The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Tell me about them...I think this is the least I've looked into the MLB Draft.

Gilbert: 6’5 220 Smooth Delivery, great extension (probably a big towel drill guy), FB was topping out at 95-97 mph last year but has been somewhat inconsistent this year sitting around 90-92 mph but it has seen an uptick in Velo over the past month or so. Has some potentially above average secondary stuff (change up being his best) but he doesn’t throw them often. 

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Gilbert: 6’5 220 Smooth Delivery, great extension (probably a big towel drill guy), FB was topping out at 95-97 mph last year but has been somewhat inconsistent this year sitting around 90-92 mph but it has seen an uptick in Velo over the past month or so. Has some potentially above average secondary stuff (change up being his best) but he doesn’t throw them often. 

Sounds kinda like Lance Lynn.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Make yourself useful rams...

Ha Brewers have crushed the draft recently and we have no bonus pool, so I'm good. They've bought a year of "eh do whatever you want".

Rolison is a low 90's lefty, not that big, and will need work on the secondaries. Good SEC performer. I'm meh.

I like Gilbert better. Smaller school and probably more upside than your normal college starter. Good CB, and has shown good velocity but not consistently. 

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Ha Brewers have crushed the draft recently and we have no bonus pool, so I'm good. They've bought a year of "eh do whatever you want".

Rolison is a low 90's lefty, not that big, and will need work on the secondaries. Good SEC performer. I'm meh.

I like Gilbert better. Smaller school and probably more upside than your normal college starter. Good CB, and has shown good velocity but not consistently. 

Every year you complained about the Brewers pick, and for the most part it turned out reasonably well.  I looked briefly at those two.  Rolison seems a LOT like Austin Gomber.  Prefer Gilbert too.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Every year you complained about the Brewers pick, and for the most part it turned out reasonably well.  I looked briefly at those two.  Rolison seems a LOT like Austin Gomber.  Prefer Gilbert too.

Que?

Recent 1st round picks:

Year - Player - My take
2017 - Keston Hirua - Was happy with it
2016 - Corey Ray - Was furious because I wanted AJ Puk. tbh I was right about that one even though Puk's arm exploded.
2015 - Trent Clark - Was happy about it
2014 - Kodi Medeiros - Was upset about it only until I saw we used the slot savings to sign Jake Gatewood and Monte Harrison. Then I was happy.
2013 - No 1st rounder because we signed Kyle fricking Lohse - Was rightly furious about it
2012 - Clint Coulter/Victor Roache - Wasn't happy with Coulter, but was okay with it because our prep bat track record was good. Was happy with Roache.
2011 - Taylor Jungmann/Jed Bradley - Was rightly furious about Jungmann. Was happier with Bradley.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah don’t really care much for either. Definitely would pick Gilbert over Rolison though. Would pick Ethan Hankins over both of them though...

I'm avoiding that dude like the plague. Mid 80's velocity and no confirmation of a specific injury to justify it? Sell sell sell. Let Vandy fix him and take him in 3 years. I'm also off the Shane McClanahan bandwagon. Velocity has been way down.

Guys in the 20-50 range I like include Kyler Murray, Logan Gilbert, Connor Scott, Kumar Rocker, and Xavier Edwards

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm avoiding that dude like the plague. Mid 80's velocity and no confirmation of a specific injury to justify it? Sell sell sell. Let Vandy fix him and take him in 3 years. I'm also off the Shane McClanahan bandwagon. Velocity has been way down.

Guys in the 20-50 range I like include Kyler Murray, Logan Gilbert, Connor Scott, Kumar Rocker, and Xavier Edwards

Heard his FB was a tick below what he threw last year but didn’t hear the mid-80s reports....interesting. 

23 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Heard his FB was a tick below what he threw last year but didn’t hear the mid-80s reports....interesting. 

Yep has had a sore shoulder, but no structural damage. Was high 80's/low 90's in some starts, mid-80's in at least one. Let Vandy work their wizard magic on him.

Which college programs do you trust with pitchers? Which would you avoid like the plague? 

I know Vandy has a good track record with doing right by their pitchers both in terms of development that works in the majors and keeping them healthy. I seem to remember Rice at one point having a reputation of absolutely ruining their pitchers arms so that they blow up within a year or 2; don't know if they still do.

What others good or bad do you got?