Cut Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The money wouldn’t just be this year though, we’d have him on a rookie deal for 3 season, the total of that contract likely being less than Colquitt this year.

If I had to bet money on who it would be, I’d bet on Colquitt.  It won’t surprise me even a little if it isn’t though.

Yeah the carry over money is all that matters but it isn't a big number and imo doesn't carry much weight because of it unless all things are equal. If we're comfortable with taking a gamble on special teams (punting/holding) then we'll do it, otherwise we won't. If Colquitt was mediocre I would do it in a heartbeat or if we weren't worried about making the playoffs.

Just now, CleBrowns07 said:

Don’t we have the 6th most cap space? 2 mill is a drop in the bucket especially if it’s for consistent veteran play

Mostly from rollover and that’s gonna get shredded up in short order when these extensions come due. Iirc we’re actually over the cap this year if not for carryover.

I wouldn’t let it be the only determining factor, but if the difference between the two is minimal, I could see it being enough to 

3 minutes ago, CleBrowns07 said:

Don’t we have the 6th most cap space? 2 mill is a drop in the bucket especially if it’s for consistent veteran play

We have a lot of money due to carry over we have one of the highest salaries in the league though and we lose a lot of carry over next year.

3 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

No way on God's green earth this happens. Two steps have to happens. One - he has to clear waivers. The way he kicked AND covered punts? Doubtful.

Then if by some miracle he make it to our practice squad - there is zero protection to the Browns. Any of the other 31 teams can swoop in at any time and sign The Hammer - with no compensation to the Browns.

In other words - the very second he leaves the Browns active roster - he gone for good.

I’d agree with this.

We keep him or he punts for someone else this year.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We have a lot of money due to carry over we have one of the highest salaries in the league though and we lose a lot of carry over next year.

I don’t understand the cap stuff as well as a lot of you guys, are you saying we’re poor af or rich af?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I can’t think of a time a punter was bad enough to legit cost a team a game.

Maybe I’m just not remember one...

I think the field position battle is extremely important though. Maybe a specific punt never cost a team a game but consistently giving another team good field position has. 

1 minute ago, CleBrowns07 said:

I think the field position battle is extremely important though. Maybe a specific punt never cost a team a game but consistently giving another team good field position has. 

I don’t disagree, like I said, I’d bet it’s Colquitt, but cap space is a real thing moving forward and if they don’t see an enormous difference between the two it wouldn’t shock me to keep the Hammer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CleBrowns07 said:

I don’t understand the cap stuff as well as a lot of you guys, are you saying we’re poor af or rich af?

We were rich af so we spent like we were rich af and we still have a lot of cap space this year but less next year and with future big contracts upcoming we are going to have to let some of our talent walk and cut some other talent because we'll be close to the cap number probably in 2021.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Unaware of any evidence that would happen with the Hammer.

Yeah and we don't know that it wouldn't, that is the gamble. He also is still learning holding for kicks which is probably as big of a factor or greater as gambling on him being as consistent as Colquitt. I'd say if all 32 teams could take either punter for 2019 it would be 32 in favor of Colquitt. For the future the Hammer is more intriguing but for 2019 Colquitt is the better option. I'm in 2019 mode so that is why I take Colquitt.