The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

He "hurt" his shoulder a long time after he changed his form.

The Sixers IIRC were adamant he was healthy and fine to play until the media coverage and his play had deteriorated so much that they were forced to bench him.

They couldn't even get the story straight what the treatment/injury was.  The team/his agent had conflicting stories of what happened.

It was all just they needed to protect him for losing all confidence and buy some time to fix his shot.

Do you really believe this? That a kid is going to "fix" his shot within the confines of an NBA season without any actual game time?

1 minute ago, the lone star said:

I'm still looking at these contracts as inflated, but I guess you're right. In the grand scheme of things, and within the context of the salary cap, it's an appropriate deal.

I'd venture to say it's an underpayment. He's one of the best defensive wings in the league and at least a good shooter, possibly a great one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the lone star said:

But I will say this, a lot of my buddies think it is an overpayment.

It's a more team-friendly deal than the Jae Crowder deal. This gives four years instead of three, and essentially the height of his prime.

Covington has developed into a premier 3 and D guy, and those players don't grow on trees. Allen Crabbe got 4 yrs/$72mm, whereas this deal takes cap space that wasn't getting spent anyway and turns this into 4 yrs/~$45mm for Covington. That's like 60% of market rate.