Copeland Suspended 4 Games

GangGreen420

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

He said he cleared the supplement multiple times but the substance was not on the label.

They are so strict on the PED stuff but I wonder if he has any chance to appeal because he cleared it multiple times and it was labeled improperly.

League seems to have a zero-tolerance policy on PEDs. He's going to have to sue the supplement manufacturer for his lost game checks. 

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

League seems to have a zero-tolerance policy on PEDs. He's going to have to sue the supplement manufacturer for his lost game checks. 

Probably true.  Sucks to get burned like that but who knows what are in these supplements since they aren't FDA regulated.  Surprised this doesn't happen more to be honest.

They really need to adjust the drug policy. It's getting kind of ridiculous. 

Anyway, Copeland was arguably our most efficient OLBs last year and has looked good in TC/Preseason. This may be the kind of thing that spurs the team into action... Copeland will have a role when he gets back regardless, but are they comfortable with Jenkins and Mosely as the only two LBs who are starting-caliber players? I'm not sure about it. 

It'll be interesting to monitor the Clowney talk over the next few weeks. While I don't think it would be wise, Douglas may see this team as one more equipped to win now than he initially thought. 

Easy fix for these PED suspensions where the players say what they took they thought was ok. Make everything they purchase through the nfl. Nfl gets a cut of the money from the player and obviously the player still has to pay for the actual product. But since purchased through the nfl then the player is no longer at fault of the distributor tainted a product.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Easy fix for these PED suspensions where the players say what they took they thought was ok. Make everything they purchase through the nfl. Nfl gets a cut of the money from the player and obviously the player still has to pay for the actual product. But since purchased through the nfl then the player is no longer at fault of the distributor tainted a product.

I really like that idea. Put the onus on the league and hold the players responsible for bypassing that regulation. Alas, the players union would never go for that. 

Why on Earth does NFL have to baby-sit millionaires?   We are in the free country.  Also, it is natural for a lot of people to go through quickly and lazily.  That is their problem not NFL's.   Most of their "oopsie" events were inexcusable.

Read the banned substance policy and don't buy something new that you never hear or see before are only ways to go.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Why on Earth does NFL have to baby-sit millionaires?   We are in the free country.  Also, it is natural for a lot of people to go through quickly and lazily.  That is their problem not NFL's.   Most of their "oopsie" events were inexcusable.

Read the banned substance policy and don't buy something new that you never hear or see before are only ways to go.

These guys are buying products that are ok. And yet the companies still put hints of stuff that the mil checks for in the ingredients without telling the player. NFLs stance is you’re responsible for what goes into your body. And that’s 100% true. But to get in trouble for stuff that’s supposed to be ok for the nfl and get suspended isn’t ok with me. It should be that if something is put in a product that’s illegal that the nfl okays... the player is clear. The trace of something against the policy would be so small if it was tainted by the company that the nfl would know it was the companies issue not the players.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:38 AM, Bobby816 said:

I think they just need to implement a tiered system. There are two policies: the substances of abuse (aka recreational drug policy) and the performance enhancing substance policy. The "PED" policy allows for the NFL to suspend up to 6 games for first time offenders (see Patrick Peterson), but it's frustrating that 4 games is the baseline. The policy is supposed to be discretionary the way the "drug" policy is (at least based on the language), but there are limited to no instances where a player has been suspended for less than 4 games for using a banned performance enhancing substance. 

I would implement the following: 

• 2 games for banned supplements/mistake. A player shouldn't win an appeal for negligence. Players are paid handsome salaries to be available to play football; they should triple-check that a substance is cleared by the policy before taking it. 
  • 4 games for HGH/Steroids. Obviously taking illegal supplements/steroids/HGH is more aggregious and such suspension should carry heavier weight than an over-the-counter supplement should.  
  • 6 games for 2nd time offender (either supplements or HGH/steroids). If you've been suspended before and still haven't learned your lesson, then you warrant a 6 game suspension regardless of what you took. 
  • 10-16 games for 3rd time offender. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I think they just need to implement a tiered system. There are two policies: the substances of abuse (aka recreational drug policy) and the performance enhancing substance policy. The "PED" policy allows for the NFL to suspend up to 6 games for first time offenders (see Patrick Peterson), but it's frustrating that 4 games is the baseline. The policy is supposed to be discretionary the way the "drug" policy is (at least based on the language), but there are limited to no instances where a player has been suspended for less than 4 games for using a banned performance enhancing substance. 

I would implement the following: 

• 2 games for banned supplements/mistake. A player shouldn't win an appeal for negligence. Players are paid handsome salaries to be available to play football; they should triple-check that a substance is cleared by the policy before taking it. 
  • 4 games for HGH/Steroids. Obviously taking illegal supplements/steroids/HGH is more aggregious and such suspension should carry heavier weight than an over-the-counter supplement should.  
  • 6 games for 2nd time offender (either supplements or HGH/steroids). If you've been suspended before and still haven't learned your lesson, then you warrant a 6 game suspension regardless of what you took. 
  • 10-16 games for 3rd time offender. 

That is a good guideline.   However, I still like 4 games to start off.  I don't recall that NFL actually reduce a length of suspension so that suggested that players were actually careless.  2 non negotiable games for this kind of behavior is too lenient.   Golden Tate situation is unfortunate as he is ideal for your guideline but not many players like him anyway.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

These guys are buying products that are ok. And yet the companies still put hints of stuff that the mil checks for in the ingredients without telling the player. NFLs stance is you’re responsible for what goes into your body. And that’s 100% true. But to get in trouble for stuff that’s supposed to be ok for the nfl and get suspended isn’t ok with me. It should be that if something is put in a product that’s illegal that the nfl okays... the player is clear. The trace of something against the policy would be so small if it was tainted by the company that the nfl would know it was the companies issue not the players.

NFL has investigating team for that.   Although I have zero evidence to back me up, I do believe NFL will excuse players if a hidden substance is confirmed.  I think I remember that NFL or one of pro sport club did acknowledge a certain player that the product he has been taking for a several years is newly added to the banned list due to a different name for adderall. That player took it anyway.

There will be a serious civil right lawsuit against NFL if they actually ignore a tainted substance incident. So far, I haven't heard one so I don't believe in players.