The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Williams isn't that good. If I'm tossing 13m around, I can do better. The Jets had 1 offer, from a GM obsessed with fatties, that should tell you all you need to know. I'd rather pay AShawn Robinson or Jarran Reed less than that with no DP compensation than pay Williams for his top 5 draft hype that has faded.

Disagree, Williams needs the right home.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Disagree, Williams needs the right home.

I'm not going to hand over 4/55 and hope that this is that home. Granted you get an 8 game sample, but you also aren't going to get any loyalty if you let him play 8 games and then try and sign him in Feb. He can probably get 15-16m based on draft hype in the open market.

There's going to be equal talent available for free of draft pick compensation. 

I'm more disappointed someone like Wolfe or Ioannidis weren't out there for modest offers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Lowry signed in July. Wlliams traded in October. And Williams is a rental that will cost a 3rd and a 5th that could be a 4th

Lowry was a bad signing in July. 

When you sign middling players to deals a year ahead of time, you kill your flexibility to make moves like this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not going to hand over 4/55 and hope that this is that home. Granted you get an 8 game sample, but you also aren't going to get any loyalty if you let him play 8 games and then try and sign him in Feb. He can probably get 15-16m based on draft hype in the open market.

There's going to be equal talent available for free of draft pick compensation. 

I'm more disappointed someone like Wolfe or Ioannidis weren't out there for modest offers.

You start working on his contract immediately. Doesn't mean you have to ink him tomorrow. You keep conversations going, keep the pot warm. If at the end of the day he walks away, you take your 3rd round comp pick and move on?

Williams adds another guy that teams actually have to be aware of.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lowry was a bad signing in July. 

When you sign middling players to deals a year ahead of time, you kill your flexibility to make moves like this. 

6.5m deals don't do anything to hinder you in the NFL.

Also we did this with Jordy and came out like Kings, Vikings did it with Thielen too. Try and sign then before a true breakout. Haven't really hit with Dean, oh well.

Lowry performs as a 6.5m 2nd contract DL in the NFL. Nothing bad about that contract. We got what we're paying for. Neutral value.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You start working on his contract immediately. Doesn't mean you have to ink him tomorrow. You keep conversations going, keep the pot warm. If at the end of the day he walks away, you take your 3rd round comp pick and move on?

Williams adds another guy that teams actually have to be aware of.

Again. 1/31 GMs made an offer. 1/31. He's not that good, we're not missing much here and no team is going to play the Packers with Clark, Jaire, the Smith's and Savage and give a damn about 0 sack 2019 Leonard Williams.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

That may turn out to be true, but you still can't play the game you're playing. 

Why not? If it's not Williams, you bring in it's one of a few other dudes you're looking at in the off season after Lowry walks. It's not like Lowry is going to be less receptive to taking 6.5 million after this season?

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Again. 1/31 GMs made an offer. 1/31. He's not that good, we're not missing much here and no team is going to play the Packers with Clark, Jaire, the Smith's and Savage and give a damn about 0 sack 2019 Leonard Williams.

I guess I'm highly skeptical of the 1/31 claim. 

In the pressure package, you bet your *** Williams is getting more of a look than a guy like Lowry. Williams had double the pass rushing productivity numbers that Lowry did last year.

Even more so, Williams isn't a guy you can target in the running game like Lowry is. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why not? If it's not Williams, you bring in it's one of a few other dudes you're looking at in the off season after Lowry walks. It's not like Lowry is going to be less receptive to taking 6.5 million after this season?

It's a can of worms that never ends. Should have drafted this guy instead of that guy. Should have signed this guy instead of that guy. Should have cut this guy and picked up that guy. It's bad for your health

Just now, cannondale said:

It's a can of worms that never ends. Should have drafted this guy instead of that guy. Should have signed this guy instead of that guy. Should have cut this guy and picked up that guy. It's bad for your health

Okay, but that's not hindsight. The only way it's hindsight is if the opinion changed on the Lowry signing between now and when it was inked.