Bears Roster Cuts

soulman

1 hour ago, soulman said:

LOL.....it's almost a throwback name like something from the '20s or '30s.

Regardless, I'd like to see him on the PS.  He's very similar to Burton as a Move TE type.

He could be a Burton down the line.  Very similar.  He might even be more naturally athletic.  Burton was a nobody and developed in Philly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I've thought about this, # 1 you cant reduce his cap hit.  He is a franchised player and the deadline to extend a tagged player has passed.  You have to live with his $15M guaranteed hit for 2019 no matter what.  That's a steep hit and would eat up almost all of the remaining money for 2019.  On top of that you cant even talk extension until the year is over.  He is going to demand somewhere around Frank Clark money in a new deal.  If Pace really wanted to do that deal, you would almost have to include Floyd in the trade in order to help offset costs.  Then you lose that control for next year too.  

That would negate any interest we'd have then.  I was under the impression that while obligated to the guaranteed amount of the tag it could also be restructured as a signing bonus as part of an extension by a new team.

I'm not sold on Clowney vs the hope that we may see from Floyd what we've all been waiting for but I am somewhat curious as to what Pace intends to do with his cap excess other than extend Cody Whitehair.

After pulling off the Mack trade last year nothing he could do would shock me any longer.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He could be a Burton down the line.  Very similar.  He might even be more naturally athletic.  Burton was a nobody and developed in Philly.  

Be nice to have someone around in training for the "Move TE" spot. 

• Like 1

Latest Summary as of 9:40 AM MDT.

Roster count (70)

Live Tracker

• OT Joe Lowery is cut. (source)
  • OL Marquez Tucker is cut. (source)
  • OLB Mathieu Betts has been cut. (source)
  • DB Doyin Jibowu has been released. (source)
  • WR Tanner Gentry has been waived. (source)
  • DB Clifton Duck has been cut. (source)
  • TE Ian Bunting is cut. (source)
  • WR Marvin Hall did not make the roster. (source)
  • ILB Jameer Thurman has been cut. (source)
  • DL Jalen Dalton has been waived. (source)
  • DT Daryle Banfield has been cut. (source)
  • DL Chuck Harris has been cut. (source)
  • RB Josh Caldwell has been cut. (source)
  • The Bears are releasing former third-round pick Jonathan Bullard. (source)
  • DB John Franklin III will be put on waivers. (source)
  • DL Johnathan Harris will be cut. (source)
  • WR Jordan Williams-Lambert will be placed on waivers. (source)
  • Rookie DB Stephen Denmark will be cut. (source)
  • WR Thomas Ives will be cut. (source)

Four more added to list.

Roster count (66)

Live Tracker

• OT Joe Lowery is cut. (source)
  • OL Marquez Tucker is cut. (source)
  • OLB Mathieu Betts has been cut. (source)
  • DB Doyin Jibowu has been released. (source)
  • WR Tanner Gentry has been waived. (source)
  • DB Clifton Duck has been cut. (source)
  • TE Ian Bunting is cut. (source)
  • WR Marvin Hall did not make the roster. (source)
  • ILB Jameer Thurman has been cut. (source)
  • DL Jalen Dalton has been waived. (source)
  • DT Daryle Banfield has been cut. (source)
  • DL Chuck Harris has been cut. (source)
  • RB Josh Caldwell has been cut. (source)
  • The Bears are releasing former third-round pick Jonathan Bullard. (source)
  • DB John Franklin III will be put on waivers. (source)
  • DL Johnathan Harris will be cut. (source)
  • WR Jordan Williams-Lambert will be placed on waivers. (source)
  • Rookie DB Stephen Denmark will be cut. (source)
  • WR Thomas Ives will be cut. (source)
  • Ryan Nall will be placed on waivers. (source)
  • The Bears will cut former sixth-round pick Kylie Fitts. (source
  • QB Tyler Bray has been cut. (source)
  • TE Jesper Horsted has been cut. (source)

Bunting, Horstead are both priority PS candidates for TE. I've heard people say IR Dax Raymond but "meh". 

