Extensions Coming.

dll2000

Absolutely zero doubt in my mind this is for Cody Whitehair. Why on earth would Floyd agree to an extension right before what could be a breakout season for him in a contract year. Makes no sense. DT would make a ton of sense too. I think all 3 end up getting extensions between now and next spring and Kyle Long + Taylor Gabriel are the casualties. 

They all just roll forward the money they don’t use this season.

Leno took a real team friendly deal by adding a couple of non guaranteed years to his deal.

Whitehair should get extended and eat up a good portion of the 20 million. Maybe try and get someone like RRH signed while he is an ERFA.

• Like 1

If I am the Bears I also talk to RRH about an extension.

They have him for 2 years (ERFA, RFA) for about 4.5 million.

I would offer him 2 more years at 10 million/7 guaranteed and see if he can say no.

4 years 14.5 million/7 guaranteed or play 2019 for 600k. 

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Can't disagree with you that it's very possible Pace could do that.

He hasn't earned Dee Ford or Frank Clark kind of money though so if he decides he wants to remain a Bear he might be had for far less.

He’s probably not nearly as far from it as you’d think. Trey Flowers just got 5/90 with 56 in total guarantees as a DE coming off 3 consecutive years with 7.0, 6.5 and 7.5 sacks. Those Flowers numbers are Alex Brown, solid but not top tier level numbers. When Olivier Vernon hit for 5/85 with 52.5 in total guarantees he had 29 sacks in 4 years and was 2 years removed from double-digit sacks, and that deal was signed three years ago already. Floyd doesn’t have to put up huge numbers to have similar expectations. Now, Floyd won’t be a UDFA next offseason, but should he choose a holdout next season rather than playing on a 1/13 deal when someone else may gladly pay him 50+ in guarantees and give up a high pick to do so it shouldn’t be surprising either. 

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If I am the Bears I also talk to RRH about an extension.

They have him for 2 years (ERFA, RFA) for about 4.5 million.

I would offer him 2 more years at 10 million/7 guaranteed and see if he can say no.

4 years 14.5 million/7 guaranteed or play 2019 for 600k. 

That sounds like an incredibly team friendly deal to me. For as much hype as Nichols has gotten this offseason (and deservingly so) he and RRH had very similar statistical outputs in 2018 with similar snap counts. Projecting his 2018 output over Hicks’ snap count would show a comparable output. We certainly don’t know that the rate of production would remain constant with 120% more snaps, but someone Is likely to pay him far more than 2/10 to find out if he’s patient enough to wait for UFA. He can probably already expect a 2nd round RFA tender next year which will net him over $3M. 

It's always possible Pace has guys like RRH and UDFA Chuck Harris in the back of his mind as players he has now who might take up some of the slack if Floyd can't be retained.  They've already talked about using RRH some as an Edge Rusher.  Haven't heard anything about Harris though but I think he might be injured.  And then there's the question of whether or not Betts will ever develop.

But from what I can see none of those guys has the pure athleticism that would allow them to function as a complete OLB as Floyd is able to do.  Based on that my thinking as we either have to pay Floyd or draft someone more similar to his skill set as a replacement.  Expecting even one of three UDFAs to ever rise to that level is IMHO very wishful thinking.

Unless Floyd is willing to sign a very team friendly deal now my guess is he's off the board for now which leaves Whitehair (certain), Trevathan (possible), ARob (would be very smart), and RRH (now the time to do it) as players Pace could be focusing on.  $21 mil gives him some nice leeway to work with.

Many have been stressing about 2020-21 cap for two years.  Pace has too and has a plan.

We have one of 5 best GMs in league because we were patient and let a smart and driven guy learn on the job and didn't freak out over every mistake.  

There is a lesson there.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

We need to draft a tackle or two soon. 

Depends somewhat on how Coward works out.

Massie is here through 2020 at least and Leno through 2021 but I agree that somewhere along the line we'll need to start drafting for OT.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, soulman said:

Depends somewhat on how Coward works out.

Massie is here through 2020 at least and Leno through 2021 but I agree that somewhere along the line we'll need to start drafting for OT.

Yeah, addressing this in the draft has been an obvious casualty of the draft day trades. That said, they were moved that could reasonably be made when they were because we were solid with Leno and Massie already in place and had more pressing needs elsewhere. Now that those other needs have been filled I expect OT will again move far closer to the top of the list. It’s one that really needs to be a draft and development fill though - there aren’t 64 good starting OTs in the league so to expect to find a good one on the cheap in FA is a pipe dream. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, addressing this in the draft has been an obvious casualty of the draft day trades. That said, they were moved that could reasonably be made when they were because we were solid with Leno and Massie already in place and had more pressing needs elsewhere. Now that those other needs have been filled I expect OT will again move far closer to the top of the list. It’s one that really needs to be a draft and development fill though - there aren’t 64 good starting OTs in the league so to expect to find a good one on the cheap in FA is a pipe dream. 

I'm actually hesitant to see Pace spend a top pick on an OT.  So many have failed to live up to their billing of late.

It might be smart to keep doing what we have been drafting OL in round two and later and allowing HH to work with them to elevate their game.  That second round seems like where Pace has a lot of magic happening.  But we do need more depth at OT soon.

• Like 2

I would rather he use high picks on R Smith types where you're getting a guaranteed player.  While our OT depth is.. shallow..? We do have 2 decent-good ones, so can take a chance on someone who needs development or recovery from injury.  Hopefully Pace can have success with this roster and keep having results from his mid round picks. 

• Like 2