has that ability but I'm not sure. I know they drafted him to bolster special teams this year and I can't imagine that'd be just to be a gunner. I also thought that Apke may have been a return man at one time at Penn State but I’d have to look that up.  So Apke only returned one punt in his college career and it was as a senior.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Stroman returns punts too

Haven't seen much of that this season so far (injuries?), but he was less than whelming when he did it last year.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

so does Byron Marshall if he makes the team

Barring injuries in front of him, he's not making the team.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think McLaurin has that ability but I'm not sure

If he's in the mix for starting WR, there's very small chance they take the chance on him returning punts.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I also thought that Apke may have been a return man at one time at Penn State but I’d have to look that up. 

Given his play at safety, he should be clamoring to get a chance at PR.

Just now, Woz said:

Haven't seen much of that this season so far (injuries?), but he was less than whelming when he did it last year.

Barring injuries in front of him, he's not making the team.

If he's in the mix for starting WR, there's very small chance they take the chance on him returning punts.

Given his play at safety, he should be clamoring to get a chance at PR.

I get it, the point I'm trying to make though is we have guys who are capable of doing it besides just Wilson.

I really want to see Haskins out there with the 1s next week. I want to see what he can do when hes got a better line in front of him. If this is a fair competition then you have to put him out there with the 1s next week. I want to see how involved he is with Terry, and Jordan. Hes shown flashes but hes not getting a good enough pass block with the 2nd unit. also with peterson and guice i dont thin k you will see him in as many 2nd and 3rd and longs. Put him with the 1s next week and evaluate him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, and those are almost always the guys who didn't have ”it” anyways. Like people comparing Ramsey & Haskins on Twitter doesn't equate to me.

Haskins is a much better prospect than Ramsey was. Guys who are Alpha’s don't lose their confidence bc of a bad game, some bad hits, bad ints or whatever. It's already clear w/ Haskins after he's made some bad plays in the two preseason games. He's not phased, he just goes out there and plays the next play. He forgets the bad plays and moves onto the next one. That's a great quality to have and a much-needed one.

But again, you don't know who has "it" and who doesn't until after they have already gotten their confidence destroyed and the pressure intensifying on them to produce. There've been lots of QBs who were supposed to have "it" and then get thrown to the wolves, then pulled midway through their rookie season and then didn't recover from that because they always thought they needed to press in order to keep their job. Which is why I am very hesitant to put any rookie QB out there Week 1. It's a big risk you're taking by not waiting only 4-5 weeks. Not worth it to me especially given our OL right now can't pass block or run block.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

But again, you don't know who has "it" and who doesn't until after they have already gotten their confidence destroyed and the pressure intensifying on them to produce. There've been lots of QBs who were supposed to have "it" and then get thrown to the wolves, then pulled midway through their rookie season and then didn't recover from that because they always thought they needed to press in order to keep their job. Which is why I am very hesitant to put any rookie QB out there Week 1. It's a big risk you're taking by not waiting only 4-5 weeks. Not worth it to me especially given our OL right now can't pass block or run block.

But there's only one way to find out. and I don't think it matters much whether that's week 1 or week 6. 

Rookie QBs start every year and sometimes they do way better than some think, can't be scared.

Personally, I don't think Haskins is going to be any different a QB in week 6 then he will be week 1 and I don't think the left side of our OL will be any different either unless by some miracle Trent comes to his senses after missing some game checks in September.

2 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I really want to see Haskins out there with the 1s next week. I want to see what he can do when hes got a better line in front of him. If this is a fair competition then you have to put him out there with the 1s next week. I want to see how involved he is with Terry, and Jordan. Hes shown flashes but hes not getting a good enough pass block with the 2nd unit. also with peterson and guice i dont thin k you will see him in as many 2nd and 3rd and longs. Put him with the 1s next week and evaluate him

exactly, if its a open comp like gruden says then haskins should get time with the 1's

• Like 1