The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

4 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Care to explain what makes it a joke?  I already know where you're going to go with this and how you're wrong, but go ahead.  Explain.

Unintended irony.

Since the bobcats don't exist anymore and they quite literally have no future destiny.

Just now, tonyto36 said:

1.  I don't believe Bobcats can afford any sort of significant contract.

2.  I think it's hilarious you think it's impossible Covington, as an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT has zero chance of being offered a deal so big that the Sixers won't want to match it.

3.  It's also amazing that you and Covington have such an amazing telepathic connection that you know he cares about winning to the point he would, no questions asked, leave millions of dollars off his first major contract opportunity.

4.  I've already stated and pointed out several times how the Sixers have set themselves up to have potentially 2 max cap free agent slots this offseason with their deals for Amir/Reddick.  That's not a coincidence/accident.  And you're kidding yourself if they're not looking at Lebron and George and the rest of the free agents imagining the possibilities.   Do you really think they'd resign Covington instead of signing Lebron?  Is that really that crazy a notion?

It's just likely that he leaves. I don't think anyone said "we know he's gone for sure." I just expect that to be the case.

Edited by Danger

Just now, tonyto36 said:

Maybe he is and that would be because of security, but is it really that insane to think maybe, in the midst of a career year and months away from unrestricted free agency, maybe he should wait for free agency and see if some team (like the Nets who have done this before), just lap the offers he's been getting from the Sixers?  IIRC the Nets offered something insane like 30 million dollars more than the Blazers were initially offering and forced them to up their offer.

What?

I will bet everything I own he signs an extension. Maybe do a little research before you try to start a pointless argument.

You know what the 76ers can offer that the Nets can't? An extra $15M this year.

38 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I made a simple quip.  For whatever reason you're taking this as a major personal offense.  Or you're just using this to avoid the entirety of the real argument I was trying to focus on and make.   I think Covington would be dumb to sign for anything less than a max contract before this season ends, and I don't see the Sixers doing that when they could potentially land two super stars in free agency this year, including Lebron freaking James.

The rumored deal for him is 15 million bonus right now (security), and then roughly 4 years, 50 million for five years 65 million.

In unrestricted free agency he could get as much as 4 years, 80 million from a team like the Nets.

The security of signing now is nice, but that's a huge real money difference and it seems really weird you think that would be a terrible, even outrageous, choice.

That's fine, but it doesn't change that it's going to happen.

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

He signed for a lot less than he'd make in the open market.  Great deal for the Sixers.

Still not sure what your point is, as far as I can tell you have never disagreed with my point that he would make more in the open market.

He went for security when most guys go for the big pay day.  I was wrong about that.

I never disagreed with anything you said about him deserving more, but this deal was done months ago. That's why I originally commented asking if it was a joke. It was an odd thing to read on the day he was expected to be extended.

3 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I don't think you understand the point.  My point wasn't 'lawl sixers sux, who would want to b thur".

Do you agree or disagree that he would make more in the open market?  He went for security, but acting like it's absurd to think he wouldn't wait for UFA (like a lot of players do) is absurd and/or insulting is just being dumb.  Most players wait for UFA because the risk of injury in the NBA isn't nearly as high as in the NFL or NHL and you can stand to make 20+ million more in open free agency.

The Nets gave Allen Crabbe - a restricted free agent who isn't as talented as Covington, 4 years 78 million dollars.  

There is zero chance Covington wasn't offered 4 years 80+ million by someone if he continued the season as he has and stays healthy.

No one's arguing that. We're arguing (at least I am) that it was never a possibility because the deal was done so long ago.