Nall is worth a ps spot... But not a priority.  I think that guy who played last night is basically just as easily slotted in. 

Gotta think Denmark gets one or thrown on IR was drafted and we've still never actually seen him. 

I don't care at all about Duck. 

I'm actually a bit surprised we're keeping Whyte... He had one great return where he just sprinted untouched (and got called back for penalty) , and I thought looked relatively poor other wise... No lateral agility, and goes down super easy.. I was expecting him to go to practice squad

WR wise I'm blanking a bit on names, maybe Ives

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

Ten will be signed to the PS once they've cleared through any waivers required.

My picks so far would be:

Bray/QB

Nall/RB

Horstead/TE

Bunting/TE

Denmark/DB

Duck/DB

I'm in agreement with all of them, but would add Ives as well.

I want to have him focus on bulking up to compete as a flex TE next year. Ives is 6'5" and has room to add some size, and Horstead showed plenty to warrant attention. Between the two you have potential depth guys.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm actually a bit surprised we're keeping Whyte... He had one great return where he just sprinted untouched (and got called back for penalty) , and I thought looked relatively poor other wise... No lateral agility, and goes down super easy.. I was expecting him to go to practice squad

I think with Whyte it's that old adage that you can't coach speed.

He has the wheels to be a top notch return guy and IMHO if we cut him someone else would sign him for that alone.

He doesn't have Cohen's elusiveness but he has his speed.  If you get him the ball in the open or spring him with a block or two not many will be able to run him down.  He'll be a "big play" hole card for Nagy while he learns and may take over for Patterson eventually.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm in agreement with all of them, but would add Ives as well.

I want to have him focus on bulking up to compete as a flex TE next year. Ives is 6'5" and has room to add some size, and Horstead showed plenty to warrant attention. Between the two you have potential depth guys.

OK, that's seven but we also need OL, DL, and LB.

30 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I didn't really think it was a lack of agility. It looked to me like he was super tentative at times, like maybe he was sort of overwhelmed by everything. With luck (if I'm right), that can be corrected. 

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

OK, that's seven but we also need OL, DL, and LB.

Now not specifically for PS of course, but -

I'd be looking at Joshua Garnett as a HH reclamation project already too, though he won't make it to us IMO in waivers

Eli Harold might be a better OLB for a 3-4

QB Tyree Jackson is who I want to add. Raw AF but physical tools are off the charts. For pure upside I would take him over Bray TBF.

ILB Brandon Marshall might be an upgrade over Kwit, I haven't watched him enough to know if he still is flying around though. His connection to DT couldn't hurt.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Now not specifically for PS of course, but -

I'd be looking at Joshua Garnett as a HH reclamation project already too, though he won't make it to us IMO in waivers

Eli Harold might be a better OLB for a 3-4

QB Tyree Jackson is who I want to add. Raw AF but physical tools are off the charts. For pure upside I would take him over Bray TBF.

ILB Brandon Marshall might be an upgrade over Kwit, I haven't watched him enough to know if he still is flying around though. His connection to DT couldn't hurt.

Gotta feelin' Marshall is damaged goods or he'd still be on a roster.

Don't know that I'd bother with a guy like Harold whose flunked off of two teams over keeping Vaughters.

Don't know enough about the others to comment.

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Gotta feelin' Marshall is damaged goods or he'd still be on a roster.

Don't know that I'd bother with a guy like Harold whose flunked off of two teams over keeping Vaughters.

Don't know enough about the others to comment.

Yeah, I have no clue what is going on with him. At this point he would be nothing but depth that has experience calling defenses. More a guy who can sub in and not kill the defense, but I see he has played in 11 games two of his last three seasons, hitting 16 the other. Maybe he wouldn't stay healthy enough to be depth.

Just saw how little he was being paid for this year too now though. It sure as hell wasn't to save on a major overpayment, so nevermind. Major red flag. lol