Cut Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

54 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Colquitt is one of the best punters in the NFL and we want to compete and win. Keep him and practice squad the Scottish Hammer. We aren't a 3-13 team anymore and dont need to get cute prioritizing the young guys every time. Missing the playoffs because of punting mistakes would be the most Browns thing ever.

I don’t think anyone is saying the Hammer is a better punter, just that the difference may not be enough to warrant the 2 million savings (that can roll over).

21 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’ll say Coley or Devalve would be surprise cuts 

Devalve might make the team just because our TEs besides Njoku are pretty bad. Not that Devalve is particularly "deserving" of being on the team though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Devalve might make the team just because our TEs besides Njoku are pretty bad. Not that Devalve is particularly "deserving" of being on the team though.

Agreed. Neither have shown much in the preseason but Coley's competition for a spot has played much better than Devalve's. Coley making the team would be much more surprising, with both of their base cap numbers looking similar to me, but Then again I have no idea how thr salary cap works sometimes haha.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think anyone is saying the Hammer is a better punter, just that the difference may not be enough to warrant the 2 million savings (that can roll over).

Yeah this probably comes down to how much Freddie values special teams and even though the hammer could be a stud you know you have a good consistent punter in Colquitt. I really don't think the money will be a factor although age may be. Still think we keep Colquitt.

Edited by Thomas5737

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah this probably comes down to how much Freddie values special teams and even though the hammer could be a stud you know you have a good consistent punter in Colquitt. I really don't think the money will be a factor although age may be. Still think we keep Colquitt.

The money wouldn’t just be this year though, we’d have him on a rookie deal for 3 season, the total of that contract likely being less than Colquitt this year.

If I had to bet money on who it would be, I’d bet on Colquitt.  It won’t surprise me even a little if it isn’t though.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The money wouldn’t just be this year though, we’d have him on a rookie deal for 3 season, the total of that contract likely being less than Colquitt this year.

If I had to bet money on who it would be, I’d bet on Colquitt.  It won’t surprise me even a little if it isn’t though.

Don’t we have the 6th most cap space? 2 mill is a drop in the bucket especially if it’s for consistent veteran play

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

Colquitt is one of the best punters in the NFL and we want to compete and win. Keep him and practice squad the Scottish Hammer. We aren't a 3-13 team anymore and dont need to get cute prioritizing the young guys every time. Missing the playoffs because of punting mistakes would be the most Browns thing ever.

No way on God's green earth this happens. Two steps have to happens. One - he has to clear waivers. The way he kicked AND covered punts? Doubtful.

Then if by some miracle he make it to our practice squad - there is zero protection to the Browns. Any of the other 31 teams can swoop in at any time and sign The Hammer - with no compensation to the Browns.

In other words - the very second he leaves the Browns active roster - he gone for good.

• Like 1