Redskins vs Falcons Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 3 (8/22/19)

MKnight82

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Aside from Manusky, I'm really worried about how we are going to handle pass coverage against TE's and taller, bulkier WR's.  Our ILB corps doesn't inspire much confidence, nor the safeties from a coverage standpoint.  There definitely is some talent, and those weaknesses can be negated by a good pass-rush, but I'm not going to put money on it. 

IMO we have to use JHC, especially in obvious passing situations. He's 6’4, and a former SS from college. He's as good a shot as we got in covering tall TEs.

But, this is a league-wide problem. Every team has trouble covering good to great  receiving TEs who are 6’3 plus bc most of the defenders (LBs & safeties) trying to cover them are 6’1 or shorter.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Aside from Manusky, I'm really worried about how we are going to handle pass coverage against TE's and taller, bulkier WR's.  Our ILB corps doesn't inspire much confidence, nor the safeties from a coverage standpoint.  There definitely is some talent, and those weaknesses can be negated by a good pass-rush, but I'm not going to put money on it. 

It’s the ILBs in particular for me. I’m worried about deep range with Nicholson and Collins when we’re asking one of them to play single-high, but I think they can hold their own closer to the LOS. The good receiving TEs will still give them trouble in man coverage, but that’s true of most safeties. 

To me, the big concern is that our ILBs just aren’t athletic enough to match up with any of their assignments in pass coverage. Bostic is basically Mason Foster without Instagram, and I just don’t think SDH has showed the athleticism to really make plays on the perimeter. Maybe JHC pushes into more playing time and makes a difference, but I think on 3rd downs and other pivotal plays, teams will continue to go to packages and pre-snap motions that isolate the ILBs on the RBs and TEs and slot WRs. They just can’t keep up, and I feel like we’re gonna be stuck on the field (as we have been for years). 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s the ILBs in particular for me. I’m worried about deep range with Nicholson and Collins when we’re asking one of them to play single-high, but I think they can hold their own closer to the LOS. The good receiving TEs will still give them trouble in man coverage, but that’s true of most safeties. 

To me, the big concern is that our ILBs just aren’t athletic enough to match up with any of their assignments in pass coverage. Bostic is basically Mason Foster without Instagram, and I just don’t think SDH has showed the athleticism to really make plays on the perimeter. Maybe JHC pushes into more playing time and makes a difference, but I think on 3rd downs and other pivotal plays, teams will continue to go to packages and pre-snap motions that isolate the ILBs on the RBs and TEs and slot WRs. They just can’t keep up, and I feel like we’re gonna be stuck on the field (as we have been for years). 

... So you're telling me we should have drafted an ILB higher than the 5th to 7th rounds the last 3 years??

Imagine that! What a noble concept, drafting an ILB in the mid-rounds at the latest.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I dunno. I've watched Bostic and he seems to be a lot quicker than Mason was.

47 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I dunno. I've watched Bostic and he seems to be a lot quicker than Mason was.

Bostic is faster and more athletic, but for some reason, that doesn't translate into good coverage for him and it never has. That's the main reason he never has stuck on any team past a few years despite usually having tackling numbers around 100 and being the signal-caller on defense.

Edited by turtle28

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Bostic is faster and more athletic, but for some reason, that doesn't translate into good coverage for him and it never has. That's the main reason he never has stuck on any team past a few years despite usually having tackling numbers around 100 and being the signal-caller on defense.

I get that. I'm just comparing him to Mason. I think he's better than e16 gives him credit for. I watched him break on plays and his break was pretty fast. He was easily getting to the throws to the flat and sides faster than I've seen our ILBs do for awhile now. But make no mistake, I do have ILB high on my list for the draft. LT, ILB are high on my list along with TE.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I get that. I'm just comparing him to Mason. I think he's better than e16 gives him credit for. I watched him break on plays and his break was pretty fast. He was easily getting to the throws to the flat and sides faster than I've seen our ILBs do for awhile now. But make no mistake, I do have ILB high on my list for the draft. LT, ILB are high on my list along with TE.

Hopefully you’re right. He may not be as slow as Mason, but having watched him with the Steelers a fair amount last season, he definitely seemed to be a straight-line player for the most part. Downhill thumper for me, but I will happily be proven wrong. I’m with you, I think ILB is a huge need, and it keeps getting pushed back down the list every year due to other (bigger) problems popping up. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Hopefully you’re right. He may not be as slow as Mason, but having watched him with the Steelers a fair amount last season, he definitely seemed to be a straight-line player for the most part. Downhill thumper for me, but I will happily be proven wrong. I’m with you, I think ILB is a huge need, and it keeps getting pushed back down the list every year due to other (bigger) problems popping up. 

From what I've seen/read/heard about Bostic is that he's an athletic LB but that speed and athleticism doesn't translate to the field bc his instincts aren't great. He's also a liability in coverage, which you don't think would be the case bc he's athletic for his size but again bc of his instincts it keeps him from being a good as he could be given his physical gifts.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

... So you're telling me we should have drafted an ILB higher than the 5th to 7th rounds the last 3 years??

Imagine that! What a noble concept, drafting an ILB in the mid-rounds at the latest.

I didn't want to rely on Foster/Nicholson but they probably decided they had Rueben locked in and nothing could possibly happen.

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

wow ... it's as if an echo of former Woz's came out of the ether ...

still could have had Zach Cunningham ...

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 12:15 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, I never use any of the forums I've posted on from my phone, or even a tablet without a full keyboard.  I absolutely hate that kind of interface. 

MRW dealing with my phone on the forums for more than 20 seconds:

giphy.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Woz said:

wow ... it's as if an echo of former Woz's came out of the ether ...

still could have had Zach Cunningham ...

Wozs tombstone will read:

Loving Husband

Devoted Father

Bitter Redskins Fan

”They Could of had Zach Cunningham”

• Like 2